Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Default Re: Beal vs. Waiters

beal

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I love the way they work together, personally. It is a luxury to have your two best players be able to initiate an offense and create shots for others and themselves.

For instance, the Heat put their emphasis on slowing down Kyrie's penetration, but that totally opened up the floor for Dion. By the time they were forced to adjust, Dion was in a zone, had his rhythm going and was scoring anyway. And, then the adjustment opened things back up for Kyrie.

Also, Kyrie is such a great spot-up shooter, he can easily fit in well in offensive sets that don't use him as the primary ball-handler. He also works really well off the ball.
    That is a luxury, no doubt, but I just think the Beal/Kyrie duo would be a better fit extended into the future. I haven't gotten to watch a lot of the Cavs so you've got a better feel for it than I do just basing it mostly off play styles.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Beal is really good, and don't sleep on him attacking the basket, just because he has perfect form on his jumper doesn't mean he just shoots jumpers, he attacks the rim as well.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Sick move against the Heat last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQlI_VXZkIw

Watch a few more Wizard games, you'll be a Beal-iver. Sorry I had to say it. Lol

beal is killing us tonight

Waiter is usually described to me as a future poor man's Dwyane Wade. It's pretty hard for me to get excited about a guy like that. The only real way you can have Dwyane Wade's game is if you're an offensive cornerstone for a team. Is Waiters good enough to be that some day? If not, it's tough to see how he'll fit into a championship team's dynamic other than as some kind of sixth man.

Harden was a guy who could make the transition from awkward sixth man to full-on superstar. Maybe Waiters will be too. But from the little I've seen of him, he doesn't seem nearly as deadly or as dynamic as a Harden or a Wade. My opinion's worth very little though as I've not seen too much of him. Only 2 games. And of course I was paying more attention to Kyrie.

I might be ready to jump on the Wizards bandwagon if they draft Anthony Bennett. Wall/Beal/Bennett would be awesome to watch.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Really comes down to who has a better pg

The Holy Trinity

Waiters is not a very good NBA defender yet. I read some Cavs fans' speculation that it may be because of all the 2-3 zone that was drilled into his head at Syracuse. I wonder if that's the explanation for Melo. I swear the best D Melo ever played in his life was the last play of the first half in the ASG against Kobe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Haven't seen enough of Beal to make a direct comparison, but Dion is REALLY good at attacking the rim. Especially in the last couple months, as he has figured out how to finish among the trees in the NBA. His lethal first step has always been there. He has the body to absorb contact and finish. I sense there are a lot of people who haven't watched him lately.

Dion Waiters vs Heat (Full Highlights) [24.02.2013]

Btw, Dion is shooting 51% from the field in his last 10 games.
    LMAO at Bosh "contesting" those shots at the rim.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

I love them both. Tbh. If forced to pick one I'd lean Beal, but I think they both have all-star potential.

Both are really fun to watch too, Waiters with his slashing and Beal with that incredible form. Those Ray Allen comparisons with Beal don't look too far-fetched at all right now btw. He's shooting 50 percent from three over the last two months, and he has a beautiful mid-range game.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9lXcfEd14

look at that stroke...sooo perfect.

and those hating on Waiters defense, give him some time he is a rookie and played zone in college, he will transition sooner rather than later.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9lXcfEd14

look at that stroke...sooo perfect.

and those hating on Waiters defense, give him some time he is a rookie and played zone in college, he will transition sooner rather than later.
    Pure

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    Waiters is not a very good NBA defender yet. I read some Cavs fans' speculation that it may be because of all the 2-3 zone that was drilled into his head at Syracuse. I wonder if that's the explanation for Melo. I swear the best D Melo ever played in his life was the last play of the first half in the ASG against Kobe.
    Where are you getting that he isn't very good. I mean, I agree that he's not very good if you don't take age/experience into account. But, I actually think he has done a pretty good job defensively this year or at least better than I expected.

He will fall asleep at times, but that is to be expected from a rookie. When he has his head in it, neither his man nor help defense is poor for this stage in his career.

Of course Wade went off on him last night, but how many rookies who were drafted as dynamic scorers are going to be able to slow down Dwyane Wade when LeBron James is receiving so much attention?

I think Dion has proven to be pretty solid defensively thus far. He's miles ahead of where Kyrie was at the same stage last year. In fact, he's a better defender than Kyrie right now. That isn't saying much, but Kyrie has been improving on that end incrementally and, if nothing else, he is averaging almost two steals a night.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Waiter is usually described to me as a future poor man's Dwyane Wade. It's pretty hard for me to get excited about a guy like that. The only real way you can have Dwyane Wade's game is if you're an offensive cornerstone for a team. Is Waiters good enough to be that some day? If not, it's tough to see how he'll fit into a championship team's dynamic other than as some kind of sixth man.

Harden was a guy who could make the transition from awkward sixth man to full-on superstar. Maybe Waiters will be too. But from the little I've seen of him, he doesn't seem nearly as deadly or as dynamic as a Harden or a Wade. My opinion's worth very little though as I've not seen too much of him. Only 2 games. And of course I was paying more attention to Kyrie.
    I don't really know what a "poor man's Wade" is exactly. There are definitely similarities in their build and a little in the way they slash to the basket, but I wouldn't take the comparison too far. Waiters has also shown to be a pretty nice facilitator when asked to do so. When you're playing next to Kyrie Irving in the backcourt, 3+ assists per game isn't too bad.

You also have to keep in mind that the guy just turned 21. He is just starting to figure things out. I've watched every Cavs' game this season and Dion's game is just starting to come to life. After having seen every play he's ever made in the NBA, I wouldn't want to have to peg down his ceiling or what he's going to be.

I do know that he is a pretty damn exciting player and I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up being one of the best in that class. Where exactly he'll rank? That remains to be seen. But, as of this moment, it is looking like a heady pick to me.