Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Why Wilt Chamberlain would dominate in today's game ! Bruce Blitz

People weren't interested in that back then. Who would want to ruin a game like that

You know what? My grandpa once told me he saw Wilt jump down from the top of the statue of liberty. True story!

Can't believe some people believe everything they read just because Wilt is their favorite player....

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

I don't know the myths on ish about Wilt dunking free throws.... but here is some fact.

Interview with of Tex Winter, Kansas State basketball coach back in the 50s, talking about being chair of the Coaches Rules committee, and going to see Chamberlain as a freshman at KU.

You may or may not know, but K State - KU is a terrific rivalry.......... so for Tex to come up with some rules that would stop the arch-rival is, well, typical college operations.

The whole interview is awesome, the Chamberlain talk starts about 3:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk

Kind of like a Bill of Attainder lol "legislating" against Chamberlain.

Of course, no video footage, so it never happened right

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    I don't know the myths on ish about Wilt dunking free throws.... but here is some fact.

Interview with of Tex Winter, Kansas State basketball coach back in the 50s, talking about being chair of the Coaches Rules committee, and going to see Chamberlain as a freshman at KU.

You may or may not know, but K State - KU is a terrific rivalry.......... so for Tex to come up with some rules that would stop the arch-rival is, well, typical college operations.

Wilt, himself claimed that he accomplished that feat quite often. BUT, because there was no video footage of, the handful of "anti-Wilt" posters here naturally dismissed it. NOW, we have TEX WINTER confirming that fact.

SONNY HILL claimed that he witnessed Wilt touching the top of the backboard. The "Wilt-haters" dismissed it. It was impossible. No one else has done it. Not even James White. YET, we now have video footage of Chamberlain, while at KU, with his hand very near the top of the backboard...in a jump in which he goes straight up, and without benefit of a running start. We also have FOOTAGE of a 34 year old Wilt, at 300+ lbs., and only a year removed from major knee surgery, ...again, going straight up, with no running start, and his hand reaches above the square, or nearly 12 ft.

Of course, the "Wilt-bashers" will say...see, he couldn't do it.

Which gets me to my point on the 6-6 Gus Johnson, who some have claimed could touch the top of the backboard. We obviously don't have the VIDEO FOOTAGE, but here is what we do KNOW. He made a straight up leap, and touched a nail at the 11' 6" mark. On the surface, that doesn't seem so incredible. After all, we have had NBA players touch the 12' 6" mark.

HOWEVER, it took all that the 6-4 Joey Johnson could do, to equal that mark. So what you ask...or as Millwad chimed in with this:

Being a 6'6 dunker is not impressive. And we all know how shitty those backboards really were..
    And haha, are we supposed to believe that Dennis Johnson's brother could put his chin above the ring
    I bet Millwad never saw Joey Johnson play, even though he was dunking on 11'-7" baskets back in the 90's. Or that he had a measured vertical of 52".

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutaz...ough-the-roof/

Joey Johnson, a former ASU player, was once measured with a 52-inch vertical leap. That measures to 4 feet, 4 inches. The elder Johnson was listed at 6 feet, 3 inches, during his playing days. Add that up: Just by him leaping, the top of his head could go to 10 feet, 7 inches. The standard height of basketball rim is 10 feet.

He dunked a basketball in 1993 on a rim hoisted 11 feet, 7 inches, which was a world record until Harlem Globetrotters Michael “Wild Thing” Wilson and Sean “Elevator” Williams dunked a ball on an 11-8 rim in 1996.
    Think about that. Joey Johnson with his head easily above the rim, had a difficult time, in 1988, touching the same nail that Gus Johnson touched in 1963.

And, that again brings us back to Wilt. We KNOW that with a standing leap, Wilt could nearly touch 13 ft. If Johnson's standing leap could only go slightly above 11' 6", just how high would a Wilt, with a running start, have topped out at?

At least we can finally put an end to the idiotic "anti-Wilt" clan continually denying what so MANY have claimed in the last 50+ years.

Incidently, as a sidenote about long-jumping...Bob Beamon jumped 29' 2" in 1968. That record stood until 1991, when Mike Powell jumped 29' 4"...which is STILL the record. So, in the last 40+ years, we have seen the long jump "jump" by a measely TWO INCHES. Kind of puts a different perspective on the athletes of the 60's and those of even today (who have all the advantages of modern technology.)

Which brings me to this guy...

Can't believe some people believe everything they read just because Wilt is their favorite player
    Most rational Chamberlain posters, and I am certainly in that category, have claimed that Wilt was capable of around a 42" vertical leap, and a 500+ bench press. (The "non-rational" Wilt fans will point out that the internet is loaded with accounts of Wilt with a 50+ vertical, or 550-600 lb. bench press.) We will probably never see any kind of footage confirming Wilt's bench, but we have first hand accounts of him doing it. We also have articles as early as 1964 claiming he was benching 425 lbs, and an eye-witness account of him benching 465 at age 59. And the net is plastered with a TON of accounts of his incredible strength.

As for the vertical, we now HAVE the footage's which show his phenomenal leaping ability. Of course, he was a HIGH JUMP champion, and with horrible form, and doing it PART TIME. He was also a 7-2 man, with a measured 7-8 wingspan, that was a LONG JUMPER, and a TRIPLE JUMPER at KU (as well as a SPRINTER.) In Wilt's first book, there is also a photo of him, playing volleyball sometime in the late 60's or early 70's, in which his waist is above the top of the net. Sportswriter George Kiseda measured a Wilt vertical leap at 42." We have SONNY HILL and TEX WINTER backing up his own claims.

AND, as I have LONG maintained here...where are all of those that actually saw Chamberlain play, who would DISPUTE these staggering claims? Wilt played with HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of different players in his career, and even after his NBA days. He was coached by SEVERAL coaches, and there were DOZENS of coaches who coached against him. He was followed by MANY members of the media. And his game was watched by perhaps MILLIONS of fans in his career. Where are those that would CHALLENGE the MANY astonishing physical feats that were attributed to Wilt? I have never read one LEGITIMATE eye-witness account that claimed that Wilt could not touch the top of the backboard, or bench 500 lbs.

There are the few that have scoffed at the idea that Wilt had a good outside shot. After all, he was a poor FT shooter (of course, Bruce Bowen won the 3pt title in a season in which he shot .404 from the line, too.) BUT, we had a HOF coach, and not one of Wilt's, who witnessed it.

And then, in the last few months, new VIDEO footage, as well as deleted old footage, has surfaced which CLEARLY shows Chamberlain hitting MANY shots from 12-15+ feet.

Hopefully one day, we will get some full games from perhaps a few of his 271 40+ point games, too.

In any case, one thing is becoming quite clear...it is getting worse-and-worse everyday, to be a "Wilt-basher."
    Last edited by jlauber; 12-05-2011 at 01:23 AM.

I definitely dont think it would be illogical to think a Young/Skinny Wilt could touch the top of the back board.

With his length + hops it should be possible.

I dont think we can say for certain if he could or couldn't without more video of Young Wilt but believing he could is not stupid.

It's obvious though "based on what we know and have seen so far" that for someone of his size he had some of the greatest hops ever.

Even Young Kareem I believe mentioned how even older Wilt had tremendous hops which helped him when he attempted to defend his Sky-Hook.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz
    I definitely dont think it would be illogical to think a Young/Skinny Wilt could touch the top of the back board.

With his length + hops it should be possible.

I dont think we can say for certain if he could or couldn't without more video of Young Wilt but believing he could is not stupid.

It's obvious though "based on what we know and have seen so far" that for someone of his size he had some of the greatest hops ever.

Even Young Kareem I believe mentioned how even older Wilt had tremendous hops which helped him when he attempted to defend his Sky-Hook.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EpVZS26BUs

And yes, an OLD Wilt was outjumping a YOUNG Kareem.

And how about a 34 year old Wilt, at 300+ lbs, and on a surgically repaired knee...with a straight-up jump (no running start at all)...reaching the top of the square with his fingertips. Take a look at just past the 30:00 mark, and then they do a slow motion replay several times, including a couple just past the 31:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipl5DeHnMVI
    Last edited by jlauber; 12-05-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Default Wilt is the man.

Ok, so after seeing the above video and seeing Wilt's insane athletic ability, not only am I proclaiming Wilt as a giant sized Kevin Durant, I am going to go ahead and validate his 50ppg season as an extraordinary achievement of athletic proportions.

Titles really do not begin to become relevant until after bringing up 50ppg in 61-62.

My new top 6:
    Wilt - Superhero-type separation.
    Kareem - Total package, most consistent.
    Shaq - Most dominant of the modern age.
    Russell - Greatest team center ever?
    Hakeem- Only one more skilled is Kareem
    Robinson - His 70 point game puts him over Malone, Walton
    Last edited by 305Baller; 12-05-2011 at 02:15 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Wilt is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller

Ok, so after seeing the above video and seeing Wilt's insane athletic ability, not only am I proclaiming Wilt as a giant sized Kevin Durant, I am going to go ahead and validate his 50ppg season as an extraordinary achievement of athletic proportions.

Titles really do not begin to become relevant until after bringing up 50ppg in 61-62.

My new top 6:
    Hakeem- Only one more skilled is Hakeem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWrGWuU2Ak

Hopefully more and more Wilt footage becomes available. I still hold out some kind of hope that we will get one of his 271 40+ point games, or even perhaps one of his 118 50+ point games. And how incredible would it be to see one of his 32 60+ point games (maybe his 62 point game against Russell, or his 73-36 game against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy, or his 78-43 game against the Lakers in '61-62, or his last 60+ game, in 1969, in which he scored 66 points on 29-35 shooting.)

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller

My new top 6:
    Hakeem- Only one more skilled is Kareem
    Your top-6 center of all-time?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Your top-6 center of all-time?
    yes

Decent playground baller Fatstogie's Avatar

LOL im so sick of this dude. Suit is old ass up and get him on the hardwood....

After hes done benching 500lbs....

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi

Repped. This is a great find. The guys legislating against Wilt are stepping forward. This and top of the backboard are things that nobody since Wilt can claim. This is major slap in the face to those who say since guys today can't do it... so it can't be done.

I'm sure the 550 bench press can be gotten from the Terminator as well. A Mr Universe that was actively on steroids never admits that another guy is the strongest in the world, especially when the guy comes from a sport not known for strength building.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Wilt was the F'ing man. We need to find more footage. The guy was so ahead of his time it was scary. This guy would dominate in any era. Love that no look bump pass when he drew two defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Wilt, himself claimed that he accomplished that feat quite often. BUT, because there was no video footage of, the handful of "anti-Wilt" posters here naturally dismissed it. NOW, we have TEX WINTER confirming that fact.

SONNY HILL claimed that he witnessed Wilt touching the top of the backboard. The "Wilt-haters" dismissed it. It was impossible. No one else has done it. Not even James White. YET, we now have video footage of Chamberlain, while at KU, with his hand very near the top of the backboard...in a jump in which he goes straight up, and without benefit of a running start. We also have FOOTAGE of a 34 year old Wilt, at 300+ lbs., and only a year removed from major knee surgery, ...again, going straight up, with no running start, and his hand reaches above the square, or nearly 12 ft.

Of course, the "Wilt-bashers" will say...see, he couldn't do it.

Which gets me to my point on the 6-6 Gus Johnson, who some have claimed could touch the top of the backboard. We obviously don't have the VIDEO FOOTAGE, but here is what we do KNOW. He made a straight up leap, and touched a nail at the 11' 6" mark. On the surface, that doesn't seem so incredible. After all, we have had NBA players touch the 12' 6" mark.

HOWEVER, it took all that the 6-4 Joey Johnson could do, to equal that mark. So what you ask...or as Millwad chimed in with this:

I bet Millwad never saw Joey Johnson play, even though he was dunking on 11'-7" baskets back in the 90's. Or that he had a measured vertical of 52".

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutaz...ough-the-roof/

Think about that. Joey Johnson with his head easily above the rim, had a difficult time, in 1988, touching the same nail that Gus Johnson touched in 1963.

And, that again brings us back to Wilt. We KNOW that with a standing leap, Wilt could nearly touch 13 ft. If Johnson's standing leap could only go slightly above 11' 6", just how high would a Wilt, with a running start, have topped out at?

At least we can finally put an end to the idiotic "anti-Wilt" clan continually denying what so MANY have claimed in the last 50+ years.

Incidently, as a sidenote about long-jumping...Bob Beamon jumped 29' 2" in 1968. That record stood until 1991, when Mike Powell jumped 29' 4"...which is STILL the record. So, in the last 40+ years, we have seen the long jump "jump" by a measely TWO INCHES. Kind of puts a different perspective on the athletes of the 60's and those of even today (who have all the advantages of modern technology.)

Which brings me to this guy...

Most rational Chamberlain posters, and I am certainly in that category, have claimed that Wilt was capable of around a 42" vertical leap, and a 500+ bench press. (The "non-rational" Wilt fans will point out that the internet is loaded with accounts of Wilt with a 50+ vertical, or 550-600 lb. bench press.) We will probably never see any kind of footage confirming Wilt's bench, but we have first hand accounts of him doing it. We also have articles as early as 1964 claiming he was benching 425 lbs, and an eye-witness account of him benching 465 at age 59. And the net is plastered with a TON of accounts of his incredible strength.

As for the vertical, we now HAVE the footage's which show his phenomenal leaping ability. Of course, he was a HIGH JUMP champion, and with horrible form, and doing it PART TIME. He was also a 7-2 man, with a measured 7-8 wingspan, that was a LONG JUMPER, and a TRIPLE JUMPER at KU (as well as a SPRINTER.) In Wilt's first book, there is also a photo of him, playing volleyball sometime in the late 60's or early 70's, in which his waist is above the top of the net. Sportswriter George Kiseda measured a Wilt vertical leap at 42." We have SONNY HILL and TEX WINTER backing up his own claims.

AND, as I have LONG maintained here...where are all of those that actually saw Chamberlain play, who would DISPUTE these staggering claims? Wilt played with HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of different players in his career, and even after his NBA days. He was coached by SEVERAL coaches, and there were DOZENS of coaches who coached against him. He was followed by MANY members of the media. And his game was watched by perhaps MILLIONS of fans in his career. Where are those that would CHALLENGE the MANY astonishing physical feats that were attributed to Wilt? I have never read one LEGITIMATE eye-witness account that claimed that Wilt could not touch the top of the backboard, or bench 500 lbs.

There are the few that have scoffed at the idea that Wilt had a good outside shot. After all, he was a poor FT shooter (of course, Bruce Bowen won the 3pt title in a season in which he shot .404 from the line, too.) BUT, we had a HOF coach, and not one of Wilt's, who witnessed it.

And then, in the last few months, new VIDEO footage, as well as deleted old footage, has surfaced which CLEARLY shows Chamberlain hitting MANY shots from 12-15+ feet.

Hopefully one day, we will get some full games from perhaps a few of his 271 40+ point games, too.

In any case, one thing is becoming quite clear...it is getting worse-and-worse everyday, to be a "Wilt-basher."
    I'm a believer!!

His athleticism reminds me of David Robinson, he's no more athletic than him. People like to put Wilt up on a pedestal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIkTMOwJsto&feature=fvst