Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Future D1 Dad

Default Re: Time Machines will never be invented.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    They're making a third Bill and Ted.
    let me guess...it'll be bill and ted's kids this time around.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    let me guess...it'll be bill and ted's kids this time around.
    Last I heard they visit themselves in different timelines in the future to see if they ever did created that greatest rock song ever.

I am from the future. It is currently +5 Eastern Time here.
    Please let me play you the song of my people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQB4nAjZIdE

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerang
    I understand traveling in the speed of light would be groundbreaking for human technology and would be revolutional, but I don't see the positives of traveling forward in time however.

There are people who woke up from 20 years of coma, which is basically like traveling in time for them, other than the part where their body deteriorates. But what is there to gain from traveling to the future? Everything you known is already known, you can't take advantages from traveling forward. You are the one who loses knowledge of what happens in between.

here are the merits of traveling backward
    -prevent tragedies
    -get rich predicting lotteries, events
    -bring future technologies to the past
    -invent things before they were invented
    -see love ones in the past and talk to them
    -perhaps change history by triggering an action?
    -etc etc etc

But traveling forward the only merits I see are:
    -having your body at a distant future
    -being able to see future technology

There are ways we could achieve this now too. Freeze someone or put them to sleep in a state that prelongs their body. Wake them up later. But as seen above, there is nothing to be gained from this. You don't live forever, you just delay it.

There is one very basic flaw with time travelling to the past. It is impossible (supposed to be) and not compatible with the laws of physics.

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    Hmm? Bent spacetime is gravity... Mass and energy bend spacetime; not speed or gravity(gravity is bent spacetime!)
    Maybe I worded it wrong, I'm no native speaker, but basically you slow down time, by going at a high speed(time dilatation) or in the vincinity of huge masses(time dilatation by gravity) and masses basically create gravition fields.

There is so much wrong with this. You need to go back to your intro physics text. You CAN travel forward in time without relativistic speeds and with acceleration. We are always travelling into the future. Where did you get this misinformation?
    We are travelling into the future, yes, but basically time travel is based upon time jumps or going faster in time than the outside witness.

General relativity has nothing that forbids close timelike curves, but their existence implies exotic forms of matter. However closed timelike curves and chronology projection conjectures are still an open question, and saying general relativity forbids them is completely unfounded and definitely wrong.
    Yeah it implies it, but it's just something scientists expect so we can keep up with our current paradigm.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    There is one very basic flaw with time travelling to the past. It is impossible (supposed to be) and not compatible with the laws of physics.
    what laws of physics is it actually incompatible with?

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey

No idea hence why I said supposed to be. As far as I know, the only way for time travel back in time is to the earliest point that the time machine was built, but since we don't have any.....I did do a course on special relativity, which showed time travel forward is perfectly possible, but none of the maths suggested that somehow you could have negative time.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    No idea hence why I said supposed to be. As far as I know, the only way for time travel back in time is to the earliest point that the time machine was built, but since we don't have any.....I did do a course on special relativity, which showed time travel forward is perfectly possible, but none of the maths suggested that somehow you could have negative time.
    isn't time just a vector in most physics equations? I don't see any reason why it can't be negative in certain solutions

but i don't think that tells us anything about the plausibility of time travel. I am really ignorant about physics though

are there any good pop physics books that people recommend?

The concept of time travel is pretty ridiculous IMO. Going backwards is without a doubt impossible and thoroughly preposterous. And going forward might be possible in a way thats really an illusion.

Time is a human concept created to explain our reality of there being a past and a future. Logically, time isn't a thing, the universe doesn't know time, particles atoms and all that dont know time. They just exist. There is just no way you can program into a machine a "time" and be able to go there. There is nothing in physics that suggests such a thing would be possible. Its completely a sci fi movie concept.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSopk6h1LAs

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

didn't read thread, did ISH figure out all the intricacies of time travel?

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    The concept of time travel is pretty ridiculous IMO. Going backwards is without a doubt impossible and thoroughly preposterous. And going forward might be possible in a way thats really an illusion.

Time is a human concept created to explain our reality of there being a past and a future. Logically, time isn't a thing, the universe doesn't know time, particles atoms and all that dont know time. They just exist. There is just no way you can program into a machine a "time" and be able to go there. There is nothing in physics that suggests such a thing would be possible. Its completely a sci fi movie concept.
    This

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho

Time is a human concept created to explain our reality of there being a past and a future.[COLOR="Red"] Logically, time isn't a thing, the universe doesn't know time[/COLOR], particles atoms and all that dont know time. They just exist. There is just no way you can program into a machine a "time" and be able to go there. There is nothing in physics that suggests such a thing would be possible. Its completely a sci fi movie concept.
    pretty sure this is wrong or at least up for debate

I think time is recognised by the universe, it's on a plane throughout the universe, Earth is located on a certain part of that plane...I am pretty sure that it has been shown that black holes break the fabric of time, maybe can even reverse it etc....different parts of the universe go at different time rates...etc

National High School Star

Thank god time travel is impossible. I've seen enough movies to make me believe that it's probably a bad idea. But they do make for awesome plots though

Banned

I've actually invented a time machine for forward time. Lock yourself in a room with a years supply of food, come out in a year. BAM! your a year in the future.