Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: the best centers in the nba right now

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Varejao being ahead of Lopez is "disrespect?" It is actually quite the opposite.

Varejao is getting no respect in this thread. The guy is averaging 14/14 on great efficiency and solid man and help defense and he has barely been mentioned. He also put 35/19 on Lopez in their only head to head match up. Totally outplayed him.
    ya what I been sayin.... I have NOT been able to catch him on tv... i hadn't watched highlight reels in so long because that's just Fool's Game.

But I'm resorting to them just to see this guy, everyone I respect that is watching him says he is the real deal

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Marc Gasol is the best center in the nba at this moment.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Varejao being ahead of Lopez is "disrespect?" It is actually quite the opposite.

Varejao is getting no respect in this thread. The guy is averaging 14/14 on great efficiency and solid man and help defense and he has barely been mentioned. He also put 35/19 on Lopez in their only head to head match up. Totally outplayed him.
    I watched that entire game and yes Varejeo played better than Lopez but a)that game was a total fluke.. Lopez is far, far more likely to drop 30 than varejeo is and b)kyrie was going HAM that game hitting varejeo for layup after layup after splitting our defense right down the seams. Lopez has shit on LA over the past couple years including hanging like 40 on Bynum one time but I'm not going to jump to conclusions over one or two head to heads. Just like Deron has gotten the btetter of CP recently but I would take paul in a second over him.

Lopez>Varejeo and this wont be much of a comparison by the end of the season barring injury to either one of them. Better rim protection, much better and consistent scorer, and most importantly he's younger and is just entering his prime.

The Nets along with pretty much any other gm in the league would never ever take Varejeo over Lopez unless they were competing for the top lottery pick.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Someone that is allergic to rebounding should not be considered as a TOP nba center.

I think its Marc Gasol as well. but people laughing at Brook's rebounding numbers, why arent they laughing at Marc's rebounding numbers as well?

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    I watched that entire game and yes Varejeo played better than Lopez but a)that game was a total fluke.. Lopez is far, far more likely to drop 30 than varejeo is and b)kyrie was going HAM that game hitting varejeo for layup after layup after splitting our defense right down the seams. Lopez has shit on LA over the past couple years including hanging like 40 on Bynum one time but I'm not going to jump to conclusions over one or two head to heads. Just like Deron has gotten the btetter of CP recently but I would take paul in a second over him.

Lopez>Varejeo and this wont be much of a comparison by the end of the season barring injury to either one of them. Better rim protection, much better and consistent scorer, and most importantly he's younger and is just entering his prime.

The Nets along with pretty much any other gm in the league would never ever take Varejeo over Lopez unless they were competing for the top lottery pick.
    Ridiculous. Varejao just had a 19/17 game last night and Kyrie is currently injured, so it is pretty funny that you're trying to chalk up all of his success to Kyrie.

That game was only a "fluke" to those who do not watch Varejao on a regular basis. Here are some of his statlines so far this year, and we are only 12 games into the season...

20 points, 17 rebounds @ Milwaukee
    19 points, 16 rebounds vs. Philadelphia
    35 points, 18 rebounds @ Brooklyn
    9 points, 23 rebounds, 9 assists vs. Washington
    15 points, 15 rebounds @ Clippers
    14 points, 15 rebounds @ Philadelphia
    14 points, 10 rebounds @ Phoenix

And, there is a reason Varejao's highest scoring game came against Brooklyn... Lopez's defense was utterly pathetic.

Varejao > Lopez

Especially if you are going by just this season (as this thread is), it isn't close.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

based on recent play:

1. Duncan
    2. bosh

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Varejao > Lopez
    19/6, 3 blocks per game on 56% shooting as the highest impact player on a 7-4 team

versus

14/14, .4( ) blocks per game on 52% shooting as the, I guess now that Kyrie is out, highest impact player on a 3-9 team.

And Varejeo plays 6 minutes more per game or 20% more time on the court. The fact that you're acting like varejeo is clearly better is a fvcking joke.

All Varejeo does better than Lopez is rebound/pass the ball and play man defense. Lopez is far, far better at defending the rim which is one of the most important attributes a center could have. Varejeo's pathetic lack of blocks and rim protection definitely negatively impact the cavs success more than Lopez' lack of rebounding does to the Nets who have competent rebounders surrounding him. And scoring isnt close. Lopez with a massive edge in volume and signifigant edge in efficiency.

Like i said Lopez is and will be better this year.. Ill bet anything on it and this thread will be bumped for laughs later.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    19/6, 3 blocks per game on 56% shooting as the highest impact player on a 7-4 team

versus

14/14, .4( ) blocks per game on 52% shooting as the, I guess now that Kyrie is out, highest impact player on a 3-9 team.

And Varejeo plays 6 minutes more per game or 20% more time on the court. The fact that you're acting like varejeo is clearly better is a fvcking joke.

All Varejeo does better than Lopez is rebound/pass the ball and play man defense. Lopez is far, far better at defending the rim which is one of the most important attributes a center could have. Varejeo's pathetic lack of blocks and rim protection definitely negatively impact the cavs success more than Lopez' lack of rebounding does to the Nets who have competent rebounders surrounding him. And scoring isnt close. Lopez with a massive edge in volume and signifigant edge in efficiency.

Like i said Lopez is and will be better this year.. Ill bet anything on it and this thread will be bumped for laughs later.
    Once again, the thread is about where the players are right now, not what your personal opinion is by the end of the season. You would have to be utterly insane not to give Varejao the nod at this stage of the season.

Varejao's "pathetic lack of blocks" is really going to be your sticking point?

Varejao gets over double the amount of rebounds per game as compared to Lopez, which is absolutely crucial for a big man. The disparity in scoring isn't nearly as large as the disparity in rebounding. Varejao leads the entire league in rebounding... Does that not count for much these days? I've always felt rebounding was a rather important aspect of the game, especially for a big man.

Varejao is a FAR superior rebounder, a far superior passer, a far superior individual man defender.

Lopez five more points on three more shots per game and he blocks shots better.

And, furthermore, Varejao embarrassed the guy head-to-head. Nothing more to see here.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 11-24-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Ridiculous. Varejao just had a 19/17 game last night and Kyrie is currently injured, so it is pretty funny that you're trying to chalk up all of his success to Kyrie.

That game was only a "fluke" to those who do not watch Varejao on a regular basis. Here are some of his statlines so far this year, and we are only 12 games into the season...

20 points, 17 rebounds @ Milwaukee
    19 points, 16 rebounds vs. Philadelphia
    35 points, 18 rebounds @ Brooklyn
    9 points, 23 rebounds, 9 assists vs. Washington
    15 points, 15 rebounds @ Clippers
    14 points, 15 rebounds @ Philadelphia
    14 points, 10 rebounds @ Phoenix

And, there is a reason Varejao's highest scoring game came against Brooklyn... Lopez's defense was utterly pathetic.

Varejao > Lopez

Especially if you are going by just this season (as this thread is), it isn't close.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teanett
    did you watch dwight the last few games? he's terrible right now.
    I don't see how you can judge Dwight from just his last two games. He should still be considered one of the best centers in the NBA right now. We can't leave him out of the argument, especially when we are speaking top three.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Someone that is allergic to rebounding should not be considered as a TOP nba center.
    Marc Gasol is averaging all of 7 boards a game and you claimed he was the best.

stats stats stats...

lol at op not putting dwight in there and then everybody letting him get away with it.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    lol at op not putting dwight in there and then everybody letting him get away with it.
    I know right?