Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Knicks trying to acquire OJ Mayo to send to Denver in Melo Trade..

Quote Originally Posted by New York Knicks
    Donnie can easily just pick up teams from the D-League to fill the missing spots. And D'Antoni likes to run a short rotation anyway.
    Which tires them out and leads to them losing to teams like Cleveland. He plays short rotations because the players on the bench are garbage.

Felton
    Walker
    Melo
    Amare
    Turiaf

Williams
    Mozgov

And then try to make a move for a backup PG or sign somebody like Rafer Alston or somebody to play 10 minutes a game. He plays starters heavy minutes anyway.
    Rafer Alston? Dear god. Do you even want the Knicks to be good?

I'd take Gallo over Mayo in a heart beat. Mayo was a talented player who was good in college when he always got the ball, but let's remember the type of player he is: a short, averagely-athletic tweener guard who's had plenty of chances to prove himself but is now a marginally contributory bench player. Not saying he isn't good, but JJ Reddick is better right now. Gallo's been frustratingly inconsistent, but I think there are fixable reasons for that. He's certainly demonstrated the ability to be a legit player. He's competitive, and he's shown he can be clutch. Plus, he's 6'10" and can shoot, pass and get to the rim off the dribble.

I don't know why you don't like Wilson Chandler though. He's been ballin' this year. He's got his issues, but there's a reasons teams are interested in him.
    Last edited by Scoooter; 01-13-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    I'm beginning to think that you're truly a closet Celtics fan. Felton and Amar'e with nobody else good? Fields is one of the most well rounded rookies to play in a while (doesn't do anything GREAT, but does everything good). Chandler has been a pretty good rebounder, and his shooting has improved a lot this year. He has been very consistent. Gallo is one of the best shooters in the game, and he is getting better and better at driving and finishing. Shawne Williams is a solid shooter, Walker is not consistent, but does well from time to time. There is enough talent on this team right now to get out of the first round of the playoffs (I think they can beat the Bulls or Hawks in a 7 game series).
    Fields isn't a go-to player. He does a lot of things well, but he can't generate offense out of nothing. Felton and Amare can in certain situations. Chandler most definitely can't. He'll hit that open jumper and he has that little one dribble, jumper. But he lacks NBA-level ballhandling ability for his position. Gallinari is absurdly inconsistent and disappears for long stretches. His strength is supposed to be shooting but it takes him several shots to get a good feel. Way too inefficient. Melo can create offense from all over the court in any situation. He's the most complete scorer in the NBA. Every team needs a guy like that. When plays break down, you need that guy on the wing that'll go to work and save that possession. The Lakers have Kobe. Miami has their Big 3. Boston has Pierce. The Spurs have Ginobili. Dallas has Dirk. Every legitimate contender has one.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Chris_Broussard Knicks have reached out to Memphis about sending OJ Mayo to DEN in 3-team deal that would send Carmelo Anthony to New York, sources say.

That's all it says. It's funny, i let myself get talked into the fact Melo would sign off in Jersey (and i think he would) and yet it's really circling around again this may not be the case....
    Things got ever more complicated.
    I hope that means that trade with NJ collapsed.

I would give them Chandler/Gallinari + Curry + anyone else + pick from the bench.
    But giving Chandler,Gallo and Fields +someone else(I think someone mentioned it) is insane.
    We want Melo but we won't give up the whole team just to get him.

Trade Gallo/Chandler for Mayo and send them to Denver along with Curry + pick + someone from the bench (if it's needed to)
    Last edited by Clutch; 01-13-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
    Obviously, but Nj's offers don't mean anything if Melo doesn't want re-sign there, which he won't...
    We'll see about that.

1. Fields isn't a go-to player. He does a lot of things well, but he can't generate offense out of nothing.

2. Felton and Amare can in certain situations.

3. Chandler most definitely can't. He'll hit that open jumper and he has that little one dribble, jumper. But he lacks NBA-level ballhandling ability for his position.

4. Gallinari is absurdly inconsistent and disappears for long stretches. His strength is supposed to be shooting but it takes him several shots to get a good feel. Way too inefficient.

5. Melo can create offense from all over the court in any situation. He's the most complete scorer in the NBA. Every team needs a guy like that. When plays break down, you need that guy on the wing that'll go to work and save that possession. The Lakers have Kobe. Miami has their Big 3. Boston has Pierce. The Spurs have Ginobili. Dallas has Dirk. Every legitimate contender has one.
    1. Since when does every player on the floor have to be a go-to player. Man, this is getting to be hilarious.

2. Yea, and those certain situations are when they are on the floor. They are both proving to be able to make their own offense, with or without the ball.

3. He may not be the best ball handler, but 18 points a game is a very good asset whether it looks like Megan Fox or Rosie O'donell.

4. He may be inconsistent, but when he is on then you can pretty much chalk up a win for the team he is playing for. He is an instant crowd favorite for any team, and that gives any team a boost.

5. Melo is one of the best complete scorers in the NBA, but what you're saying the Knicks must give up to get him would force him to be tired out every game, taking him out of the game when the Knicks would need him most.

NBA rookie of the year

Please don't make me think about Rosie O'Donnell in shorts.

1. Since when does every player on the floor have to be a go-to player. Man, this is getting to be hilarious.

2. Yea, and those certain situations are when they are on the floor. They are both proving to be able to make their own offense, with or without the ball.

3. He may not be the best ball handler, but 18 points a game is a very good asset whether it looks like Megan Fox or Rosie O'donell.

4. He may be inconsistent, but when he is on then you can pretty much chalk up a win for the team he is playing for. He is an instant crowd favorite for any team, and that gives any team a boost.

5. Melo is one of the best complete scorers in the NBA, but what you're saying the Knicks must give up to get him would force him to be tired out every game, taking him out of the game when the Knicks would need him most.

i didnt want to trade gallo because dude has franchise player potential. but shawn williams has played so well i think gallo for melo would make us better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Which tires them out and leads to them losing to teams like Cleveland. He plays short rotations because the players on the bench are garbage.
    He played short rotations in Phoenix too.

Rafer Alston? Dear god. Do you even want the Knicks to be good?
    He can't do a worse job than Douglas. He couldn't pass to save his life.

I'd take Gallo over Mayo in a heart beat. Mayo was a talented player who was good in college when he always got the ball, but let's remember the type of player he is: a short, averagely-athletic tweener guard who's had plenty of chances to prove himself but is now a marginally contributory bench player. Not saying he isn't good, but JJ Reddick is better right now. Gallo's been frustratingly inconsistent, but I think there are fixable reasons for that. He's certainly demonstrated the ability to be a legit player. He's competitive, and he's shown he can be clutch. Plus, he's 6'10" and can shoot, pass and get to the rim off the dribble.
    Mayo's criminally underrated. That's all I've got to say about that. What he needs is a change of scenery. Gallo's got some good skills for a 6'10 guy, but let's not act like those are really great skills. They're just good for his size, which he doesn't use to his advantage anyway since he plays like he's 6'0. Like I said, he's shown flashes of what he could be. But it may never happen. Usually players that suddenly emerge as stars after a few seasons do so because of increased roles and minutes. Gallo has gotten both of those and more. He never looks like he's ready. I'm starting to question his drive and if he's right for New York.

I don't know why you don't like Wilson Chandler though. He's been ballin' this year. He's got his issues, but there's a reasons teams are interested in him.
    I don't know why people think that. I love Chandler. But come on man, he cannot dribble and he has questionable footwork. At this point I want the Knicks to sell high before he's exposed. He's too stiff. Not one creative bone in his body. I do like that he plays within himself and he never tries to do too much. And he'd be great in a system where he rarely has to dribble. But when Felton sits and there's nobody to get people open looks, they look to Chandler to create offense and he puts it on the floor once and if he can't get his shot off, he passes it back. He was being guarded one on one by a much slower player and he couldn't get past him. I like Chandler as a 5-6 mil/yr player off the bench or as a off-the-ball Shawn Marion type of player in a PG-dominant offense. But Felton, as great as he's been, can't run around while keeping his dribble alive feeding people open shots the way Nash did with Marion. I know I say it a lot, but the most important trait for a perimeter player is ballhandling. No other trait is even close to as important.

NBA rookie of the year

He can't do a worse job than Douglas. He couldn't pass to save his life.
    That I agree with. Turiaf is actually a better passer than Toney Douglas. He's an aggressive defender though, and he can get hot, but he's really not a point guard.

Mayo's criminally underrated. That's all I've got to say about that.
    I'm not saying he isn't a good player. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Knicks as a sixth man type. Give him the ball and let him work. But I see him possibly never making an All-Star Team. Even with the minutes.
    Gallo's got some good skills for a 6'10 guy, but let's not act like those are really great skills. They're just good for his size, which he doesn't use to his advantage anyway since he plays like he's 6'0. Like I said, he's shown flashes of what he could be. But it may never happen. Usually players that suddenly emerge as stars after a few seasons do so because of increased roles and minutes. Gallo has gotten both of those and more. He never looks like he's ready. I'm starting to question his drive and if he's right for New York.
    I would disagree with a lot of that. There are stretches were Gallo doesn't get the ball for 10 or 12 possessions in a row. Not even touching it. When he does have big scoring nights, he's often pretty efficient.

I don't know why people think that. I love Chandler. But come on man, he cannot dribble and he has questionable footwork. At this point I want the Knicks to sell high before he's exposed. He's too stiff. Not one creative bone in his body. I do like that he plays within himself and he never tries to do too much. And he'd be great in a system where he rarely has to dribble. But when Felton sits and there's nobody to get people open looks, they look to Chandler to create offense and he puts it on the floor once and if he can't get his shot off, he passes it back. He was being guarded one on one by a much slower player and he couldn't get past him. I like Chandler as a 5-6 mil/yr player off the bench or as a off-the-ball Shawn Marion type of player in a PG-dominant offense. But Felton, as great as he's been, can't run around while keeping his dribble alive feeding people open shots the way Nash did with Marion. I know I say it a lot, but the most important trait for a perimeter player is ballhandling. No other trait is even close to as important.
    I agree, he's not much of a ball handler. Not as bad as you say, but not great. I actually think Gallo is better at that, but without the athleticism. But Chandler's been hitting his shots and playing well, despite that limitation and despite a point guard who isn't a great distributor. Plus, he plays a lot of games out of position, so you've got to count that in his favor.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Fields isn't a go-to player. He does a lot of things well, but he can't generate offense out of nothing. Felton and Amare can in certain situations. Chandler most definitely can't. He'll hit that open jumper and he has that little one dribble, jumper. But he lacks NBA-level ballhandling ability for his position. Gallinari is absurdly inconsistent and disappears for long stretches. His strength is supposed to be shooting but it takes him several shots to get a good feel. Way too inefficient. Melo can create offense from all over the court in any situation. He's the most complete scorer in the NBA. Every team needs a guy like that. When plays break down, you need that guy on the wing that'll go to work and save that possession. The Lakers have Kobe. Miami has their Big 3. Boston has Pierce. The Spurs have Ginobili. Dallas has Dirk. Every legitimate contender has one.

Banned

You're not getting the point. Go-to-players are rare. As much as I like Landry Fields, hustle guys are common. Stars like Melo are rare.

Really? Do you enjoy that stupid Amare ISO from 20 feet away trying to barrel his way towards the hoop? He's the f'n Center and he spends so much time away from the paint. He comes off curls like a guard. Ridiculous. As good as his jumper has been at times, it ruins floor balance when your big guy is spending so much time on the perimeter. I want his ass on the post. If Lamarcus Aldridge can learn a post game in 4 seasons, I want him to at least try sometime in his 9th season.

Who said it wasn't an asset? It doesn't make him a star though. And he's already maxed out his potential pretty much. His limited ballhandling slows down his entire offensive game. He's never gonna reliably be able to create offense for himself.

Great. And he does it maybe....one quarter every 5 games? I'm sure Kyle Korver has done that too.

It's not like we're talking about irreplaceable pieces here. We're talking about trading for a guy that's been Top 10-15 pretty much every year of his career. We can sign whoever's available in the D-League to fill up the rest of the roster to play 5-10 minutes.

Can Melo just get traded already? This is beyond ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
    Can Melo just get traded already? This is beyond ridiculous.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    I'm not saying he isn't a good player. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the Knicks as a sixth man type. Give him the ball and let him work. But I see him possibly never making an All-Star Team. Even with the minutes.

I would disagree with a lot of that. There are stretches were Gallo doesn't get the ball for 10 or 12 possessions in a row. Not even touching it. When he does have big scoring nights, he's often pretty efficient.
    Hey, I've argued for him a lot on the Knicks boards where there's full of Gallo haters. But at some point we gotta stop making excuses for him. I know he wants to play that whole unselfish role and that's fine if you wanna be Steve Kerr. But if you want to be a star in this league, you have to say "F U" to everyone else and just go to work. Amar'e has done that all season long. And when he didn't succeed we shitted on him for it. And when it did work, we were yelling MVP. He's gotta call for the ball. When we go a few possessions without scoring, Amar'e calls for the ball. Gallo has to do the same if he wants to be respected.

I agree, he's not much of a ball handler. Not as bad as you say, but not great. I actually think Gallo is better at that, but without the athleticism. But Chandler's been hitting his shots and playing well, despite that limitation and despite a point guard who isn't a great distributor. Plus, he plays a lot of games out of position, so you've got to count that in his favor.
    That's the thing about that. He plays PF so you would think he'd have an advantage on the perimeter. But watch the games. He can't get by even the slowest of Centers unless he has a straight path to the hoop. He has the athleticism to do it, but his ballhandling is just so unbelievable pedestrian. I do appreciate what he's done but if I have the opportunity to trade for Melo? I'm pulling the trigger without hesitation.

NBA rookie of the year

Hey, I've argued for him a lot on the Knicks boards where there's full of Gallo haters. But at some point we gotta stop making excuses for him. I know he wants to play that whole unselfish role and that's fine if you wanna be Steve Kerr. But if you want to be a star in this league, you have to say "F U" to everyone else and just go to work. Amar'e has done that all season long. And when he didn't succeed we shitted on him for it. And when it did work, we were yelling MVP. He's gotta call for the ball. When we go a few possessions without scoring, Amar'e calls for the ball. Gallo has to do the same if he wants to be respected.
    I could see that. I don't there are really many excuses to make though. When he get's the ball, he contributes. When he doesn't, less so. The magnifying glass is just super focused on him right now. He misses a couple of shots, and everyone freaks out. Including Felton.

That's the thing about that. He plays PF so you would think he'd have an advantage on the perimeter. But watch the games. He can't get by even the slowest of Centers unless he has a straight path to the hoop. He has the athleticism to do it, but his ballhandling is just so unbelievable pedestrian. I do appreciate what he's done but if I have the opportunity to trade for Melo? I'm pulling the trigger without hesitation.
    I think you're overstating it. He's a good shooter. Plus, you don't want dribble Iso's all the time. The Knicks play best with constant ball movement. Well, all teams do. But especially the Knicks, because everyone can shoot from just about everywhere on the court.
    Last edited by Scoooter; 01-14-2011 at 12:25 AM.