Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Unhappy really dumb question (Hand is Part of the Ball)

Sorry this may be a simple thing, but WTF does that mean? What are its implications? From the 90s onwards, I've always had my own vague interpretation of it, and it applied to two situations:

1) swiping at the ball for a steal, long as you hit the ball first you can hit his hand? Is that it?

2), or, when going for a shot block, long as you hit the ball first, it doesn't matter if you hit his arm or wrist, long as it's after the shot release?

Rep for anyone who answers this...

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: really dumb question (Hand is Part of the Ball)

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Sorry this may be a simple thing, but WTF does that mean? What are its implications? From the 90s onwards, I've always had my own vague interpretation of it, and it applied to two situations:

1) swiping at the ball for a steal, long as you hit the ball first you can hit his hand? Is that it?

2), or, when going for a shot block, long as you hit the ball first, it doesn't matter if you hit his arm or wrist, long as it's after the shot release?

Rep for anyone who answers this...
    Literally means anytime that the only contact with the opposing player is his hand.. let's say on a jumper.. it's NOT a foul according to the rule book for refs. Unfortunately every game refs call them as fouls. Mainly because the game happens so fast it's hard to establish if they hit wrist or hand and it's not reviewable.

Same goes for blocked shots. Refs call too many fouls when actually any contact with a hand when you block a shot ISN'T a foul.. much like with a jumper. Basically the hand is an extension of the ball.

I don't think it's an official rule. More of a streetball rule.

All it means is that if you block the ball, and make contact with only the part of the hand that's in contact with ball, it's not a foul. It usually applies to dunks and layups, not jumpers.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason

All it means is that if you block the ball, and make contact with only the part of the hand that's in contact with ball, it's not a foul. It usually applies to dunks and layups, not jumpers.
    Yea this is what I thought as well.

There's nothing more annoying than a guy that gives you a high five on a jumpshot not allowing you to get the full wrist motion in.

Wrong. Rule NO 12 under Fouls and Penalties in the ref rule book for the NBA.

5 E. Contact which occurs on the hand of the offensive player, while that hand is in contact with the ball, is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Rep for anyone who answers this..

BTW Beasley has the best hands in the NBA (NO HOMO)

Either way, your interpretation of the rule is wrong. You can't make contact with ANY part of the hand if it's touching the ball. You can make contact with the part of the hand that is in contact with the ball. That's why it almost never applies to jumpers, unless you're blocking the jumper from behind.

This also has nothing to do with entering a shooters 'space', or fouling a player on a follow through. Like I said, it applies mostly to blocking dunks and layups.

Either way, your interpretation of the rule is wrong. You can't make contact with ANY part of the hand if it's touching the ball. You can make contact with the part of the hand that is in contact with the ball. That's why it almost never applies to jumpers, unless you're blocking the jumper from behind.

This also has nothing to do with entering a shooters 'space', or fouling a player on a follow through. Like I said, it applies mostly to blocking dunks and layups.
    Wrong again. Dude on a jumper.. more often than not.. the entire hand is encompassing the ball. Chances of a player hitting the back of your hand or w/e you're saying.. is very slim so has nothing to do with my interpretation. If you slap a ball.. about to be released and get hand.. chances are very high that part of the hand was in contact with the ball. I'm well aware that this doesn't include contact on the follow through or the body.

This is quite simple to understand. If you block a shot.... if the guy has the ball in his hands.. and you connect with his hand while the ball is still fully in his hand it's NOT a foul. EVER. The only exceptions are listed. Anything that is used to intentionally knock him off balance or gain an advantage using the hand.

Obviously if you connect with the hand and yank it or something it's a foul. Or if you bump him on the follow through. Or if you make any contact with the body. If a guy goes straight up for a jumper and you get ball and hand.. it's not a foul.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 03-13-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Wrong again. Dude on a jumper.. more often than not.. the entire hand is encompassing the ball. Chances of a player hitting the space of your palm.. is very slim so has nothing to do with my interpretation. If you slap a ball.. about to be released and get hand.. chances are very high that part of the hand was in contact with the ball. I'm well aware that this doesn't include contact on the follow through or the body.

This is quite simple to understand. If you block a shot.... if the guy has the ball in his hands.. and you connect with his hand while the ball is still fully in his hand it's NOT a foul. EVER. The only exceptions are listed. Anything that is used to intentionally knock him off balance or gain an advantage using the hand.

Obviously if you connect with the hand and yank it or something it's a foul. Or if you bump him on the follow through. Or if you make any contact with the body. If a guy goes straight up for a jumper and you get ball and hand.. it's not a foul.
    Except if you're slapping at the back of someone's hand for a block or a steal, the rule does not encompass that and it is a foul. For example, if someone goes for a layup or finger roll and someone slaps his hand above the wrist, it will be a foul. If someone reaches in for a steal from the side and slaps the back of their hand to knock the ball away, it's a foul.

The only time it's not a foul is some when you're right in front of someone and get a straight up block, and happen to hit one of their hands in the process. That's what the rule's supposed to be anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Except if you're slapping at the back of someone's hand for a block or a steal, the rule does not encompass that and it is a foul. For example, if someone goes for a layup or finger roll and someone slaps his hand above the wrist, it will be a foul. If someone reaches in for a steal from the side and slaps the back of their hand to knock the ball away, it's a foul.

The only time it's not a foul is some when you're right in front of someone and get a straight up block, and happen to hit one of their hands in the process. That's what the rule's supposed to be anyway.
    Which is what I used as an example. A jumpshot. Even on layups.. chances of a player having the ball palmed with back of hand exposed? I already said wrist is foul.

The only times you would be in danger of this foul really are blocking a dunk... or swatting a shot from behind. Most players lay the ball up not down. Nonetheless the refs call WAY WAY too many fouls that should be clean due to this rule.