Arrow NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

In that March 31 game, as Jordan pulled up for his patented fallaway -- one of the most feared weapons in basketball -- Lewis waited patiently for MJ to launch himself, then stretched his arms and timed it so he deflected the ball just as Jordan released.

The block surprised Jordan, whose otherworldly elevation usually negated any chance of a rejected shot.

Most players weren't athletic enough to literally "hang" with Jordan. Lewis was one of the exceptions.

"He was a tough matchup," Jordan said. "He had those long arms that really bothered me.

"I was trying to be aggressive with him. I was trying to take advantage of his passive demeanor, but he didn't back down. He never relinquished his own aggressiveness.

"He shocked me a little bit."

MJ dismissed Reggie's initial block as an anomaly. When it happened again, this time on a pull-up jumper, Jordan became irked.
    The next time, he became concerned. And by the fourth time, on a lefty drive to the hoop, Jordan was irritated -- and somewhat spooked.

Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

There's a video on Youtube about those blocks. Reggie was pretty good, had length and great timing but MJ figured him out eventually and proceeded to toy with him from thereon.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by AirBonner
    In that March 31 game, as Jordan pulled up for his patented fallaway -- one of the most feared weapons in basketball -- Lewis waited patiently for MJ to launch himself, then stretched his arms and timed it so he deflected the ball just as Jordan released.

The block surprised Jordan, whose otherworldly elevation usually negated any chance of a rejected shot.

Most players weren't athletic enough to literally "hang" with Jordan. Lewis was one of the exceptions.

"He was a tough matchup," Jordan said. "He had those long arms that really bothered me.

"I was trying to be aggressive with him. I was trying to take advantage of his passive demeanor, but he didn't back down. He never relinquished his own aggressiveness.

"He shocked me a little bit."

MJ dismissed Reggie's initial block as an anomaly. When it happened again, this time on a pull-up jumper, Jordan became irked.
    The next time, he became concerned. And by the fourth time, on a lefty drive to the hoop, Jordan was irritated -- and somewhat spooked.
    Didn't MJ averge like 33 ppg on 49% on him from 88-93?

Yup, then Jordan had him "taken care of"

R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP
    Yup, then Jordan had him "taken care of"

R.I.P

Rip

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Didn't MJ averge like 33 ppg on 49% on him from 88-93?
    35-36 ppg/53% FG, actually

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    35-36 ppg/53% FG, actually

So much for OP's post.

Very similar to AK47 blocking my hero Kobe 4 times in one quarter. I wonder what Kobe's thoughts are on it, or if he even remembers it. His brain might have blocked out the moment for his sanity's sake.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
    Very similar to AK47 blocking my hero Kobe 4 times in one quarter. I wonder what Kobe's thoughts are on it, or if he even remembers it. His brain might have blocked out the moment for his sanity's sake.
    I remember it.

Decent playground baller

That is a reason why the Celtics win the 91 title if Bird doesn't throw out his back when they started 29-5.