Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    College superstar

Default Re: How to beat the big dude.

I always tell people to play to their strengths. If you're not good at making contested layups, don't take it. If you're a good shooter and he's protecting the rim, pull up from a spot you're comfortable with.

If you can't finish well and you're not a good shooter, just wait for your teammates to catch up. There is nothing wrong with that and it's the right move if you don't think you can finish over him and you're not confident enough in your shot to make a free, wide open shot from anywhere not in the paint.

Don't feel forced to try and make a play when there is none.

Back to Business

u wanna draw contact....plain and simple....and simply lay it up and see if u can get a and 1.dont run away from big men run at them and try and draw a foul on them.of course when u increse your speed and vertical youll be able to dunk over them.lol

Not airballing my layups anymore

Someone said the Eurostep and he's right but there's only one guy that does it at my gym and he pulls it off everytime and scores with a layup or gets fouled.

But yes, it's kind of difficult to master I think. I don't have it down.

But the best thing for u to do is learn a one handed floater/runner.

For me, once I get into the lane, it's a wrap. I'm scoring with my floater/runner.

The key is a SOFT touch. just practice jumping off one foot and releasing it with ur hand. Good luck

Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

my problem is not being able to use my left hand

I rule the local playground Svendiggity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    my problem is not being able to use my left hand
    Three steps at how I got good at going left.

1. When I was chillin, sitin on my couch i would have my ball in my left hand and I would sway it back and forth until I felt comfortable extending the ball far away from my body.

2. Spent a few hours just standing flatfooted(a foot or so away from the hoop) throwing in finger rolls and any weird left handed layups I felt comfortable doing with my right hand.

3. Spent an entire practice session sprinting full speed at the hoop, jumping off my right leg and throwing in the layups i practiced flat footed.

There may be better ways to practice it but the best advice I can give you is break it down , try to master each part of the finish.

I'm 6'8" so I'll give you some tips:

1)A floater. All guards should have this move down pat. You get it high enough, no one is blocking it.

2)Tony Parker has a move where he drives left and does a reverse right handed layup. This is good because the big man more than likely blocks with his right hand and when you attempt the layup, he'll be literally under the rim so blocking it is next to impossible.

Do not stop and pull up a 10 footer. It's a wasted possession if you miss the shot.

Local High School Star No_Look604's Avatar

Y'all wasting your time...who needs to ask a forum what to do in this scenario?

TAKE IT UP STRONG!!

Quote Originally Posted by No_Look604
    Y'all wasting your time...who needs to ask a forum what to do in this scenario?

TAKE IT UP STRONG!!

That's not going to work if you're playing street ball with no fouls. In a street ball scenario, you need to be quick and a little creative. If the opposing player(say 5'9" 180) is going to try to take it strong against me(6'8" 230), there's no such thing as "getting the call". Plus he's also risking getting hurt since I'm a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier.

Jump Shot

Quick First Step + Floater

Just played 3 on 3 basketball today.

guys like tony parker, and rondo are great at getting the ball up onto the backboard really fast. its not always about getting a really explosive attack of the basket, sometimes you can kinda wrong foot a defender, just by going from dribbling to up onto the backbaord in a flash.

or, almost the complete opposite, try attack his body. nobody can jump very high if you are putting them off balance, if you get him moving, then bump him as you are going to the basket, he wont be able to jump as high and block your shot.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

First off evaluate your situation: you don't always need to try to get the bucket yourself. I actually prefer forcing the defender to commit to allow a teammate (who should be filling in behind you) to have a wide open look.

Secondly practice spinning it off of the board from various angles. Since you are in control of the ball the defender has to guess at what you're going to do. Unless their Bismack Biyombo and can jump well after the show to swat it this is to your advantage. So knowing how to hit from various angles is key.

Thirdly I would recommend practicing space clearing moves. Many mentioned the euro step. I'm terrible at it so I have perfected the ability to jump stop to a position where the ball is protected from the defender. My favorite thing to do actually is to do a reverse layup so the rim protects me, so even if I'm straight on I can hop step at the basket so I'm positioned to reverse it.

And finally you need a shot of some sort. A tear drop, a pull up, a floater, a quick scoop, something so that the defender knows they can't just give you that. Then you can try to force them to commit and it opens up a bunch more options to hesitate, or spin off, or something.

Generally the bigs are slower, and honestly, I personally think the most uncomfortable place to be as a defender on a fast break is just sitting in the post waiting for the handler to bear down on me. So I would be that the defender is on their heels anyway. Just be confident when you go up, you'll likely get a positive result.