Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

I really don't understand the logic what so ever. So you think, "Oh he played in an era other than the current one, he must be better than everyone playing today."? There's no logic behind that at all. If you think players have gotten worse over time then you're sadly mistaken. That's completely backwards thinking. More of the aspects that make a player develop into what they become get BETTER over time and players learn BETTER ways to get better.

LET ME HIGHLIGHT THIS PART BEFORE SOMEONE SH1TS A COW. IM NOT SAYING ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ARE BETTER THAN OLDER PLAYERS OR OLDER PLAYERS ARE SCRUBS. IM SIMPLY SAYING YOUR NOSTALGIA AND HOMERISM OF ERAS MAKES NO SENSE.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

It depends on the player. Wilt Chamberlain would be a poor mans Deandre Jordan according to idiots on here.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Why do people always think if an older player played today they would be WAY better?

In 2062, all the kids on ISH (vBulletin Version 3.5.4), will be calling Lebron a scrub.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    In 2062, all the kids on ISH (vBulletin Version 3.5.4), will be calling Lebron a scrub.
    That's why you must join me on a mission to post on this board or whatever the largest basketball board is at the time when I'm 60+. They will be forced to listen to my stories about Kobe until they accept that he's the best

Yet another of these threads from you?

Your other thread was full of sweeping generalizations about players, eras, and other posters. You were intolerant of anyone's opinion other than your own. You lumped all people of certain ages together, knowing nothing about them. You attributed the traits of a single poster to all that you assume are in that same age group.

Then you wonder why people don't think that you'd be a fair, thoughtful and unbiased judge of players?

Take a break. Don't post for a while. Look up "irony".

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Yet another of these threads from you?

Your other thread was full of sweeping generalizations about players, eras, and other posters. You were intolerant of anyone's opinion other than your own. You lumped all people of certain ages together, knowing nothing about them. You attributed the traits of a single poster to all that you assume are in that same age group.

Then you wonder why people don't think that you'd be a fair, thoughtful and unbiased judge of players?

Take a break. Don't post for a while. Look up "irony".
    How about instead of a lecture you answer my question thanks.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So you think, "Oh he played in an era other than the current one, he must be better than everyone playing today."? There's no logic behind that at all.
    Which is why nobody said it.

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    I really don't understand the logic what so ever. So you think, "Oh he played in an era other than the current one, he must be better than everyone playing today."? There's no logic behind that at all. If you think players have gotten worse over time then you're sadly mistaken. That's completely backwards thinking. More of the aspects that make a player develop into what they become get BETTER over time and players learn BETTER ways to get better.

LET ME HIGHLIGHT THIS PART BEFORE SOMEONE SH1TS A COW. IM NOT SAYING ALL CURRENT PLAYERS ARE BETTER THAN OLDER PLAYERS OR OLDER PLAYERS ARE SCRUBS. IM SIMPLY SAYING YOUR NOSTALGIA AND HOMERISM OF ERAS MAKES NO SENSE.
    Nobody says what your asserting. I think what's happening here is your misunderstanding peoples observations and discussions about how certain aspects of the game that have changed over time could benefit certain players from certain eras.

For example: This is a not a strong era for centers. Centers from the late 60's/early 70's or early 90's (two strong era's for centers) would have a field day against the pool of competition today. Nobody is saying all players from then are better than all players from now - it is only 1 specific part of the game that is being pointed out. Right now is a strong era for point guards, notice how you don't see people here making threads about K.C. Jones from the 60's being potentially better than Kyrie Irving? There's a reason for that. Your just not seeing the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Nobody says what your asserting. I think what's happening here is your misunderstanding peoples observations and discussions about how certain aspects of the game that have changed over time could benefit certain players from certain eras.

For example: This is a not a strong era for centers. Centers from the late 60's/early 70's or early 90's (two strong era's for centers) would have a field day against the pool of competition today. Nobody is saying all players from then are better than all players from now - it is only 1 specific part of the game that is being pointed out. Right now is a strong era for point guards, notice how you don't see people here making threads about K.C. Jones from the 60's being potentially better than Kyrie Irving? There's a reason for that. Your just not seeing the whole picture.
    What I'm saying is people always say, "Man imagine is MJ played today he'd average 40 ppg" or "If Barkley played today he'd be MVP every year" stuff like that. It's extremely common on this forum.

Decent playground baller franchiez's Avatar

I think they would be worse.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    What I'm saying is people always say, "Man imagine is MJ played today he'd average 40 ppg" or "If Barkley played today he'd be MVP every year" stuff like that. It's extremely common on this forum.
    Phil Jackson and Larry Brown said that shit, not us

Quote Originally Posted by franchiez
    I think they would be worse.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I'ma say it.

People insinuate/state that players from past eras would be better today because they were better.

Yeah

Cuba

The great centers would be able to play in any era in my opinion, the skills that made Wilt/Kareem great would still allow them to get buckets today. I think wing play has advanced a lot though, can't really see a guy like Baylor putting up big numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    The great centers would be able to play in any era in my opinion, the skills that made Wilt/Kareem great would still allow them to get buckets today. I think wing play has advanced a lot though, can't really see a guy like Baylor putting up big numbers.
    Why not? What's so different about what he's doing vs what Lebron or Kobe does?

http://youtu.be/NseHzlD9rU0