Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Basketball Diary

Probably been done before, but now I have an office job at work, I find my body is better rested for more basketball.

In this thread I'm going to simply write what I've been doing, working on, recent games (mainly pickup)

Feel free to blog your own games and activities in the realm of basketball.

First post I'll start with a bit of background & perhaps I'll eventually get some vids up.

11/11/13

Height: 5'8 Age: 26
    I've been playing ball for about 4-5 years. Not in too good a shape at the moment weighing in approx. 85kg. I'm a combo guard and my real strengths are my ball handling and mid range shooting and passing.
    I also have a good feel for pacing of the offense.

Currently trying to start a daily skipping routine to loose a little bit of weight. I'd like to be around 75kg. I suffer from jumpers knee in both knees, and I attribute the weight I'm carrying to that.
    Started a daily squat and stretch routine a few weeks ago & it has really helped my knees. Having jumpers knee really slows down my game and greatly effects my defence.

That's it for now. No game tonight, Next day of play is looking like Wednesday. Today being Monday, watching my gf bball tonight & also recording my mates game for him tomorrow night.

Happy Ballin'

Default Re: Basketball Diary

Cool thread.

Ill try to blog some of my nights in here

Looking forward to reading about fellow ballers adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Kaspah
    Cool thread.

Ill try to blog some of my nights in here

Looking forward to reading about fellow ballers adventures
    Welcome

Got an hour training sesh tonight with my brother, been scouring the net for some 2 man drills to do, I think i'll just go back to basics tonight and do all those ball handling / shooting drills.

Then a couple hours of pick up games.

Recorded my mates game last night at one of the local comps, higher level of competition there, that I don't feel i'm ready to play in.
    Captured one of the guys I know getting crossed... NASTY.

Till next time

Happy Shooting

Ran drills last night with the bro, just simple dribble with this hand, that hand, crosses, figure 8's, around the world, lay ups & such. Pretty good work out, but I got to organise it a bit better.

Than I had a couple pick up games later, my knees were really bothering me so I couldn't play to my fullest, had a couple sloppy turn overs.
    Hit a couple clutch layups in the first game though to win the game (10 minute game) 12-14.
    Got the defensive rebound, and went on the fast break, 1 on 1 against a slightly taller and longer Asian dude, Euro stepped but he didn't bite, bodied him going left and put up a right handed roll with my back to the basket and dropped it in - pure fluke. That tied it at 12-12.
    Then we got another stop, I received the ball on the left baseline midrange with a small opening, They had a very tall long centre. Drove it and with the right hand as I was under the back board managed to hook it up quickly before the centre could get his arms up for it and banked the shot in with about 10 seconds left. That put the score at 14-12. They missed a 3 at the buzzer.

After that first game I was pretty useless, I felt so unsure and sloppy, not really sure what was up. My knees were really aching by half way through so I just left it at that.

Going to miss the next few sessions and recover my knees a bit, next basketball sesh is looking like Saturday arvo, Thursday today.
    I normally play my best on the Saturday sesh. Can't wait.

Till next time

Played on the weekend, my knees are getting worse, so I'm thinking about taking the week off. Really sucks, cause I want to get better but my knees just can't keep up.

For the next few weeks I'm purely going to try improve my handle and passing and try and get them to the next level, want to try and become a good PG.
    At the moment, every where I play has SG and forwards but no real PG, mainly shoot first PG's.
    I'm going to try and be a high IQ PG who can create for others. Any tips welcomed. I believe by doing so, I'll increase my chances of getting on good teams and also become a better player. I'm really looking to Chris Paul but with no flopping and better defence. That's all I want at the moment.

I've found that I've been trying to improve too many things at once, so if I can focus on one/two things at a time, I'm hoping they'll improve at a faster rate.

I'm also looking for a team to join, mainly social leagues. I've had a couple offers, but trying to find somewhere I can fit in, even a better team and come off the bench.

I'll be back here next week for an update, Laters

Good college starter EricGordon23's Avatar

Just passing through Love the idea though.

So did you end up dropping to 75kg and did it help with your jumpers knee at all I only have Jumpers knee in one leg. I am thinking of dropping weight to see if it will help since I am 99KG. How long do you stretch for?

Quote Originally Posted by EricGordon23
    Just passing through Love the idea though.

So did you end up dropping to 75kg and did it help with your jumpers knee at all I only have Jumpers knee in one leg. I am thinking of dropping weight to see if it will help since I am 99KG. How long do you stretch for?
    Hey

I started with jumpers knee in one knee, didn't think anything of it, but then it started in the other knee too as I found while I was playing I was favouring my injured side.

As for weight loss, nah, not yet, working towards it, Just started a daily skipping routine. Only doing 10 minutes a day, but if you've ever skipped, it's pretty hard core. Also cutting out fast foods... that I love so much ha-ha.
    Currently I weigh in at about 85kg.

After skipping, my knees to feel a lot better though, and as for stretching, I don't do it half as much as I should. I've heard wall sits are very good too but have yet to try them. Got to get my daily squat routine going again after taking the last couple days off as it hurt my knees a lot.
    Trying to get a daily stretching routine going too, mainly just stretch out the hamstrings, quads and calves for 30 seconds each, 2-3 reps probably twice a day.

Ok, was going to take the week off, but one of my mates approached me about playing some pick up 4 vs. 4 half court at some nice new courts at a place called Cedar College.
    With my love of the game, I couldn't say no ha-ha. At least it's only half court. Apparently it's pretty intense, I know pretty good guys that will be there.
    Including this one guy who won back to back MVP of the local Philippino league which is a tough competition.

It'll be good to run with a bunch of new people, my aim is just to come out and never give up, try and focus on good passing and smart decisions.

Let's see what happens.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    Ok, was going to take the week off, but one of my mates approached me about playing some pick up 4 vs. 4 half court at some nice new courts at a place called Cedar College.
    With my love of the game, I couldn't say no ha-ha. At least it's only half court. Apparently it's pretty intense, I know pretty good guys that will be there.
    Including this one guy who won back to back MVP of the local Philippino league which is a tough competition.

It'll be good to run with a bunch of new people, my aim is just to come out and never give up, try and focus on good passing and smart decisions.

Let's see what happens.
    philippino league.... tough competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer
    you'd be surprised, it's not the toughest comp around but it's up there, dudes play dirty as too.

Plus, I'm talking from my level of play, haven't been playing that long and also not tall. Not like some of you college guys or what ever.

Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

imma sophomore in highschool and last week i got cut from the team. my coach didn't tell me what i needed to work on, but i kinda now what i do. ball handling (especially left hand) and defense. I got defense just half the time i lazy which i shouldn't be so if anyone has any good dribbling drills to get my left handles crazy good, holla at ya boy.

today i just played at the ymca for the first time since getting cut. we ran a couple full court games (not the brightest competition) but i shot bad but made layups and passed really good. hopefully my passing today wasn't a fluke . people were calling me rubio

BTW, good thread op. i like the idea. ISH Fam!!

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    you'd be surprised, it's not the toughest comp around but it's up there, dudes play dirty as too.

Plus, I'm talking from my level of play, haven't been playing that long and also not tall. Not like some of you college guys or what ever.
    ah, lol i see. btw, do you guys go to play pick up games solo, and join leagues too by yourself? i go to play solo, and it already sucks sometimes. i'm really hesitant to join a league by myself because theres been many times i've played pickup where people seem to intentionally not pass the ball to me since i'm a random.

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    imma sophomore in highschool and last week i got cut from the team. my coach didn't tell me what i needed to work on, but i kinda now what i do. ball handling (especially left hand) and defense. I got defense just half the time i lazy which i shouldn't be so if anyone has any good dribbling drills to get my left handles crazy good, holla at ya boy.

today i just played at the ymca for the first time since getting cut. we ran a couple full court games (not the brightest competition) but i shot bad but made layups and passed really good. hopefully my passing today wasn't a fluke . people were calling me rubio

BTW, good thread op. i like the idea. ISH Fam!!
    I found that I am improved my dribbling skill the quickest by just walking every where bouncing a basketball, people look at ya a bit weird but meh.
    I used to walk to the shops after work every night, bout a 20 minute walk, and yeah just use to always the the ball, using either hand, between my legs, spin what ever.

ah, lol i see. btw, do you guys go to play pick up games solo, and join leagues too by yourself? i go to play solo, and it already sucks sometimes. i'm really hesitant to join a league by myself because theres been many times i've played pickup where people seem to intentionally not pass the ball to me since i'm a random.
    I normally play pick up, first time I went, I went with a couple of friends, and yeah, now everyone pretty much knows everyone.

I've never joined a pick up game solo as such, I imagine it'd be pretty daunting. I think that's where it would be best to try and prove your worth with screen and hustle and earn the respect.

2nd best team in asia.