Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAU Basketball

Saw a basketball once

Default AAU Basketball

Do any of you guys play AAU Ball? and do you think i should play now with 2 of my buds or wait till the summer work on my game get big and then play AAU?

Default Re: AAU Basketball

Might as well just play now and see how you do. Can't hurt nothing but your ego

Hey I hate to sound like an idiot but can someone explain the AAU system to me? Like what it is? How it got started? Why do players join? That kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ElBronco
    Hey I hate to sound like an idiot but can someone explain the AAU system to me? Like what it is? How it got started? Why do players join? That kind of thing.
    just basketball tournaments. There are all different age groups ect. its a great way for players to get recruited. their pretty fun, all the teams i played on were pretty slopp-ily put together so it was just pretty playin, but tournaments are fun, and you can really get to know a lot of the ballers around your area.

Saw a basketball once

I used to play aau ball but then I just started focusing on my strength and working out over the off season. its more of a preference thing do what you like to do.

Saw a basketball once

AAU basketball is where its at. Hopefully you can get on a squad with a real coach who is interested in developing players. On the AAU circuit you get to play very often(usually weekly spring games and weekend tourneys from March thru August). You also get to play against the top players in your area, and if your team is good enough you can make it to national tourneys like Reno and Las Vegas. You will really get to see where your game is at. Unless your blessed physically, you have to eat, sleep, dream basketball. Daily ball handling drills, shooting drills, eating and sleeping right....and AAU spring and summer ball is a must! Your only young once, so get out there and do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaBaller
    AAU basketball is where its at. Hopefully you can get on a squad with a real coach who is interested in developing players. On the AAU circuit you get to play very often(usually weekly spring games and weekend tourneys from March thru August). You also get to play against the top players in your area, and if your team is good enough you can make it to national tourneys like Reno and Las Vegas. You will really get to see where your game is at. Unless your blessed physically, you have to eat, sleep, dream basketball. Daily ball handling drills, shooting drills, eating and sleeping right....and AAU spring and summer ball is a must! Your only young once, so get out there and do it now.
    this. to the op. depends on your age also op. Like if your trying to play at the next level (college), i would advice again depending on your age so if you young like 15 to skip AAU unless your playing for a top 20 program for your state. Once you play for an elite program you get to go to a lot of tournaments with hard competition. If you play for mediocre one you usually just do local tournaments and league play. I believe that the Vegas Big Time Tournament is the biggest AAU tournament of the summer.

NBA Superstar

I played AAU when I was younger but it retrospect it honestly feels a little like overkill. I guess I understand the logic of basketball being available to all those who wish to participate a lot, but there's something about AAU, from a coaches' perspective, that just seems a little over the top and kind of dirty. The motivation seems to sort of shift from just having fun to hyper-competition and feeding players to the old guys in sweatsuits who want you to come play for them.

Again though, it seems like a fulfilling experience to a lot of kids, so I can't really dispute that. Maybe it's the recruiting process I object to; as if these guys are trying to court all these players. It feels creepy and a little unsavory.

I guess it depends on what a player is looking to get out of playing basketball.

If I had any AAU teams around me I would. But I don't so I run track which is actually quite a bit of fun.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue
    If I had any AAU teams around me I would. But I don't so I run track which is actually quite a bit of fun.
    Tracks awesome man, I'd do it if I weren't practicing basketball. What events do you run?

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Tracks awesome man, I'd do it if I weren't practicing basketball. What events do you run?
    Well right now I'm in the open 400 and the 1600 relay. I also run the 800 sometimes, but the open 800 is too close to the open 400 so I can't do both.
    Anyways my PBs are 55.46 in the 400 and 2:18 in the 800.

Also fun fact, my high school team (Gladstone) currently holds the record in the state of Michigan for most consecutive Division 1 championships with 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Maize'N'Blue
    Well right now I'm in the open 400 and the 1600 relay. I also run the 800 sometimes, but the open 800 is too close to the open 400 so I can't do both.
    Anyways my PBs are 55.46 in the 400 and 2:18 in the 800.

Also fun fact, my high school team (Gladstone) currently holds the record in the state of Michigan for most consecutive Division 1 championships with 6.
    Man the 400 is freaking torture... hardest event, that or the 800 in my opinion. I ran the 45m/55m and the 45/55 hurdles for a short stint, but then I stuck to dash. A couple months back I signed up for the Freshman/Sophomore Meet @ Reggie Lewis in Boston under the 45m, but my coach put me running anchor for the 4x400. To add to it, he put our qualifying time down as 3:26 So in theory we would all have to run 54s. I ran a 71 in practice, and just chilled until the meet. I ended up running a 64, but we had to run last after waiting 4 hours...

But yeah that's my track story. I started indoor track this year to get some basketball speed, and that also explains why I run the 45m pretty good (5.6) but a terrible 100m time (13s). Strictly (very) short distance.

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Man the 400 is freaking torture... hardest event, that or the 800 in my opinion. I ran the 45m/55m and the 45/55 hurdles for a short stint, but then I stuck to dash. A couple months back I signed up for the Freshman/Sophomore Meet @ Reggie Lewis in Boston under the 45m, but my coach put me running anchor for the 4x400. To add to it, he put our qualifying time down as 3:26 So in theory we would all have to run 54s. I ran a 71 in practice, and just chilled until the meet. I ended up running a 64, but we had to run last after waiting 4 hours...

But yeah that's my track story. I started indoor track this year to get some basketball speed, and that also explains why I run the 45m pretty good (5.6) but a terrible 100m time (13s). Strictly (very) short distance.
    Actually for a 3:26 wouldn't everyone on the team have to run 51's?
    And yes its awful having the relay as the last event. Next year is going to be crazy, I'm going to run the first event (3200 relay), either the open 400 or 800 in the middle, and the 1600 relay as the last event.

Also fun fact, my dads 1600 relay team had to race against both Steve
    Mariucci and Tom Izzo.

Oh yeah, you're right but we sucked big time, I think we ran like a 4:01... and I really want to do indoor next year but I'm thinking about playing basketball, I haven't played organized bball since 6th grade. Outdoor tracks not my thing though, I hate the 100 cause it's over 2 times what I'm used to running.

Future D1 Dad

my oldest son plays AAU on a 12U team. he's been w/ them a bit over a month and has already played in 2 tourneys. they came in 4th place nationally last year in their 5th grade bracket.