Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Re: I'm still young to the game... why do you have to hold the ball...

Interesting.

In my country, it is disrespectful not to score as many points as you can. All my coaches told us that showing respect starts with not toying with your opponent and that we should beat the opposing team by the most points possible. Sure, the starters were off the court at the end of a blowout game, but the reserves still had to score as many points as they could. Had any of my former coaches seen us not trying to score when there was a free lane to the basket, we would have been benched at that very moment.

Showing respect can vary from country to country, I guess.

High School Varsity 6th Man WolfGang's Avatar

People are blowing this up because this is a rookie. If Kobe did this nobody would give half a shit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what D'lil did. I've seen players play intense defense until the final seconds even though the game was over.

Nate Robinson has no right to confront D'lil about his actions. I would have brushed him off like "you ain't on my team niqqa." Don't lecture another team's players.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    I guess when you flip people off, gotta be ready for them to get offended, even if you don't mean it. Lillard might not mean it, but the gesture is taken as disrespect, just like flipping people can be taken as disrespect.
    Yeah, you are correct on that one, and that's kind of my whole point. I understand some people take it as a sign of disrespect, I just do not agree that they should.

It's strange to me because players will get T'd up for saying something vile to an official and the fans and commentators treat that as everyday stuff. Folks often don't seem to get too bent out of shape about that lack of sportsmanship. It's more or less just, "So Sheed gets a well-earned T and Allen will shoot the free throw. While we have this down time let us tell you about our upcoming promotion." Yet, it's an unexciting two hand dunk that really gets folks revved up. I'm not even sure the Rockets announcers responding to Lin getting hit in the face by Artest last night were as offended as the two fellows in the Lillard video.

It all sort of reminds me of the Dave Chappelle clip where he mentions how offended another person gets when he asks them who they're voting for, only for that guy to change the subject back to he and his wife's previous evening relations.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Interesting.

In my country, it is disrespectful not to score as many points as you can. All my coaches told us that showing respect starts with not toying with your opponent and that we should beat the opposing team by the most points possible. Sure, the starters were off the court at the end of a blowout game, but the reserves still had to score as many points as they could. Had any of my former coaches seen us not trying to score when there was a free lane to the basket, we would have been benched at that very moment.

This actually makes a lot more sense to me. I feel intentionally forcing oneself not to score should have more of a possibility to embarrass than merely playing the entire game. To be honest, I'm fine with either option a team chooses. I've been in games where teams dribble out the clock and where they play until the final buzzer. If I had to be completely honest, I prefer the opposition play until the end, because I'd rather play for as long as possible (yes, even for those final, meaningless 30 seconds).

Anyway, in theory, I see where you're coming from, elementally. Intentionally not scoring anymore seems as if it could be just as offensive, as if the winning team feels they're so much better than you that they take pity. I feel like not just playing until the end of the game makes things unnecessarily complicated.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-19-2012 at 04:58 PM.

If I were him I would say to the press after the game: "I don't own shit to the chigago bulls organization. And I will dunk again in the end of the games as many times as I want".

That would be absolutely badass

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Segatti
    If I were him I would say to the press after the game: "I don't own shit to the chigago bulls organization. And I will dunk again in the end of the games as many times as I want".

Ah yes, the NBA 2K13 MyPlayer arrogant response. That'll go over well with local fans and provide you a boost to team chemistry. Your league-wide popularity may take a hit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Segatti

At which point I send in the biggest guy on my bench to clean him out the next time he gets near the rim. The more vulnerable, the better. I pay for my guy's fine and the money he'd lose for being suspended out of my own pocket.

Local High School Star Copperhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stallionaire
    video?
    No video but I found a very old link with some guys talking about it.

http://forums.lakersground.net/togo/...0638&&start=50

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Yeah, you are correct on that one, and that's kind of my whole point. I understand some people take it as a sign of disrespect, I just do not agree that they should.
    I just think that when the losing team is nice enough to admit defeat and stop intentionally fouling for the 0.0000001% chance that they can win the game 14 down with 13 seconds to go, well then the offense should be nice enough to not go for the last unnecessary score.

The only time it's acceptable in tournaments where team score are just for tie-breakers.

I like Lillard but someone going to give him a hard foul in the next couple weeks.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster
    I just think that when the losing team is nice enough to admit defeat and stop intentionally fouling for the 0.0000001% chance that they can win the game 14 down with 13 seconds to go, well then the offense should be nice enough to not go for the last unnecessary score.

The only time it's acceptable in tournaments where team score are just for tie-breakers.
    I see where you're coming from with your specific example and I can agree there'd be times where dunking or scoring would just look weird. I would also agree that it's possible for winning teams to score late in contests with the intent of showing up the competition. However, it seems more times than not, guys are just scoring late because they either just want to score, they want to provide entertainment to the crowd, or they realize they're playing a game and shooting is what happens. In those cases, I do not believe shooting should be taken with offense.

To look specifically at this Lillard situation, it was a two possession game, Chicago missed a shot that would have made it a one possession game. The miss was rebounded and outletted to a streaking Lillard with one Bull haphazardly giving chase. Lillard finished with a bland dunk to make it a three possession game. In my opinion, if Chicago really didn't want their opponent to score anymore, they should have played real basketball until the buzzer.

Lillard attempting to score during a basketball game, without performing any theatrics, without talking trash, without anything that can logically be misconstrued as showing up the competition, should not result in a negative response or folks planning retribution of some kind, or suggesting he should have been taken out in a manner that'd go beyond the rules of basketball. It's a game, and he scored in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I like Lillard but someone going to give him a hard foul in the next couple weeks.
    this.

whether people think its right or not, it WILL rub players the wrong way and they DO remember these things.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    this.

whether people think its right or not, it WILL rub players the wrong way and they DO remember these things.
    You're probably correct. I mean, I'm hopeful some sense of sanity will prevail here, as his dunk was about as innocent as they come, but unfortunately for me (and maybe Lillard) people are just weird about this and I'm not sure it makes any sense.

Meanwhile, I just thought of a late-game play I would in fact deem unsportsmanlike. The Anthony Bowie incident, where he called a time-out with four seconds left in a blowout so he could have an opportunity to gain his 10th assist and earn a triple double. I think there's a big difference between a play like that and a play like Lillard's, who again just merely made an unspectacular dunk with absolutely no celebration or apparent enjoyment.

I'm one of the few people who actually does that on Nba 2k online as well

Quote Originally Posted by WolfGang
    People are blowing this up because this is a rookie. If Kobe did this nobody would give half a shit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what D'lil did. I've seen players play intense defense until the final seconds even though the game was over.

Nate Robinson has no right to confront D'lil about his actions. I would have brushed him off like "you ain't on my team niqqa." Don't lecture another team's players.
    You're a fool and I'll tell you why.

The Bulls players easily could have got back. Tell me how there'd be nothing wrong if one of the Bulls got back, stood hunched under the ring, Lilliards feet catch the defenders body and he's goes ass over head crashing to the floor breaking his arm. Not such a great idea then huh?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Interesting.

It's that way in the US also, we're only talking about the last 5 seconds or less of a game with a team up 8+ and with possession. Just look at the Olympics earlier this year; the US were blowing teams out by 40+ early in the tournament and they kept playing hard because it would have been disrespectful not to.