Karl Malone
    Kareem
    Duncan
    Garnett
    Stockton
    Kidd
    Chief

Am I missing any other candidates?

Any potential candidates in the league you see joining this group?
    Last edited by Fire Colangelo; 12-04-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Default Re: GOAT longetivity

The Chief Robert Parish --> 21 seasons

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuebecBaller
    True.

Kareem
    Malone
    Duncan
    Stockton
    Parish

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Do they players actually have to be star level late into their careers for this list or is it solely based on how much of their prime ability they were able to retain late into their careers?

If it's the latter Kevin Willis should be on there. Dude was 40 with the body of a 25 year old(yes, homo). And he played for your team!

Also, Dennis Rodman. He was still athletic with an insane motor at 40(?) averaging like 15 boards for the Mavs.

NBA Superstar

Kobe Bryant
    Tim Duncan
    Karl Malone
    KAJ

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Kobe
    Kareem

The rest.

Quote Originally Posted by QuebecBaller
    But he wasn't good at the end. He played a long time, but I dunno if he belongs in the convo with those other guys.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Kareem
    Malone
    Duncan
    Stockton
    Parish
    Is that in order?

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    Do they players actually have to be star level late into their careers for this list or is it solely based on how much of their prime ability they were able to retain late into their careers?

If it's the latter Kevin Willis should be on there. Dude was 40 with the body of a 25 year old(yes, homo). And he played for your team!

Also, Dennis Rodman. He was still athletic with an insane motor at 40(?) averaging like 15 boards for the Mavs.
    I was thinking more of star players when I made the thread, but I agree, Kevin Willis should be on there. I didn't think he was 36 years old when he was averaging 12/8 for us

Rodman only played a couple games that year if I could remember, and he played like 13-15 seasons in total?

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal
    Kobe Bryant
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Karl Malone
    Kevin Garnett
    Kidd
    Duncan at 21: 21/12/3/1/3

Garnett at 21: 19/10/4/2/2

Duncan at 33: 18/10/3/1/2

Garnett at 33: 14/7/3/1/1

Duncan at 36: 18/10/3/1/3

Garnett at 36: 15/8/2/1/1

Duncan at 38: 14/11/3/1/2

Garnett at 38: 7/9/2/1

Garnett from 33-37 in the Playoffs: 15/9/2/1

Duncan from 33-37 in the Playoffs: 17/10/2/2

Duncan came into the league and was better than Garnett. He was better every season until at least 02. And he's been much better the past few seasons too.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

At 40 years old in 27m/pg Stockton averaged 10.8pts and 7.7 assists. He shot 48/36/82 and 1.7 steals. I would say that's pretty efficient for a 40 year old. He may not be the best of the lot but he's pretty good. He was too old to play good man D but he still was a good team defender. From age 35-40 his minutes and production remained the same essentially. That's pretty good.

Duncan at 21: 21/12/3/1/3

Garnett at 21: 19/10/4/2/2

Duncan at 33: 18/10/3/1/2

Garnett at 33: 14/7/3/1/1

Duncan at 36: 18/10/3/1/3

Garnett at 36: 15/8/2/1/1

Duncan at 38: 14/11/3/1/2

Garnett at 38: 7/9/2/1

Garnett from 33-37 in the Playoffs: 15/9/2/1

Duncan from 33-37 in the Playoffs: 17/10/2/2

Duncan came into the league and was better than Garnett. He was better every season until at least 02. And he's been much better the past few seasons too.

If you go by seasons played, it becomes much closer imo.

For example, in their 14th season:

Duncan: 13/9/3
    KG: 18/10/3

In their 18th season:

Duncan: 14/10/3
    KG: 15/8/2

Duncan's yet to play a 19th season yet, so idk how his stats will be next year. But for now, they're prettttty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    If you go by seasons played, it becomes much closer imo.

For example, in their 14th season:

Duncan: 13/9/3
    KG: 18/10/3

In their 18th season:

Duncan: 14/10/3
    KG: 15/8/2

Duncan's yet to play a 19th season yet, so idk how his stats will be next year. But for now, they're prettttty close.
    But that's because he entered the league 3 seasons after Garnett did. Of course 18th year Duncan is close with 18th year KG: he was 3 years younger than Tim.

The only real talking point I see Garnett fans use with Tim is that during their best 4 or 5 years (basically around 02-07 for each), Garnett was better player (extremely close, I still go with Tim because of his superior offensive game and ability to perform better come Playoff time). 98-01 Tim was a lot more effective than Garnett was. 08 Garnett was much more effective than Tim. 09-12 is Tim but it's close. 13-current is Tim by a country mile. #

EDIT: though I do get your point. But even if you do it like that, Tim still probably comes out on top. Immortal just has phony agendas.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 12-04-2014 at 09:22 PM.

But that's because he entered the league 3 seasons after Garnett did. Of course 18th year Duncan is close with 18th year KG: he was 3 years younger than Tim.

The only real talking point I see Garnett fans use with Tim is that during their best 4 or 5 years (basically around 02-07 for each), Garnett was better player (extremely close, I still go with Tim because of his superior offensive game and ability to perform better come Playoff time). 98-01 Tim was a lot more effective than Garnett was. 08 Garnett was much more effective than Tim. 09-12 is Tim but it's close. 13-current is Tim by a country mile. #

EDIT: though I do get your point. But even if you do it like that, Tim still probably comes out on top. Immortal just has phony agendas.
    No doubt, I agree Duncan > KG, not trying to argue against that.

I'm just saying age isn't really fair either, since at the same age KG has played around 2 seasons more than TD, and has a lot more milage. Those two season might not matter too much in the beginning of their careers, but they matter a lot at the tailed of their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    No doubt, I agree Duncan > KG, not trying to argue against that.

I'm just saying age isn't really fair either, since at the same age KG has played around 2 seasons more than TD, and has a lot more milage. Those two season might not matter too much in the beginning of their careers, but they matter a lot at the tailed of their careers.
    How many more minutes has Garnett played? As I remember it was around 1500. Tim did played 4 years in college though, and the Playoff games take a lot more out of you (I think he has twice as many as KG).

No doubt KG has more mileage. I just don't think his body held up well enough. He was breaking down in 2009, tbh. Tim was too at one point (2010 was a low point in terms of physical shape), but he did some Nash type ish where he got and stayed in phenomenal shape.

It is kinda sad seeing Garnett lately. He didn't play last night so we're never gonna see him and Tim suit up against each other again. I really hope the Nets make the Playoffs so he can at least go out on a positive note.