Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Stockton, B Hansen, P Mannion, R Kelley 1985 jacuzzi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0yo...ayer_embedded#!

Short funny news clip from the past.
    Last edited by Chalkmaze; 05-28-2012 at 12:28 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Stockton, B Hansen, P Manning, R Kelley 1985 jacuzzi

Payton already knows who his Hall of Famer presenters will be whenever he might be enshrined. [URL="http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/11/14/12/Is-Gary-Payton-a-first-ballott-Hall-of-F/landing_heat.html?blockID=819807&feedID=10140"]

New Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd (that is still really weird to type) swung by the Dan Patrick Show on Friday to talk about how he convinced Billy King this was a good hire. Other topics of interest came up as well, including how Jidd thinks John Stockton is the greatest point guard ever. I think Stockton gets overlooked in that conversation, but I still say Magic personally.

NBCSports.com

[URL="http://www.danpatrick.com/2013/06/14/jason-kidd-explains-how-he-got-nets-job-shares-his-all-time-team/"]Dan asked if he would ever suit up in practice.

[QUOTE]During his career

Did John Stockton ever talk trash back to you? Gary Payton: "Never. That is reason I really respected him because you never could get in his head. He's the hardest person I ever had to guard. I tried to talk to him, try to do something and he'd just look at me, set a pick and cause me [to get mad and] get a tech. And then all of the sudden it was over. There was much respect to him doing that to me. It taught me a lot."

Yahoo! Sports

You say Stockton was the hardest to guard, but what about guarding Michael Jordan? Gary Payton: "Those battles were a little easier. I would have Jordan get mad at me and go back at me. He knew he was really talented and could do whatever he wanted to. But [Stockton] was more of a challenge to me than guarding someone that would talk back to me. When you talk back to me and say something to me it made my game go to another level. John was one who wouldn't say nothing and you couldn't figure him out. He'd keep going in the pick and rolls and he and Karl Malone would score a big bucket. At times I would guard Jordan and get him mad and into other things."

Yahoo! Sports

Payton feels he was better than Stockton, but he concedes that the former Utah Jazz guard had a remarkable basketball IQ.

"I really think I was better as an athlete and in everything all-around," Payton said. "But he was just a smarter basketball player than us. He just got it done. I do think I was a better basketball player. I can do more things skills-wise. He just showed he knew how to play the game and that was the biggest difference."

[QUOTE]It took a few decades, but John Stockton finally granted an interview on the nationally syndicated "Jim Rome Show" Tuesday afternoon.

Of course the former Jazz point guard is promoting his recently published autobiography, "Assisted," and he talked with Rome for 15 minutes on a number of subjects, including being drafted by Utah, his friendship with Karl Malone and other teammates, and not winning a championship ring.

Stockton said he was just happy to be drafted by anyone, but that it wasn

John Stockton and his wife Nada have one of the most successful marriages anywhere, despite his brand of wooing, which began with a two-for-one coupon to a local restaurant. ESPN.com
    I knew he was cheap but come on John! This is after he had an NBA contract I believe not a poor college student.

[QUOTE]as they were negotiating what would be Stockton

[QUOTE]Reality bites

SI.com: What's a day in the life of John Stockton these days? Stockton: Well, it's kind of a mess of activities. There is not the same structure -- I don't have practice at 10, games at 7; I get to pick and choose my spots. But it's very busy. I'm in a number of businesses. I'm in a couple of construction projects. I'm doing a lot of coaching, some high school, some younger. When I first retired, I was an assistant on seven or eight teams at once. SI.com

SI.com: Will we ever see you back in the NBA? Stockton: I've never ruled it out. I have not sought it out either. It's just not time for me. I don't know that I'm an office guy in any way shape or form. If I were to come back, it would be on the coaching side. SI.com

SI.com: You still play pickup games? Stockton: Yep. Once a week. SI.com

SI.com: Did you like playing for Jerry Sloan? Stockton: Loved it. It was an absolute honor. Frank Layden was the perfect guy for me to start with, but Jerry was the perfect guy for all of us to expand. Frank turned the Jazz from a perennially losing team to a team that started to win. Jerry took the winning team he set up and made us believe we could be champions. He was a no-excuse guy. He was demanding but not unreasonable. I can't give him enough compliments. He took the Jazz to a whole new level and put us on the brink of a couple championships. It would have been difficult without him. SI.com
    Would have been fine without him John. Way too modest!

SI.com: What's one thing in the book about Karl Malone that we don't know. Stockton: He was incredibly generous, both with his time and his good fortune. He sees people's needs and helps them. He has done it time and time again. Karl was approached at an airport baggage claim once by some lady who mistook him for a skycap. She said, "Excuse me, can you help me with my bag." And the whole team was standing around watching. And he says, "Why, sure," picks up her bags and walks them out to a car that was full of people who knew exactly who he was. He never broke character. He just put the bags in the car. She offered him a tip and he said, "This one is on me." SI.com

Editor's note: This is the second of three excerpts from the new autobiography titled "Assisted: An Autobiography" by John Stockton with Kerry L. Pickett.

When I arrived in Salt Lake City for my rookie season, I was immediately whisked away to have a physical examination performed by the Jazz medical team.

Mostly this was standard operating procedure

[QUOTE]Maybe one of my most recurring thoughts is how thankful I am to that group that came before me with Rickey and Thurl (Bailey) and Adrian (Dantley) and John Drew, all these guys that changed the culture of the Utah Jazz from, I don

"They always laugh when I tell them about the guys I