tik tok

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Default Re: Andrew Wiggins' school commitment

John Wall didn't commit until May 19th

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    John Wall didn't commit until May 19th
    is there a deadline? i tried googling it but couldnt find the right words to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    is there a deadline? i tried googling it but couldnt find the right words to use.
    There's a deadline to sign a LOI, but you don't have to sign an LOI.

Theoretically he doesn't have to commit or show up anywhere until the start of the fall semester, and as long as there's a scholarship available he can slide right in.

NBA Superstar

I used to think it was FSU (and still feel it a bit) with XRM going and the family legacy, but now I see the lure of powder blue to be very strong. UNC has great history, and contend every year, and that is tough to beat.

I think Kentucky is too stacked already and he runs the risk of playing a lesser role (he needs to use this year IMO to practice dominating at a higher level, being a 9.5 with a bunch of 9s and 8.5s won't allow him to do that, the basketball Gods would have it so everyone sacrifices).

As for the late decision, lets not forget he is supposed to be class of 2014 so he is doing this all a bit rushed.

Either way, I now have FSU tied with UNC as the favorite (and for those who say FSU is not a decent team next year, do you watch college ball? it doesn't take much to be a good team these days and a blue chipper along with the best prospect we've seen in a while is more than enough to bring them back), but I think UNC has a real chance.
    Also, how the tournament goes is really irrelevant, Kevin Durant was on a decent Texas team and they didn't do squat. Didn't hurt him one iota.

The goal for him this year is to go somewhere and be the man, get as many touches as possible at this higher level (though is it really that much higher than some of the better AAU battles?) and work your butt off in practice and during your free time. I like the Roy Williams angle in this regard, I think he understands what will be expected (in terms of building the foundation for super-stardom) and also knows that Andrew's legacy has the potential to enhance his. MJ's love and respect for Dean Smith did wonders for recruiting and the coach's reputation and legacy.

He responded to someone from ESPN, or at least someone with ESPN in their twitter ID.

That's what I thought, anyway.
    That's fair and what I assume Wiggins thought (the ESPN stuff).

FWIW, the Jenkins ESPN guy deleted his account. lol...
    https://twitter.com/KJenkins_ESPN

imo, he's still waiting on Bullock and McAdoo to officially declare or come back. It's the only thing that makes sense to me, as the other schools already have their rosters set (except Noel, but he's leaving right?) and he's made the visits with a sufficient enough time to draw a decision. Of course I might just be looking at this through my Carolina blue glasses. I'd love a UK perspective on this. As well as the other two schools.

For a guy who seemingly wants the process to be over with, he's taking a good while to decide. I'm trying to think of answers as to why. It's not like he's drawing a huge amount of attention to himself (ie building a brand), other than the obsessive fans following his every move. And that's not his doing.
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 04-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    That's fair and what I assume Wiggins thought (the ESPN stuff).

FWIW, the Jenkins ESPN guy deleted his account. lol...

imo, he's still waiting on Bullock and McAdoo to officially declare or come back. It's the only thing that makes sense to me, as the other schools already have their rosters set (except Noel, but he's leaving right?) and he's made the visits with a sufficient enough time to draw a decision. Of course I might just be looking at this through my Carolina blue glasses. I'd love a UK perspective on this. As well as the other two schools.

For a guy who seemingly wants the process to be over with, he's taking a good while to decide. I'm trying to think of answers as to why. It's not like he's drawing a huge amount of attention to himself (ie building a brand), other than the obsessive fans following his every move. And that's not his doing.

I don't know what he's going to do, I gave up a long time ago trying to infer this or that from little things recruits do or say.

He probably enjoyed being the only uncommitted guy at the all star games, it's certainly possible he genuinely hasn't made a decision yet. I kind of just trust Cal, he usually gets what he wants.

I'd think it's UK or UNC though, I'd be surprised if he went anywhere else.

I kind of just trust Cal, he usually gets what he wants.

says the fan of the team on probation

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kNicKz
    who gives a shit? besides absolute morons that think the college basketball system is anything but a shining example of de facto slave labor. and spare me that "they get a free education" shit. no they don't. there's about 5 schools in the country that give a shit about educating their basketball players. every other program pushes kids into bullshit majors that exist specifically for athletics and gives them "tutors" that do all the work for them. if they get an education in their time there it's in spite of the basketball program.

the only problem I have with Cal is that not every other coach is on a level playing field with him. but that's not on him, it's on every other administration and fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    the only problem I have with Cal is that not every other coach is on a level playing field with him. but that's not on him, it's on every other administration and fanbase.
    what does that mean?

what does that mean?
    that there's way too many schools and fanbases that buy into the bullshit notion that the vast majority of these kids are in school to do anything but play basketball and get laid. Cal and UK know that and we see the results.

The only thing Cal does different is that he doesn't hold players back when it's time to decide on the NBA, and he plays a system that is attractive to recruits.

if you're implying there's anything else going on at Kentucky that's not going on at other schools, then I have to take issue with that

The only thing Cal does different is that he doesn't hold players back when it's time to decide on the NBA, and he plays a system that is attractive to recruits.

if you're implying there's anything else going on at Kentucky that's not going on at other schools, then I have to take issue with that
    I'm not implying anything, I don't think Cal "cheats" more than any number of other programs. But if you think he's pulling in 6 top 30 kids or whatever he has this year specifically because he's not going to try and stop them from going pro you're naive. if you think Cal's the bullshit NCAA definition of "clean" you need to take the blue glasses off.

I dont pay much attetion to recruiting, but is there any timetable for when wiggins will decide? i know drummond committed really late last season, could wiggins wait that long?

what is a reasonable time to expect him to commit by?