Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: does how you talk about bball on this forum reflect how u discuss ball in real life?

I usually try to educate casual followers

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: does how you talk about bball on this forum reflect how u discuss ball in real life?

you got your high level of expertise and you got your junior high types, each at their own point in the spectrum. There's guys on here that should be banned from ever talking about basketball lol but there are a lot of guys that really know their stuff to so it ain't that much different really.

Thing is you get the entire internet world so you're gonna find the real-est hoops-heads world-wide on here. knowledge pool is deeper and wider. Look at that crazy dude Euroleague. I mean, he does rant but underneath is considerable knowledge. whether he is from Bosnia or France or Arkansas he does know a lot.

I have lived far out in rural parts of the country for long stretches and THAT was a problem finding people to talk about basketball at all. Especially back in the day. Internet is awesome for that, you can be out in the ocean on a schooner or in Wyoming or Peru and still find somebody to talk about Bob Lanier fighting with Dave Cowens or what the Bucks are up to tonight

Good question. I can't even talk nugs on ish, the "nuggets fan" on ish are so far away from actual nuggets fans it makes it too hard to try. These kids from wherever in the world they're from make it impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Good question. I can't even talk nugs on ish, the "nuggets fan" on ish are so far away from actual nuggets fans it makes it too hard to try. These kids from wherever in the world they're from make it impossible.
    Whereas any old watering hole on Colfax or Alameda you can find somebody ready to talk about Gallinari and Iggy, or the old days with Alex E. Or used to anyhow, they're probably all closed by now. Or even REAL old days with David Thompson and Danny Issel. Do you go that far back? I remember when they had the big changeover from the ABA!

DT gets all the credit for vertical but Dan Issel could really sky too. I saw Dan cut his head on the rim once on a running dunk. "Dr. Dunk" Darnell Hillman rammed into him in the paint and threw him off. You could almost see that little circle of stars going around his head but he stayed in the game, he looked like one of those patriots from the Revolutionary War they had a bandage on his head. nowadays they would bring the ambulance and wheelchair and play Rocky. Pierce is such a chump.
    Issel claimed after that game he didn't actually hit the rim but that was modesty everybody saw him do it. Check him out right here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdGvLMF_0I

About 40 seconds you can see him get way high

No I don't go back farther than dikembe/Abdul-rauf days- I'm mostly referring to the Carmelo leaving situation. On ish these nugs fans followed the world wide media take- every single nugs fan from "real life" understood that kroenke cutting payroll and g Karl played a huge part. Believe ish and he was leaving no matter what. In a frustrating time for real nuggets fans, ish nugs fans made it look like nuggets had no part in this and it was just "Carmelo is a prima Dona"

I will forever believe that had nugs not want 5 years without signing a single fa over min wage, cutting 30 million in payroll, and not trading Kmart things would be a lot different. Kroenke claimed and originally showed he would pay for a winner, and as soon as Carmelo (and nene/jr) got to the point of being ready to win ownership completely quit on them.

Kroenke and Karl forced Carmelo to leave more than "he just wanted to leave"

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    No I don't go back farther than dikembe/Abdul-rauf days- I'm mostly referring to the Carmelo leaving situation. On ish these nugs fans followed the world wide media take- every single nugs fan from "real life" understood that kroenke cutting payroll and g Karl played a huge part. Believe ish and he was leaving no matter what. In a frustrating time for real nuggets fans, ish nugs fans made it look like nuggets had no part in this and it was just "Carmelo is a prima Dona"

I will forever believe that had nugs not want 5 years without signing a single fa over min wage, cutting 30 million in payroll, and not trading Kmart things would be a lot different. Kroenke claimed and originally showed he would pay for a winner, and as soon as Carmelo (and nene/jr) got to the point of being ready to win ownership completely quit on them.

Kroenke and Karl forced Carmelo to leave more than "he just wanted to leave"
    I believe a lot of big league owners not just NBA have a farm team mentality. They aren't about winning rings, or even about winning at all, they are only interested in the pure business of finding talent, trading, getting big money from LA or NY, and profit margins and all that. Not saying the Nuggets are like that necessarily but there's lots of that out there.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    I believe a lot of big league owners not just NBA have a farm team mentality. They aren't about winning rings, or even about winning at all, they are only interested in the pure business of finding talent, trading, getting big money from LA or NY, and profit margins and all that. Not saying the Nuggets are like that necessarily but there's lots of that out there.
    memphis trying to trade parts of a contending team is definitely kinda f@cked up

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I'm more "politically correct" in public.

I was telling someone at the bar how Kobe is better than MJ and he went on this incoherent rambling about how MJ has 6 rings and the most popular athlete in the world. I just basically agreed with his so he can stfu!

It's like how you explain one player is better than the other and "Mr. Politically Correct" brings up MJ as the greatest player ever. I think they do it, so they avoid fights. It's like the common thing to say about MJ even though you don't agree with it.
    It was incoherent to you because you're ****ing stupid if you really think Kobe is in ANY way better than Jordan.

It's not the common thing to say about MJ, it's just facts and you can't handle it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glide2keva
    It was incoherent to you because you're ****ing stupid if you really think Kobe is in ANY way better than Jordan.

It's not the common thing to say about MJ, it's just facts and you can't handle it.
    prime example ^^^^^

mad and pissed.

prime example ^^^^^

mad and pissed.
    Not mad at all. Not even pissed. I'm pretty happy, my son turned 10 today and my daughter turned 16 yesterday. Going to be a fun weekend with my kids.

I'm just stating facts and the fact is Kobe is not in ANY way better than Jordan. The eye test proves it and the stats bare it out plain. No matter how many times you ridiculous fans say otherwise, smart basketball people know better. It's not even about titles.

A rare few of my real life friends actually follow basketball from a game by game/die hard basis. Lot of them are casual fans, because of certain reasons:

1) They got responsibilities in their lives and can't follow basketball because their time is occupied.

2) Might have been a fan of a team or player for a while, but since they don't play anymore they aren't as interested in the NBA, but still like to know some stuff about the current NBA, via anything I tell them or they look it up themselves.

Regardless of the situation, I hear what they got to say or I tell them what's new about the league and players. I usually just tell them the positive things, so we have common understanding.

If it is with someone who has more basketball knowledge on the league and follows it, past and present, then I will probably talk about the things I do on here.

You'd be surprised, most casuals I talk to are basiclly a recreation of Alphawolf or Lebron23.

So it's not a major transition

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

prime example ^^^^^

mad and pissed.
    lol i see characters like that sometimes at the bar. sloppy, overweight middle age cornball still living vicariously through MJ with them air jordan kicks.

sits there knuckle deep in a tray of nachos and randomly chiming in on other customers convo about the game with some unwelcome comment about how they ain't like mike.

Inevitably I have to call them a taxi and they wander off into the night alone.

I make MOST fans like OP feel timid by my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    lol i see characters like that sometimes at the bar. sloppy, overweight middle age cornball still living vicariously through MJ with them air jordan kicks.

sits there knuckle deep in a tray of nachos and randomly chiming in on other customers convo about the game with some unwelcome comment about how they ain't like mike.

Inevitably I have to call them a taxi and they wander off into the night alone.
    You're funny.

I don't go to bars, too many people like you described and too many cocky and arrogant jerks looking to get the ever loving piss slapped out of them for being a douche bag, but wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight.