Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: OKC's Starting Center

people are underrating perkins. it aint all about the stats

he's clearly a lockerroom and defensive leader

I like him as a person, but as a player is limited. In Boston he had a perfect team for him - they covered his weaknesses and emphasized his strengths, in OKC he has to shine on his own.

Scoring is not a big issue in OKC, but Perk really has to work on rebounding and improving defense, otherwise he will be dropped as a hot potato sooner or later.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Scoring is not a big issue in OKC, but Perk really has to work on rebounding and improving defense, otherwise he will be dropped as a hot potato sooner or later.
    This. His scoring isn't the issue for me, it's his defense and rebounding that's been terrible. And don't give me any of this "locker room leadership" and all that, I'm not buying it at this point.

He had a good night for his standards last night though. I'll give credit where it's due.

Whining with an already stacked team.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator

Why wouldn't we? We have the trade assets to get someone like Gortat but instead we leave then rotting in the d-league.. Yeah I'd we didn't have any trade assets you'd suck it up, but we have plenty yet for some reason are refusing to make a move to add the piece which can put us over Miami and win us rings. Hopefully we make one before the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
    Why wouldn't we? We have the trade assets to get someone like Gortat but instead we leave then rotting in the d-league.. Yeah if we didn't have any trade assets you'd suck it up, but we have plenty yet for some reason are refusing to make a move to add the piece which can put us over Miami and win us rings. Hopefully we make one before the trade deadline.
    This. If OKC didn't have three first round picks (one that's a guaranteed lottery pick) and Jeremy Lamb and Perry Jones as trade assets, they wouldn't complain nearly as much about Perkins.

Made that high school varsity squad pmj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Some interesting tidbits...

- Averages 25.0 MPG

- Averages 5.7 RPG. OKC's starting PG averages 5.1 RPG.

- Averages 4.3 PPG

- Season high in points is 12

- Has only scored in double figures 3 times

- Has scored 0 points in seven games

- Has one 1-point game and three 2-point games

- In nearly 1/3rd of OKC's games he has scored 0-2 points

- Season high in rebounds is 11

- Has only grabbed double digit rebounds in 2 games

- Has 17 games of 1-5 rebounds

- Has 7 games of 1-3 rebounds

And I get it, there's a lot of teams that would kill to be in OKC's position. They have Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Martin, and a lockdown perimeter defender. And you know what? I could probably live with his night in and night out awfulness if I didn't know we didn't have three 1st round picks, Perry Jones, and Jeremy Lamb to package in a trade.
    Heat starting PF and captain over Lebron:

- Averages 19.6 MPG

- Averages 5.2 RPG.

- Averages 3.6 PPG

- Season high in points is 13

- Has only scored in double figures 4 times

- Has scored 0 points in eight games

- Has TEN 2-point games

- In 56% of Miami's games he has scored 0-2 points

- Season high in rebounds is 12

- Has 16 games of 1-5 rebounds

- Has 9 games of 1-3 rebounds

- Gets force fed minutes at PF which in turn makes Bosh play out of position

- And unlike Perkins, CANNOT defend any Centers with legit size. Routinely gets shat upon, yet still, gets force fed minutes, force fed team captain, and lauded as the "heart and soul" of the Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by pmj

- Averages 19.6 MPG

- Averages 5.2 RPG.

- Averages 3.6 PPG

- Has TEN 2-point games

- And unlike Perkins, CANNOT defend any Centers with legit size. Routinely gets shat upon, yet still, gets force fed minutes, force fed team captain, and lauded as the "heart and soul" of the Heat.
    Then start a thread for him? This is about perk. Also how much do they earn in comparison?

I don't get why people are complaining about OKC fans bitching about perk. Last I checked we were in win now mode with assets to make the team better.

Quote Originally Posted by pmj

- Averages 19.6 MPG

- Averages 5.2 RPG.

- Averages 3.6 PPG

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/ima...ilies/roll.gif

- Has TEN 2-point games

I think you misread the thread title. It says "OKC's Starting Center" not "Miami's Starting PF". It's ok, easy mistake to make. I completely misread words all the time.

There is such a thing as having a team that's too good. Remember the 2004 Lakers?

The Thunder have neither the coach nor the point guard to make a lot of really good offensive players work well together. Suppose Perkins were replaced with a player we all know can put up 20 points. The offense becomes something that requires balance and ego-massaging; it's no longer just Durant and Westbrook effortlessly dominating and everyone else playing D and hitting open shots. They've got 2 great offensive players and 2 good ones, and they're perfect. I think if they had any more offensive proficiency they wouldn't know what to do with it.

Obviously I'm being a little dumb here - of course if their center were scoring ten points instead of five - making the basic shots off the pass Perkins consistently misses - they'd be better. But how much better? And what would they lose with the chemistry and camaraderie they've developed?

And despite all his mediocrity in every statistical area... the fact is he's still a rock solid defender in the paint, and that's good to have come playoff time. He doesn't block shots too much, but they've got Ibaka.

You'll seldom have another team's big man come in and have a ten point first quarter and set the tone. That's real important. That's what Perk guarantees. They've still gotta go through the Spurs and probably the Lakers, and oh yeah maybe the Clippers and Grizz, all of whom can kill you with their big men, before they get their rematch with the Heat (in which they should limit Perk's minutes to under 20).

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    There is such a thing as having a team that's too good. Remember the 2004 Lakers?

The Thunder have neither the coach nor the point guard to make a lot of really good offensive players work well together. Suppose Perkins were replaced with a player we all know can put up 20 points. The offense becomes something that requires balance and ego-massaging; it's no longer just Durant and Westbrook effortlessly dominating and everyone else playing D and hitting open shots. They've got 2 great offensive players and 2 good ones, and they're perfect. I think if they had any more offensive proficiency they wouldn't know what to do with it.

Obviously I'm being a little dumb here - of course if their center were scoring ten points instead of five - making the basic shots off the pass Perkins consistently misses - they'd be better. But how much better? And what would they lose with the chemistry and camaraderie they've developed?

And despite all his mediocrity in every statistical area... the fact is he's still a rock solid defender in the paint, and that's good to have come playoff time. He doesn't block shots too much, but they've got Ibaka.

You'll seldom have another team's big man come in and have a ten point first quarter and set the tone. That's real important. That's what Perk guarantees. They've still gotta go through the Spurs and probably the Lakers, and oh yeah maybe the Clippers and Grizz, all of whom can kill you with their big men, before they get their rematch with the Heat (in which they should limit Perk's minutes to under 20).
    Thing is it's not like we need an amazing center. We just need someone who can, as you said, put up those easy dunks from right under the basket that Perkins is too ****ing slow to make, someone who can average more than SIX REBOUNDS as the starting C on a contending team and someone who won't turn the ball over nearly as much as he does.. and in stupid ways.

Every fan wants his team to get better, this is just nature, especially for a team that gets worse with a stupid trade during offseason.

Every fan wants his team to get better, this is just nature, especially for a team that gets worse with a stupid trade during offseason.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

Ding dong, the Perk is gone, the perk is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
    Ding dong, the Perk is gone, the perk is gone.
    have any thunder fans found the reason why perkins played on bosh and ibaka on battier in the finals yet?