Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: What makes Bird greater than Shaq/Duncan?

Quote Originally Posted by ArizaAttack24
    Shaq was a poor rebounder for his size and athleticism if anything, I truly hope you don't believe Shaq is better than Bird, it would be worse than your Dwight Howard love.
    13-14 rpg and 15+ rpg for 2 back to back title runs isn't a poor reboudner for ANYONE's size and athleticism, kid. And who cares even if it was? He was still one of the best rebounders in the league for over a decade.

And Shaq you can easily make a case for Shaq being better than Bird. Watch.

More titles
    Superior longevity
    Much better finals performances
    Better scorer
    Shaq also gave his teams a lot more with his rebounding, shot blocking and defense than Bird did.

You were saying...

And at you saying I love Dwight Howard. I don't love him and have him rated correctly at 5th best in the league and the best center in the league.

people have to remember 90% of ISH never saw bird play. If you didn't see Bird play, you just can't understand because the numbers just don't encapsulate who and what Larry Bird was. Let me explain, if Shaq' had Larry Bird' work ethic and heart. He'd have smashed all of Wilt' record. And thats real talk.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Because Bird could dominate in more areas of the game. people talk about Bird not being a great defender but his hustle had just as much impact as Shaq's or Duncan's defense.

He's arguably as good a half court passer as there ever was.

He was ten times the outside and mid-range shooter and one of the great FT shooters of all time. you couldn't foul him at the end of a game or ever.

he was absolute money. who would you fear most in a game 7. Shaq, Duncan or Bird?

It's ridiculous to say Shaq was a better scorer when Bird could score in so many ways plus you have to count his assists.

Bird averaged 29.9/6/9 at 31 years old while shooting .916 from the FT line. it doesn't get much better than that.

When looking at rebounds you can't just look at the numbers. you have to look at how and when they got rebounds. Bird got 11 boards a night without playing under the basket. centers have a huge advantage in rebound position. Bird hustled for boards.

Oh and I saw Bird's career from the beginning to the end.
    Last edited by allball; 12-10-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

The smaller (even though Bird's around 6'9, not exactly Earl Boykins) player generally always has the advantage over a big post. Whether or not they're "better" players, they're much more complete players. Shaq could back down guys all day, put up 25+ on high 50s %, but when that's not coupled with perimeter games people just don't see them as "as good" a player.

I don't think a post based 7 footer will ever be considered the GOAT by the general public. I can't even think of what he'd have to accomplish to be.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by allball
    Because Bird could dominate in more areas of the game. people talk about Bird not being a great defender but his hustle had just as much impact as Shaq's or Duncan's defense.

He's arguably as good a half court passer as there ever was.

He was ten times the outside and mid-range shooter and one of the great FT shooters of all time. you couldn't foul him at the end of a game or ever.

he was absolute money. who would you fear most in a game 7. Shaq, Duncan or Bird?

It's ridiculous to say Shaq was a better scorer when Bird could score in so many ways plus you have to count his assists.

Bird averaged 29.9/6/9 at 31 years old while shooting .916 from the FT line. it doesn't get much better than that.

When looking at rebounds you can't just look at the numbers. you have to look at how and when they got rebounds. Bird got 11 boards a night without playing under the basket. centers have a huge advantage in rebound position. Bird hustled for boards.

Oh and I saw Bird's career from the beginning to the end.
    Nonsense. Bird is great but I doubt he'd do what he did now.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celts34
    Let me explain, if Shaq' had Larry Bird' work ethic and heart. He'd have smashed all of Wilt' record. And thats real talk.
    I read somewhere that Bird quit coaching when he realized that his team didn't work as hard as he did to improve his game.

Anyway, you are talking about Shaq's potential, not exactly what he did on the court. Especially in his prime. His resume is pretty good in basketball and it is comparable to Bird. Probably even better.

sergiorodriguez
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

nothing, its only his white skin

Washed up streetballer ACCBaller1403's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Nonsense. Bird is great but I doubt he'd do what he did now.
    Hilarious. This guy played in the same league as a young MJ, Dominique, Antoine Carr, Dr. J, Worthy, etc.

Just ridiculous athleticism there. When someone like Dirk who literally does EVERY SINGLE THING worse than Bird can win an MVP and dominate the league, this shows me that Bird would be just fine. Maybe his prime would be extended with the better trainers, shoes, etc. nowadays.

Get out of here with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    I read somewhere that Bird quit coaching when he realized that his team didn't work as hard as he did to improve his game.

Anyway, you are talking about Shaq's potential, not exactly what he did on the court. Especially in his prime. His resume is pretty good in basketball and it is comparable to Bird. Probably even better.

Fail. Bird won 3 straight MVP's,something noone else has ever done btw, in what everyone considers the height of the NBA. Shaq is the Larry Holmes of the NBA, he had a great career, but his prime coincided with no other great big man to challenge him(some of this was due to Zo' kidney ailment). Just like Larry Holmes prime in boxing, where he dominated everyone, but there were no great boxers to challenge him.

ArizaAttack24
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by sergiorodriguez
    nothing, its only his white skin
    Kill yourself immediately.

Bird saved the nba. Duncan/Shaq didnt.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    bird and shaq right now both have career ppg of 24. shaq's gonna drop off after this year.

shaq career rpg = 11 , bird career rpg= 10. I dont see how 1 more rebound makes you a far better rebounder considering that shaq is like 4 inches taller than bird)
    Shaq has played longer then Bird which brings down his stats.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    Bird saved the nba. Duncan/Shaq didnt.

Mhmmm....

Eisenhower won during WWII. Bill Clinton did not. Therefore: Eisenhower > Clinton

they are all great.. leave it as that. but i'll like to say

Bird > Magic

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    Mhmmm....

Eisenhower won during WWII. Bill Clinton did not. Therefore: Eisenhower > Clinton
    eisenhower is a far better president than clinton.