Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Winning>Stats

Default Re: Some of the All-Time greats averages in 100 poss. per game and 40 mpg.

Pauk in "here's some stats that make LEBron look good" shocker.

Default Re: Some of the All-Time greats averages in 100 poss. per game and 40 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Why per 100? Why not 120 or 130? Per 100 obviously will favor modern day basketball players' numbers.
    I just picked 100 because i am more used to seeing that many possessions i guess... Wouldnt matter how many possessions i would choose... It doesnt favor anybody because a possession is a possession and all are calculated after the same possessions, no matter how little or how many possessions i would have used here you will get the same result but in different numbers.... I mean the player that averaged best numbers per. possession / minute will average the best numbers per. possession / minute no matter how many possessions/minutes we are going after..........
    Last edited by pauk; 03-31-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Would Shaq be able to run up and down the court for 48 minutes and 140 possessions an entire season

Most people are not using context. Some just think that their agenda has been validated.

Kblaze is right, but it doesn't change that I found this very interesting. Of course, these are all stats and context needs to be applied, but it's still cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33
    Pauk in "here's some stats that make LEBron look good" shocker.
    Unfortunately it does make many other players look good and/or better.... but only Lebron bothers you.... cant help that... do you want me to remove him? Will it make you feel better?

Local High School Star

And why is there no Duncan on this list?

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Show the hard evidence for possessions.

Since steals & turnovers weren't recorded, you really do have to show hard evidence.

Explain why you selected 100 and 40 mpg (i.e., this idea is from the guys at basketball reference from ca. 10 year ago and was used by several people as a way to belittle Chamberlain's feats in favor of Jordan.... Nobody could possibly play 48mpg, therefore Chamberlain will have to get his numbers lowered )

It's a pretty plaything but how does this show the stamina required to keep the same level of activity for 48 minutes that a guy has for 35 or 40?

So basically LeBron, Jordan, and Shaq are the three best peak players ever according to these numbers? Yeah that's a real shock lol.

I'd like to see LeBron, Jordan, and Shaq's averages based on the same amount of possessions of Wilt and Oscar. I'd venture to guess roughly LeBron would be somewhere around 48/13/13, Jordan would be 53/10/9, and Shaq would be 48/30.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    where did op get numbers for pace for wilt and oscars teams?
    For 1960s i have been reading/finding different results, anything from specific teams averaging 126 to 145 (a book i have here at home, saying it was 145 poss. p/g in 1967) 130 to 156 and to a whooping 165 poss. per game and the best teams (Russell/Wilt/Oscar teams) averaged the most.... not being sure what to go with i went with something in the in the middle, 150.... its an approximate, but to be super accurate lets just say Wilt/Oscar/Russell played in a era with many more possessions a game....
    Last edited by pauk; 03-31-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    I just picked 100 because i am more used to seeing that many possessions i guess... Wouldnt matter how many possessions i would choose... It doesnt favor anybody because a possession is a possession and all are calculated after the same possessions, no matter how little or how many possessions i would have used here you will get the same result but in different numbers.... I mean the player that averaged best numbers per. possession / minute will average the best numbers per. possession / minute no matter how many possessions/minutes we are going after..........
    I may be crazy, but wouldn't it require you to define a possession first? Your statement would be true once a possession is defined.

Edit: In case that is vague, what I mean is you'd have to define per possession production for a player.

-Smak

Please show the exact method you're using to estimate the pace for those earlier teams.

Also, for the first few players I checked, you're numbers are wrong. You've inflated the stats a bit for certain players and deflated them a bit for others, so please show the exact calculation for each player.

Banned

numbers prove Kobe is GOAT.

5-time NBA All-Star

Wow, did Wilt and them have close to 200 possessions in a game??? His numbers were reduced nearly in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Wow, did Wilt and them have close to 200 possessions in a game??? His numbers were reduced nearly in half.
    The OP didn't do a very good job of estimating pace. Not only that, but some of the numbers for certain players for which he didn't need to estimate pace are either inflated or deflated.

1. Not buying the 150 possessions thing about the 60's, sorry. Especially 1966. Generally, look at the differences in the numbers of shots taken, FT's taken, etc. Compare 1966 to 1972. How the heck did you get to a difference of 30 possessions?

2. If it was anywhere near accurate to take a league with supposedly 150 possessions and project stats in a league of 100 or vice-versa without accounting for severe changes in efficiency (and therefore, other stats linked with it, like rebounds and assists), modern teams would be foolish NOT to try and get 150 possessions themselves nowadays.

3. Linked with #2. Why don't you also post the adjusted numbers for their whole teams, so that we really see who's more impactful statistically for his team? Also, how about posting their FGAs?

4. Linked with #3. Since you are a PER fan, if Wilt's stats are "mortal", how come he still has the most impressive individual season PERs of all time, which comes AFTER accounting for possessions? Why does Wilt's PER blow Magic's out of the water if Magic supposedly almost matches Wilt's scoring (LOL!), probably exceeds his efficiency (due to FT's) and Magic's assists advantage is wider than Wilt's rebounding advantage? Something doesn't add up here...

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Why per 100? Why not 120 or 130? Per 100 obviously will favor modern day basketball players' numbers.
    lolwut