Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Nah he's definitely an alpha. He and MJ clashed. Common misconception, two alpha players can't coexist and win. It happens on nearly EVERY TEAM. What other player would Pippen have deferred to. Anyway, the ball was in his hands a lot, too. It's not like he was a role player.

Over/under... depends on who you ask. I'd definitely want him on my all-time team... no matter who I already had.

-Smak
    Its funny. People act as if he was a bad offensive player. Theres about 450 players in the NBA. He was no worse than top 15 every year. Top 10 when Jordan left. I believe he was seventh in 94

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Who would you pick between Pippen and Mchale?
    That would probably depend on who my first option is.

In today's league, it probably favours Pippen than McHale, but McHale as a 2nd-3rd option would win a title.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    Nah he's definitely an alpha. He and MJ clashed. Common misconception, two alpha players can't coexist and win. It happens on nearly EVERY TEAM. What other player would Pippen have deferred to. Anyway, the ball was in his hands a lot, too. It's not like he was a role player.

Over/under... depends on who you ask. I'd definitely want him on my all-time team... no matter who I already had.

-Smak

Incorrect. True Alphas never defer, unless they are too young or too old. Example is Kobe/Shaq. It worked in the beginning because Kobe was still too young. We all know what happened by 2004 though.

Also look at Miami year 1. Wade and Lebron were 2 Alphas, and their games got in the way of each other. It wasn't until last year when Wade started to decline that he deferred to Lebron.

Samurai Swoosh

Ridiculously Overrated by: Smoke117, 97 bulls, Roundball_Rock, Fatal9, and a ton of Kobe stans w/ an agenda. Everywhere else beyond ISH, and those posters with an agenda, he's quite underrated.

NBA rookie of the year

Who would you pick between Pippen and Mchale?
    They're about equal in terms of impact. Different, but roughly equal. McHale brought insane scoring and efficiency in the post and good man defense and great team defense and shotblocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Ridiculously Overrated by: Smoke117, 97 bulls, Roundball_Rock, Fatal9, and a ton of Kobe stans w/ an agenda. Everywhere else beyond ISH, and those posters with an agenda, he's quite underrated.
    Thoughts ?:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=135476

^Similar posters you mentioned are in that very thread too. But there are some gems for quotes in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Highly overrated

Well he's better than Stockton.

Wades clearly a better scorer than Pippen. Thats as far as it goes. Defense, rebounding, teamwork, running an offense, passing, basically every other facet of basketball Pippen is better.

Overly simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I've heard "NBA experts" saying "some people don't remember, but Pippen was the 2nd best player in the league for a few years when they were playing together". They referring to Jordan. Which is false.

Hes overrated. Particularly by NBA experts. Some of them talk as if he was a better player than Ewing, Clyde, Isiah, Barkley, etc.
    Pippen was a great player, no doubt, but people remember him as far better than what he actually was due to his achievements in a team. Certain posters act as if he'd be a guaranteed lock for top 5 player in the league right now for most of his career, when in reality he'd be a fringe top 10-15 guy, like he was back in his day.

Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Wades a better shooter, free throw shooter, passer, blocker, post player, playmaker, slasher, more clutch, consistent and more efficient.

Its not particularly close. Wades better. Melo is better. Durant is better.

Wrong on those and idiot.

I disagree with Wade being a better playmaker, midrange, and clutch player. Wade has failed far more than he succeeded. And in situations where his teams shoukdve won. And you can exclude 06. I feel he was aided drastically by the Refs. So in your opinion, hiw is Wade more clutch?

This is almost all wrong. Wade was a very very good midrange player before Lebron showed up. And how he's not clutch or has failed more than succeeded is absolutely beyond me. That's because it's incorrect, so I can't grasp its accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Pippen is a 16 point per game scorer for his career. He is overrated.

Ignorant comment.

Magic wasnt that great at creating his own shot. Id say he got by.

Massively stupid comment.

Overrated by 97Bulls and most Kobe stans trying to sell MJ short

Underrated by most Jordan stans trying to prop MJ up

Rated more or less where he should be by most NBA fans

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Or do you feel he is rated where he should be? I have seen a lot of posters say he doesn't get his due for the Bulls' success. Even one (retard) going as far as saying he was better than Magic/Bird. And some hardcore Jordan worshipers say that Jordan made him the player he was. Which side you you lean on?
    Claerly OVERRATED.

Pippen wouldn't be Pippen if he didnt played alongside GOAT.

Pippen wouldn't be rated above 'Nique or Clyde if didnt play alongside GOAT.

Pippen's leadership status is also questioned many times like Kobe's leadership cuz of frequent disappearences & chocking in 4th quarter & also quitting on the team in the must win PO game in 1994 ECF against Knicks.

Pippen is a great player. But definitely wont be all-time great if Mike didnt carry his sorry si$$y mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    I don't know if he's either per se.

He has to be considered an all-time great considering he and Jordan split lead playmaking/defensive anchoring duties (Pip more so than MJ though; Jordan was more impactful as an overall individual talent, at least offensively), when these are duties almost exclusively reserved for points and bigs. How many guys arguably assumed both of those roles on championship-level teams? On the other hand, he's been overrated quite a bit due to agendas on this board (I'll leave it at that).

He's up there in the rankings and probably the best defender in league history that wasn't a big (in addition to his duties as a point forward for a good deal of his time in Chicago), but beyond that I'm not going to attempt to place him.

See, this is a good post.

I don't even want to enter this thread, but I clearly have nothing to do for another hour.

Pippen is just stupidly rated. That's it. Season stats show that he was able to score over 20 while alongside Michael. They show that he could score 21.8 and 22 without Michael, and lead a team to 55 wins, the minute they lose the greatest player of all-time.

Had this guy not played on a team with Michael Jordan, or without the Triangle, he would be the starting PG. Instead, he is the ultimate point forward. And because of their pace, the equal-opportunity style of offense, the lack of offensive players outside of him and Michael and because he wasn't technically the PG, he had low assists. But he was the point, in a real half-court system. Comparing to Anthony is stupidly stupid. Looking at this stats and concluding anything is stupidly stupid. Offensively, he was a great player. An elite player. He wasn't an elite scorer, but he was a legitimate first option scorer. He could score 20 while running the team, being the best ball-handler at his position (until Grant Hill showed up), by far the best passer at his position...a pure basketball player, with elite athleticism and incredible skill, while enough talent to actually dominate on the defensive side of the ball?

Do I think he's a better player than Dwyane Wade? I don't know. Pippen does more things than Wade, but Pippen is quite possibly the most all-around player in NBA history. So concluding that he is because he does more...that's stupid. After Jordan retired, he established himself on people's lists as more than a Robin. You're always gonna have a bunch of lite Skip Bayless's in the world, including fans who don't know how to have an opinion that comes from watching and not accumulating accomplishments and numbers.

But for the most part, people recognized him as what he was. He was a top 5 player. By then, Pat was on his way down. Would I take that Shaq over Pippen? No, but if you want to take those 3 centers and Karl Malone and Jordan, then that's fine. But you're not taking Stockton over him, you're not taking Payton over him. Ewing and Barkley, by 1994? Probably not. Grant Hill? Maybe on his way, but never passed him. But that's where he ranked.

A fringe 10-15 player in today's league? Sure there.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Yep.

3-time NBA All-Star

definitely not better than bosh. Thats how far lebron compared to jordan. Jordan impacts like lebron but most of his impact comes without diminishing the impact of his playmakers while lebrons does otherwise. Kobe is even better than lebron thats why its a joke to compare him to durant.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    definitely not better than bosh. Thats how far lebron compared to jordan. Jordan impacts like lebron but most of his impact comes without diminishing the impact of his playmakers while lebrons does otherwise. Kobe is even better than lebron thats why its a joke to compare him to durant.
    Knicksman continues to explore the boundaries of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Knicksman continues to explore the boundaries of stupidity.

See...I can love you too...I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Well he's better than Stockton.

Overly simplistic.

Idiot

Wrong on those and idiot.

This is almost all wrong. Wade was a very very good midrange player before Lebron showed up. And how he's not clutch or has failed more than succeeded is absolutely beyond me. That's because it's incorrect, so I can't grasp its accuracy.

Ignorant comment.

Massively stupid comment.
    I didnt say Wade is a bad midrange shooter. Id say neither is good enough to trump the other. I also didn't imply he wasnt clutch. But Ive seen nothing frim him that would trump Pippen. In fact, his teams have underachived.

I think you need to take time and read posts thoroughly. You twisted a lot of my points