Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: 7 Teams Passed On Drummond, Remember That When...

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    Just curious, do you always refer to athleticism and size as tools?
    I hate to use the word always. To be more precise they are gifts. Gifts that most don't have and will never have.

Darko Milicic

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    I hate to use the word always. To be more precise they are gifts. Gifts that most don't have and will never have.
    Yeah he certainly is an athletic freak. Another thing I wonder is: if you think so highly of Drummond then what do you think of Davis?

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Hibbert gets alot of praise, only thing that seperated Hibbert from Drummond is hype. I expect Drummond to have similar success

yes. that is what makes him naturally talented. Remember that he is only 18 years old!! Guy is a blank slate and has all the tools to be something special. If you are good organization you can mold him into an all star because he has so many tools that other players don't have.

Put him on LA and hire Kareem and I'm confident that he becomes an all star. Put him with Coach Pop and I'm confident he becomes an all star. Guy has everything.
    Yeah, same thing with Derrick Favors when he came in, he was really raw & could only finish around the basket. Now look at him in only his second year, averaged a double double in the playoffs. Drummond is going to be the same case as Favors.

I honestly felt bad for Drummond....when he finally got picked, it was quite the sigh of relief....Drummond WILL be one of the better players in this draft by the end of the season....

NBA Superstar

-Darko didn't have Drummond's tools. Athletically, he is something special. I watched a lot of his games and the tools are there. He just has to spend more time playing the game.
    -You weren't passing up on 5 star prospects for Drummond like Darko. For example Toronto took Terrance Ross, whose ceiling is a bad starter, over Drummond.
    Regarding the first point, their skills and makeup weren't identical, but Darko at the time definitely had a lot of tools in terms of what he was capable of doingon the basketball court (I'd say arguably more than Drummond). Young Milicic was relatively quick (though Drummond seems quicker), he could shoot (not a sharpshooter, but he could knock down jumpers and NBA triples without looking hapless), and he had a post game that seemed well on its way to blossoming into something special.

To this day, I still cannot lie. When I was up at the University of Detroit watching the Pistons open practice in '03, that whole place was giddy with Darko. He looked sharp, the perfect complement to Ben Wallace for years to come. This gent was taking off one step inside the free throw line and dunking with relative ease during 3-on-2, 2-on-1 drills. I think it can be argued Larry Brown indirectly destroyed Darko's will to live, but I definitely think Milicic had soemthing there at the start.

Regarding your second statement, I agree. There's not as much pressure resting on Detroit for the Drummond pick. He more or less fell into their laps and there wasn't a highly touted alternative that was immediately swooped up afterward. I'd say relatively low risk, possibly high reward.

Not airballing my layups anymore handbanana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Darko Milicic
    yeah, darko had game like this (37 points, 9 reb, 9 ast, 17/19 fg) when he was 17 years old, playing against grown men in european international competition.

drummond - meh

Drummond sucks balls, he would have slipped further if Detroit didn't pick him.

He's just got no idea what to do on a basketball court. He has the basketball IQ of Kwame and the work ethic of Eddy Curry.

Darko has a lot of skill, but is mentally weak.

next twin towers

I'm never too high on athletic players who look very raw in college. College competition is extremely weak for the most part. Especially at center, you don't have to be all that to look like a terrific player.

Yet Drummond didn't do much of anything really. When you are seven feet tall and 270 pounds and hyper athletic you need to be able to do more against college competition, even as a raw 18 year old.

NBA Superstar

At least this is semi-encouraging:
    Dumars said he vowed after the Darko Milicic debacle in 2003 that he would never again settled for limited information -- particularly when evaluating 18-year-olds. Whereas he only had two sources of information regarding Milicic, Dumars said he had close to a dozen different background sources for Drummond.

They even talked with his sixth-grade teacher.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012062...fiasco-Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I'm never too high on athletic players who look very raw in college. College competition is extremely weak for the most part. Especially at center, you don't have to be all that to look like a terrific player.

Yet Drummond didn't do much of anything really. When you are seven feet tall and 270 pounds and hyper athletic you need to be able to do more against college competition, even as a raw 18 year old.
    the team was broken. he was literally no coached up at all due to all the turmoil that wen on during the season. With that said, he had moments in games where he did things that showcased his otherworldly gifts.

Even if all you can get him to do with to play hard on defense, block shots, catch alley opps ---> he is still worth taking earlier than 9.

lets also not forget that this guy is 280 pounds at age 18 and is only going to get bigger and stronger. I'm defenses are gonna love facing this 6"11 300 pound super quick man child on defense in a few years. If D'Andre Jordon, who is borderline retarded bbiq wise, can become a difference maker on defense than I have know issue saying Drummond will do that same.
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 06-29-2012 at 02:20 PM.

If he plays disciplined defense, learns how to defensive rebound, and can hit 60% of his free throws, he'll be an amazing partner for Greg Monroe.

We already know he can catch the ball and sky over everyone.

i'm happy we got andre, but worried that greg will have to play the 4, he's gonna be even more exposed defensively

overall im glad