Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Rose; there are 5 review sites I only use.
    IGN, GameSpot, Edge, Eurogamer and GameTrailers.

I do it because they hardly ever give out 100 and are pretty spot on.
    IGN has the BEST writers in the industry, IMO. I love reading their stuff.

So far; Edge, Euro & IGN gave this game 100% (very rare feat).
    GameSpot gave it 80% but one thing you need to know about this website is that for some strange reason they never give out great scores for PS3 exclusives. Coincidence? I'm not sure...

Still waiting for GameTrailer's review...

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    This is as genuinely excited for a new game IP as I can remember probably since I saw the original Legend of Zelda came in a gold box, and you could save your progress right on the cartridge.

I've loved other new IPs in recent years, Batman, Dead Space, but I've always stumbled into them, bought them after the initial wave. Even the first Uncharted had already been out a year before I bought it.

I do understand Niko's statement (which is a pretty tepid expression of concern by the way). This game is being presented as a true open world experience, but so far the footage we've seen looks as impressive as Uncharted, if not more so, and the reason Uncharted could pull that off is by locking the camera in place for those incredible set pieces, which just isn't the nature of a true open world experience. If it's more limitedly open, like Uncharted, which is open within it's individual levels to a degree, but even then there's only one way to go, albeit possible multiple ways to approach a conflict.

Either way, I'm super pumped.
    Yes, tepid because i'm going to buy it no matter what, and because even if it's somewhat linear like that i'd still enjoy it given the subject matter. But if it's more open and not like Uncharted 2, oh boy. We got something special.

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I usually use those same sites (I've never heard of gametrailers) Except I really like Kotaku. Generally they rate games around the same as I do.

I was just commenting on the low scores and how it's kinda funny why they're doing it. I think gamespot is a little more...M$ supported. I've noticed how they do their scores before. COD gets great scores...Uncharted lower scores.
    The Last of Us - 80%
    Metro: Last Light - 90%

GameSpot

The Last Of Us - 75%
    Dead Space 3 - 95%

2 of the 4 sites that didn't give this game at least a 90 (out of 52 total reviews so far). GameSpot lost a lot of credibility, especially considering all the other really stingy review sites gave this game so much praise.

This guy (Tom) that works for GameSpot really is a douche bag though. He consistently rates every game low mostly for his own personal publicity.

I think The Escapist had a really lenghty review and they said although the story is linear; the environment is actually really broad that allows the players to have a lot of choices as to how to approach different scenarios. IGN also said it took the writer about 18 hours to beat the story mode.

I actually got carried away watching last light on youtube a few days ago. It did look interesting. I know what you're saying though, it's another example of a game getting a score it didn't deserve whereas TLOU got a lower one.

From what I'm reading, besides one reviewer said it took him 11, gameplay seems to be at least 14 hours. That combined with weapons on new campaign difficulty (which means a lot to me now) that's gonna add some major replay. And typically I don't get much replay out of Naughty Dog games.

Might shop around for preorder bonuses. Normally I'm an amazon guy but the $10 video credit is kinda lame.

Sidenote: does sony not release preorder numbers like M$ does? I know I always hear about OMGZZ Halo had the biggest preorder ever! No COD does now! No gears does now! etc etc. I mean TLOU has been #1 on amazon ps3 sales for at least a month, and top 5 for....a ridiculously long time.

IGN and GameSpot are pretty much the least credible sites out there. Both are known to sell scores. Gamespot actually fired one of their employees (who was actually even their editorial Director at the time) over a low review score and literally every single good writer on their staff responded to that by leaving too. (and ironically joining the fired guy's new start-up site)

3-time NBA All-Star

Regardless of the massive hype engine surrounding this game, it was a must-buy for me when I heard about the premise, the mechanics, and the development team.

I'm not sure that the survival/horror aspects of the game is really a style that would benefit from overhyping to the masses....

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    IGN and GameSpot are pretty much the least credible sites out there. Both are known to sell scores. Gamespot actually fired one of their employees (who was actually even their editorial Director at the time) over a low review score and literally every single good writer on their staff responded to that by leaving too. (and ironically joining the fired guy's new start-up site)
    Beyond that one incident, Gamespot is great and isn't afraid to be hard on games. When Gamespot gives a game an 8, 8.5 or a 9 then you know it's a great game. I appreciate a site that's going to be more critical and not easily hand out high scores and praise.

IGN on the other hand seems to work on a 7-10 scale and IMO, simply has poorly written reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Beyond that one incident, Gamespot is great and isn't afraid to be hard on games. When Gamespot gives a game an 8, 8.5 or a 9 then you know it's a great game. I appreciate a site that's going to be more critical and not easily hand out high scores and praise.

IGN on the other hand seems to work on a 7-10 scale and IMO, simply has poorly written reviews.
    I really disagree. Gamespot trolls for reviews, it will like a game, but give it a 7 to get a response. See Luigi Mansion, where everything in the review was positive but it's a 7. It made no sense. I also recall the review of the last Zelda, which had a bunch of factual errors (blatantly wrong things) about the controls. The reviewer who said he played through the whole game didn't know the controls.

I kind of got that vibe from their review of THE LAST OF US, IGN reviewed it high, reviewed it lower so we get people clicking over to see why.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

Completely disagree, GameSpot are notorious for being full-out Microsoft geeks. I love reading/watching their reviews as they are pretty spot on but their scores are highly inconsistent and confusing.

Here's a quick glance at what I'm talking about...metacritic scores are in brackets.

360 Exclusives

Gears of War 9.6 (94)
    Gears of War 3 9.5 (91)
    Halo: Reach 9.5 (91)
    Halo 3 9.5 (94)
    Halo 4 9.0 (87)

PS3 Exclusives

Uncharted 2 9.5 (96)
    Uncharted 3 9.0 (92)
    God of War 3 9.0 (92)
    Killzone 2 9.0 (91)
    Heavy Rain 8.5 (87)
    inFamous 7.5 (84)

Is it a coincidence that every single Xbox exclusive has a higher score then the average, yet every PS3 exclusive gets a lower scoer then the average from GameSpot.

The Last of Us 8.0 (96)

[quote=rhythmic

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I really disagree. Gamespot trolls for reviews, it will like a game, but give it a 7 to get a response. See Luigi Mansion, where everything in the review was positive but it's a 7. It made no sense. I also recall the review of the last Zelda, which had a bunch of factual errors (blatantly wrong things) about the controls. The reviewer who said he played through the whole game didn't know the controls.

I kind of got that vibe from their review of THE LAST OF US, IGN reviewed it high, reviewed it lower so we get people clicking over to see why.
    True. Polygon is even worse.

Both sites with no identity and no real following combined with an unhealthy amount of ambition.

OMG they score 360 .1 or .2 higher than Metacritic average out of 10, and PS3 games .1 or .2 lower. It's a conspiracy!
    Perfect example of a guy missing the entire point.
    It's not the fact that the scores are off by points, it's the consistency at how they favor 360 exclusives. There is clear bias with the scoring on that website.

[quote=rhythmic

I'm not missing the point. You think there is some grand plan at GameSpot to grade 360 games higher than they deserve and PS3 games lower. That's some fanboy bullshit.
    Yet, all the best PS3 exclusives get less recognition from the site when compared to the collective critic reviews; and yet 360 gets more on a consistent basis.

It's just a coincidence?
    I'm not comparing scores for just 1-2 sporadic titles, I gave you games that were released half a decade ago and there is a clear patter of distinction here.