Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

What makes MJ a better mid range shooter than guys like Dirk and Bird?

Default Re: MJ is not a better mid-range shooter because he's smarter, quicker and makes better

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Jordan was the best player and scoring leader in the league at age 35. How else can he be the best at that age without a godly midrange? Its not like hes. Bigman that can get easy baskets down low with others feeding him. Instead hes creating his own shots, at age 35, and is still the best and leading scorer.

Jus because hes not white doesnt mean he cant have the best midrange

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    i honestly don't know if he is or not. If he is, it aint by much, if he's not it aint by much.

As to what makes him (if I agree that he is), I'm assuming some are referring to his consistency, his ability to hit from any side, any angle, any position, and different ways.

MJs more efficient because he finishes better at the basket

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    Jordan was the best player and scoring leader in the league at age 35. How else can he be the best at that age without a godly midrange? Its not like hes. Bigman that can get easy baskets down low with others feeding him. Instead hes creating his own shots, at age 35, and is still the best and leading scorer.

Yeah, I always laugh when I read that only white guys can be "crafty" and "smart", while black guys only rely on "quickness" and "instinct" while on the court. You don't average 50% career shooting (even including sh!tty years as an old man) relying strictly on dunks and "instinct" alone. Even late 80s Mike had a great mid-range shot.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ikill
    Another good point. While most players make a play for the foul only, Jordan made plays for the And 1.

And was better moving without the ball.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    And was better moving without the ball.
    And was a better mid range jump shooter, and better catch and shoot player.

Who cares how good your shooting supposedly is if the shots don't go in?

Not only don't go in, but bounce hard off the rim, and are taken when teammates are not in position for an offensive position or to get back on defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative

What in the hell are you talking about? What does Race have to do with it?

Lebron lead the league in scoring before and it's not like he had a godly midrange game, I'm not really understanding that line of logic.

No one said that Jordan didn't have an amazing mid range game, I simply asked what makes his midrange game better than Dirk/Bird. Was it shot selection? Efficency from that range? The amount of double teams? What? Don't give me this "acting like white players are the only players that can be smart" bull shit. Answer the god damn question

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

He mainly shot mid-range jumpers in early 90s 91-93. It was because of his good shot selection and great movement off the ball and he is a good catch and shoot player. Plus he had lift in his jump shot.

It seemed like he was better than Bird because of his great efficiency on both the regular season and playoffs. At the same time, he wasn't really the better overall shooter because range. You could go into detail on why that is. There is no real proof to compare and contrast how many mid-range made/miss shots on stats yet. At least I don't think so. So, you would just have to watch the games.

It's a good and bad thing. While stats are faster, they don't tell the whole story. You don't know how many shots were close to the rim or jump shots. Watching the games are great to watch and to watch how fluent the offense were in early 90s and 80s in comparison to the current era. You can see the difference in defense, offense, and how it was officiated, but it's time consuming.

Either way, Jordan has a amazing mid-range shot. One of the best. I think Jordan is better than Bird at that, but if he was, it wasn't by that much in Bird's prime. Can't proof it though. You just have to watch them play and make the decision for yourself.

NBA rookie of the year

I think Jordan was every bit the midrange shooter Bird ever was by 1991 - certainly by 1992. Sports Illustrated agrees with me. In their Athlete of the Year issue in 1991 (an award which Jordan garnered), they said of Jordan that "he's the best shooter in the league; from deep Bird still has the edge, but from 21 feet and in, he is without peer." To act like Mj isn't on the short list of greatest midrange shooters/players ever (not the same thing, but he's on both lists) is absurd. One can make arguments for guys like Bird, Dirk etc. but it's a short list.

My top 5 best mid range shooter..

1. Kobe
    2. Bird
    3. Nowitzki
    4. West

gap

5. MJ 2nd 3peat (the time when MJ became a good mid range shooter while the above players were godly from day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143
    My top 5 best mid range shooter..

1. Kobe
    2. Bird
    3. Nowitzki
    4. West

gap

5. MJ 2nd 3peat (the time when MJ became a good mid range shooter while the above players were godly from day 1)
    You're telling me 18 year old Kobe who rode the bench his first season was a godly mid-range shooter from day one? How would you know what rookie Kobe was like? You weren't even born his rookie year but you speak with such authority on the topic

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    You're telling me 18 year old Kobe who rode the bench his first season was a godly mid-range shooter from day one? How would you know what rookie Kobe was like? You weren't even born his rookie year but you speak with such authority on the topic
    dude's an undercover lebronyte/jordan stan. No kobe stan is even that dumb.

stop hiding under that alt acct foo!