Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Who should Pistons draft in 2013 NBA Draft?

Who should the Pistons draft?
    Last edited by insidehoops; 03-19-2013 at 12:27 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: News, Rumors, Thoughts

I was going to start a thread like this too. It's really all we have to look forward to now, lol. Right now I'm really not impressed with this draft. There's only a couple of guys that even fit what we're doing. I've seen a ton of mock drafts and the more some people's stock is rising it could potentially leave the Pistons with an odd fit. There's actually mock drafts that have Cody Zeller falling to Detroit. While I find it hard for Zeller to fall that far, it could happen. That wouldn't really help us since we drafted Drummond.

The more I look at things, the more I realize we're really screwed at PG. With the way the rules are today you need to have a very good PG. Knight isn't going to get it done there. Calderon isn't good enough. I'm fine with Knight being a guy who plays 20+ minutes off the bench. He's not going to be a top player in this league though. He can be a key guy for a team, but he can't be the floor leader. He also can't be starting at SG. With that said, there's a couple PG's that I think fit on this roster. I really like Marcus Smart. He's big, strong, gets to the rim and makes plays for others. He's a little turnover prone and needs to work on his outside shot, but I think he's a potential game changer. He would really fit in on the Pistons. I also like Carter-Williams, though he has his weaknesses too.

For SG's McLemore is rated too high. He's being projected as one of the top two picks in the draft. He isn't good enough to be that high. He's not a guy who can carry a team. He'll be a decent NBA player, but he's not the next great SG. I like Shabazz to a certain extent. He could be a decent guard, although his lack of athleticism is a bit of a concern to me as is his attitude. He's still the only SG I would take in this draft for Detroit. The one that scares me the most is Victor Oladipo. There's mock drafts that have Detroit taking him. He is not what we need at all. While I love his hustle and defense, we really need someone who can score. We need a guy we can give the ball to when we need a bucket. Oladipo is definitely not that guy in the NBA.

At SF I really like what Otto Porter is doing. He's big enough and seems to be a pretty good player all around. I kind of like the idea of having a couple of Georgetown guys too. His stock has been moving up rapidly though. He might not land with Detroit anymore.

So the 4 guys I'm looking at right now are Marcus Smart, Otto Porter, Shabazz Muhammad, and Michael Carter-Williams. In that order too. Outside of that I just haven't seen good fits for Detroit. This draft is decent in terms of there's plenty of size (which we don't really need anymore) and there's good players. There's not going to be many (if any) all-star level players in this one though. This opinion could change after seeing what happens in the tournament, but that's what it appears to be now. Detroit really needs an all-star level player, especially since we currently don't have any and the only one who's close is Monroe.

What scares me is we have money and with another solid draft pick we might be mediocre. Next year is the draft that will be loaded with high potential big time players like Wiggins, Parker, Harrison, etc. That's the type of player we really need. I'd rather not go out and sign a free agent this year.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Draft MCW

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

So say we have the #3 draft pick (1 game off having the 3rd worst record) Would you take MCW or Oladipo that high? Would you take those two over Shabazz and McLemore?

I personally like the idea of switching knight back to PG and continue to develop him (he is 20 years old - so much room to grow / learn) and draft an athletic / good sized shooting guard who can be somewhat of a go to scorer (potentially)..

Good college starter

If they switch him back to PG and they had the 3rd pick I would take Oladipo. He reminds me of D-Wade. The way he attacks the rim. Shabazz and McLemore are overrated to me. Those 2 should stay in school for another year. MCW has great court vision.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Who should Pistons draft in 2013 NBA Draft?

There's no way I would draft Oladipo with the #3 pick. He's not the next Dwayne Wade. I also don't really want McLemore with a pick that high. I'm not really sold on him as a NBA player. I would really look at Marcus Smart or Shabazz Mohammad. Otto Porter is potentially looking like a top 5 pick too. We are thinking too much of Knight. I don't think he's the PG of the future of this team anymore. Marcus Smart could be an extremely good one in this league though. I think letting Calderon walk and drafting him could be a good long term strategy.

Good college starter

I kind of been thinking that the Pistons should trade Knight too. If the trade him and draft a PG like Smart, then who will be the SG? I don't see Stuckey and Bynum in their plans. Its a toss up on English and Middleton stay too.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    I kind of been thinking that the Pistons should trade Knight too. If the trade him and draft a PG like Smart, then who will be the SG? I don't see Stuckey and Bynum in their plans. Its a toss up on English and Middleton stay too.
    I would think either English or Middleton would last at least one more season because they can be kept around pretty cheap. Other than that I don't really see them lasting too long in the NBA. I mentioned that before though. I don't really get my hopes up for too many 2nd rounders.

SG would be the question if we drafted someone like Smart. I would guess Singler would play either SF or SG for now. I think if they draft a PG they'll pursue a SG or SF in free agency or through a trade. I'd really like to see Knight get moved for a 1st rounder next year. I see him being a good combo guard off the bench but that's about it. Maybe he fits somewhere else better but I really didn't like how this season played out.

I would like to have Stuckey around as one of our guards, but the team just doesn't utilize his strengths anymore. Frank always tries to get him to do stuff that is out of his comfort zone. I think he's definitely going to bolt to a better team and be a 6th man / part time starter somewhere else. He can't be happy with how things have played out in Detroit.

Mate I hear what your saying and I respect your opinion - and everyone else as well... But I have seen enough out of a 20 year old PG in Knight, on an extremely bad team (we are, lets face it) we have to give him at-least another year surely? I mean, it is not like Pistons have great vetran leaders at the moment, and it would be extremely hard trying to be the floor general of this developing team. He has a great outside shot and excellent athleticism, he is FAR from a completed product and FAR from reaching his potential, as this is only his second year... Most players take the big step forward in their 3rd year and I would love to see Knight given the chance to do the same with us at the point... Sure some people don't think he can be a floor general, but I think with good coaching and when he develops and learns the game he will be perfectly suited to today's proto-type PG. Imagine if Boston gave up on Rondo after his 2nd year with averages of 10/5 as a starter... Knight at 14/4 is far from being a scrub, and in my humble opinion deserves more time and a bit of faith. I gave Stuckey, and so did a lot of other people, about 5 years worth of faith before finally deciding he wasn't a starter of the future for us... As our team gets better, the game will come a lot easier for him. i think the Pistons and Knight are on the same time frame in terms of growth over the next few years...

But then again, I could be completely wrong ;)

NBA lottery pick

Knight does have a good outside shot. I agree with that. His athleticism isn't anything great. He's average in that area. I've seen other PG's come into the game on teams just as bad, if not worse and do far more. That's what worries me. The rules in the NBA favor PG's now. That's why having a great floor general like that is such a big deal now. Also you brought up coaching. The Pistons don't have great coaching (and really haven't for a long time). I don't see the coaches helping the development of the younger guys. Am I 100% on let's get rid of him now? Not really. I'm just saying right now his stock is still high. If we have the chance to get a guy like Marcus Smart, then we really have to think about trading Knight. That's my point. If we can get an upgrade at that position, then move him and hopefully get a 1st round pick for him. I see Knight as a 6th man off the bench sort of player. That's not bad, but that's not what we need right now either.

The Calderon trade really opened up my eyes as to how the front office views this situation. If Knight was the PG of the future they definitely wouldn't have done that. Even more so is the fact that they've been so open to saying they want to sign Calderon long term. If we just drafted our starting PG why would we invest so much money in another? It's very obvious having Knight and Calderon on the court at the same time is not a good combination. It's actually a pretty dumb move. I don't think it's the type of move a guy like Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich would make. They can put the PR spin on it all they want, but it's apparent the front office pretty much gave up on Knight. Having Calderon as our starting PG scares the hell out of me. Toronto has been awful for quite a while. They needed to go out and get Lowry. So now we're supposed to waste all this cap space on Calderon and a couple other mediocre players? The worst thing that can happen to us is getting stuck in mediocrity.

Yeah you are right, it is a gamble to keep him in the fact that, if he doesn't show much improvement, his trade value diminishes considerably... On the other hand he develops like we thought he would when we apparently stole him at pick 8, then everything works out... It is a tough call to make, but I feel he gets the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he is incredibly intelligent and has a great attitude. In the end I think it comes down to Frank thinking he can use him effectively or not...

Do you think Smart is going to be a pure PG in this league? That is my only concern, would hate to draft another tweener...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Yeah you are right, it is a gamble to keep him in the fact that, if he doesn't show much improvement, his trade value diminishes considerably... On the other hand he develops like we thought he would when we apparently stole him at pick 8, then everything works out... It is a tough call to make, but I feel he gets the benefit of the doubt due to the fact that he is incredibly intelligent and has a great attitude. In the end I think it comes down to Frank thinking he can use him effectively or not...

Do you think Smart is going to be a pure PG in this league? That is my only concern, would hate to draft another tweener...
    I think Smart has far more upside and will probably be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I think Smart has far more upside and will probably be very good.
    Is he the kind of guy that will happily be feeding our bigs, 8+ assists kind of guy, or will he be more of a combo... That is my only concern. Other than that I love his intensity and intangibles and leadership

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Is he the kind of guy that will happily be feeding our bigs, 8+ assists kind of guy, or will he be more of a combo... That is my only concern. Other than that I love his intensity and intangibles and leadership
    Everybody keeps calling him a combo because of his size, but all that he's played in college is PG. He's been a good passer so far, but he is a bit turnover prone. He needs some experience but his size for the position he plays will make him a tough matchup in the NBA. He kinda reminds me of Chauncey when he was young, except Chauncey had a better outside shot.

NBA lottery pick

I'm ready for the NCAA tournament to start so we can see who steps up this year.