Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Beal vs Waiters

Banned

Default Re: Beal vs Waiters

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Different coaches, different players to work with, different competition, more or less exposure depending on the school/team, etc.

It's the same reason why different NBA teams matter.
    I'm hard pressed to think of a player in same position that has worse stats on a certain team has more trade value than better stats on a different team in NBA. I can't think of anyone. It might be opposite, where someones value is higher because of the system, but a person with WORSE stats being valued higher? I can't name any, can you? Someone with less stats from same position that is valued more.

in the college game i can probly name hundreds of players with worse stats that are better players.

just go look at damian lilliard compared to derrick rose or any other of the leauge best point guards.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    only played 24 minutes a game.
    If you look at Syracuse's roster last year, only one player averaged over 26 minutes per game (forward Kris Joseph).

They had a very deep backcourt and Waiters actually averaged more minutes per game than the guy that they had starting ahead of him at the 2 (Brandon Triche). Waiters also finished the games.

The more research I do, the less I care about his minutes per game.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I'm still waiting to read/see an argument as to why Beal is better that has anything to do with on the court skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    I'm still waiting to read/see an argument as to why Beal is better that has anything to do with on the court skills.
    I think it just comes down to perception. Beal has been touted as a Top 3 player in this draft since the last few weeks of the college basketball season. Thus, people watched Florida games with the specific purpose of seeing what kind of game he had. Since he played probably his best ball of the season during that tournament, people were (rightly) impressed.

There was still some trepidation due to a fear about his size, but when the combine showed he was a shade under 6-5, everyone seemed to go all-in on him.

Waiters, on the other hand, wasn't a big-name for casual college basketball fans last season. The masses weren't watching Syracuse games with that same "potential Top 3 player in the draft" kind of eyes for Waiters.

Looking back, I wish I had paid more attention to him.

Trust me... I hope you are 100-percent right and I'm starting to get really excited about seeing the Irving/Waiters backcourt.

But, to answer your question... It seems like sort of a perception thing more than anything else. There is little doubt that Waiters was the best slashing guard in this draft and that means a hell of a lot in the NBA.

I'm starting to come along on Waiters...i was just shocked on draft night. It could end up being a solid pick.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I think it just comes down to perception...

But, to answer your question... It seems like sort of a perception thing more than anything else. There is little doubt that Waiters was the best slashing guard in this draft and that means a hell of a lot in the NBA.
    Pretty much exactly what I was getting across. No one can make a valid "Beal > Waiters" argument that has anything to do with basketball ability.

Beal has no handle, is very basic in his ability to play off the ball, has no "in-between" game, and can't shoot off the dribble. Why people act like those flaws from a SG don't matter is beyond me.

Neither is destined to be anything but serviceable pro.

I see more Randy Foye in Waiters than I see D-Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I see more Randy Foye in Waiters than I see D-Wade.
    Foye is a good deal smaller than Waiters. That is the big difference I see. But, I also don't think he is anything near DWade either.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Foye is a good deal smaller than Waiters. That is the big difference I see. But, I also don't think he is anything near DWade either.
    The comparisons to Wade come from Dion's explosive first step and ability to finish around the basket. That and a similar kind of build.

That said, I pretty much agree... Wade has a freakish 6-11 wingspan.

On the other hand, Dion Waiters is also a much longer/bigger player than Foye. He's taller, has a longer winspan/reach and is bigger.

I'd say that Waiters is a pretty unique prospect. I can't really think of a good comparison from what I've seen on film. He doesn't really have a glaring weakness to his game. Excellent at driving to the basket, nice handle, good jumpshot (could use improvement, but good), good defender, nice overall size...

Very nice all-around prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The comparisons to Wade come from Dion's explosive first step and ability to finish around the basket. That and a similar kind of build.

That said, I pretty much agree... Wade has a freakish 6-11 wingspan.
    chad ford said on the bs report that on some metrics (i dont have a clue how they are calculated) waiters closest comparison was marquette dwyane wade, so there is something to the comparison

everyone has been talking about not seeing an article that stats the reason beal is better than waiter have made a great point.

on the other hand i do have an article that states why waiters is better than beal.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...n-dion-waiters

Bal - Ray Allen, Waiters - D.Wade. Oh brother!

How does college ball work? The guy the lakers drafted with the 55th pick has better stats than both these guys doesn't he?
    Huh? You cant be serious with such a question.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    GOBB might not be saying Beal > Waiters, but I am.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
    Fail