Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: So, will Kentucky dominate college ball for the foreseeable future?

I thought it was very obvious Kentucky was vastly over ranked in preseason polls. None of their incoming recruits were going to be on the same level as Davis and MKG,, although Noel was getting close before he got hurt. It was the same thing that happened to UNC in 2010 and, to a lesser extent, this year. No team that loses basically every single starter/rotation player shouldn't sniff the top 20 let alone the top 5 in any preseason ranking. UNC had no business being a preseason top 10 team in 2010 or a top 15 team this year. 2010 just turned into a mega disaster because everyone kept getting hurt and missing chunks of games.

Anyway, I don't really see the big deal about Kentucky's season other than that it ended in a first round NIT loss. They lost their best player about midway through conference play. If Nerlens doesn't get hurt, they're comfortably a tournament team. I mean their ceiling would've been Sweet 16 (maybe Elite 8 with a good draw) but they would've won more games and comfortably made the tournament with Noel.

Next year is going to be interesting. Thought I heard Goodwin already said he's coming back, and if Poythress comes back that's going to be a shitload of talent and egos to manage next year, and there's only one ball. Even without Poythress and Noel it still won't be easy managing everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I wonder what level of mediocrity the Cats would have to play at... and for how long before they stopped being able to pull a top 5 recruiting class every year.

-Smak
    They are one of the most storied basketball programs in NCAA history. Great coaches will always relish the opportunity to coach there, and players will always want to play there. This year was to be expected tbh because of the one and dones they've had for the last 2-3 years. You can't compete every year like that and not expect to have a lull eventually.

Those UK teams that made deep runs the last couple of years have had upperclassmen that were key to their success but those key upperclassmen (Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Josh Harrelson, Patrick Patterson etc etc) have gradually been phased out of their squad and they haven't had that presence since. This year guys like Harrow and Wiltjier weren't really battle tested enough to be relied on heavily, essentially putting all the pressure on the freshmen themselves. And let's face it, they aren't anywhere near Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Davis, MKG, Jones type talent level. Noel is the most talented player and in terms of impact he may have rivalled Davis, but let's just be honest, he is nowhere near as talented and dominant on both sides of the ball like Davis was.

Next year they will beast again and as long as Cal is there, the players talented enough to do a one and done will always have UK towards the top of their list.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I thought it was very obvious Kentucky was vastly over ranked in preseason polls. None of their incoming recruits were going to be on the same level as Davis and MKG,, although Noel was getting close before he got hurt. It was the same thing that happened to UNC in 2010 and, to a lesser extent, this year. No team that loses basically every single starter/rotation player shouldn't sniff the top 20 let alone the top 5 in any preseason ranking. UNC had no business being a preseason top 10 team in 2010 or a top 15 team this year. 2010 just turned into a mega disaster because everyone kept getting hurt and missing chunks of games.

Anyway, I don't really see the big deal about Kentucky's season other than that it ended in a first round NIT loss. They lost their best player about midway through conference play. If Nerlens doesn't get hurt, they're comfortably a tournament team. I mean their ceiling would've been Sweet 16 (maybe Elite 8 with a good draw) but they would've won more games and comfortably made the tournament with Noel.

Next year is going to be interesting. Thought I heard Goodwin already said he's coming back, and if Poythress comes back that's going to be a shitload of talent and egos to manage next year, and there's only one ball. Even without Poythress and Noel it still won't be easy managing everyone.
    Get the f*ck out of here with this crap. Sorry.

Probably the softest collection of top all americans in awhile. And even Noel wasnt that impressive prior to injury. Did you see them play? No fight, no heart.

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Get the f*ck out of here with this crap. Sorry.

Probably the softest collection of top all americans in awhile. And even Noel wasnt that impressive prior to injury. Did you see them play? No fight, no heart.
    He led the nation in blocks and was the likely conference POY and national DPOY

Quote Originally Posted by KG215

I thank you for this reasoned post

I agree that it will be interesting in regards to minutes next year, but I think Cal has changed his tactics after this season. He is going to get all the talent he can, and let them fight it out in practice, and the best man will get the most minutes. In the past, he's been keeping a short roster, but it worked out. It didn't this year, and that's going to change. He doesn't owe any of them anything, you're going to earn your minutes now.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

SEC was terrible this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    I thank you for this reasoned post

I agree that it will be interesting in regards to minutes next year, but I think Cal has changed his tactics after this season. He is going to get all the talent he can, and let them fight it out in practice, and the best man will get the most minutes. In the past, he's been keeping a short roster, but it worked out. It didn't this year, and that's going to change. He doesn't owe any of them anything, you're going to earn your minutes now.
    2010 really humbled me. I think UNC was ranked as high as #8 or #6 in some preseason polls despite losing Hansbrough, Lawson, Green, and Ellington. Ed Davis came back, but he missed close to 15 games at the end of the year and in the NIT tournament; and other supposed to be key players like Tyler Zeller missed a pretty big chunk of games. And on top of that, Roy decided to try John Henson out at SF to start the season which was a disaster. He really came on strong at the end of the season after getting more comfortable playing PF, and was probably the biggest reason we were able to put something together and make the NIT championship game.

It felt like the world was ending and non-UNC fans were making fun of UNC for only being able to make the NIT a year after winning the national championship without putting anything into perspective.

He led the nation in blocks and was the likely conference POY and national DPOY
    Thats what he was known to bring coming from high school. Defensively he's good. While his light in the ass frame allows someone with size to establish position and beast him and he is still learning the nuances of defense outside of shotblocking. Offensively he was as raw as you can get. And I question that kids motor. How hard does he really work and want it? Periods in a game dude is just another tall kid out there. For all the hype about him? Thats not good.

And I dont even base any of this off of Anthony Davis last year. Isolating what the kid has done thus far in college and no progress was made offensively by him. So I wasnt impressed with him as a basketball player this season at all.

Dont get me started on the team. Soft. Hopefully next years class brings some toughness with them.

This had to be a frustrating season for coach Calipari. Well just watching the all-access on ESPN kind of gave us a clue but man this had to be a rough season for coach Calipari. But Kentucky will be back among the top 15 teams next season.

Thats what he was known to bring coming from high school. Defensively he's good. While his light in the ass frame allows someone with size to establish position and beast him and he is still learning the nuances of defense outside of shotblocking. Offensively he was as raw as you can get. And I question that kids motor. How hard does he really work and want it? Periods in a game dude is just another tall kid out there. For all the hype about him? Thats not good.

And I dont even base any of this off of Anthony Davis last year. Isolating what the kid has done thus far in college and no progress was made offensively by him. So I wasnt impressed with him as a basketball player this season at all.

Dont get me started on the team. Soft. Hopefully next years class brings some toughness with them.
    You clearly did not watch Kentucky very much if you are questioning his motor

for god's sake, he tore his ACL because he chased down a guy from behind on a fast break with his team down 15 w/ like 8 minutes left

You clearly did not watch Kentucky very much if you are questioning his motor

for god's sake, he tore his ACL because he chased down a guy from behind on a fast break with his team down 15 w/ like 8 minutes left

okay, good response

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    They are one of the most storied basketball programs in NCAA history. Great coaches will always relish the opportunity to coach there, and players will always want to play there. This year was to be expected tbh because of the one and dones they've had for the last 2-3 years. You can't compete every year like that and not expect to have a lull eventually.

Those UK teams that made deep runs the last couple of years have had upperclassmen that were key to their success but those key upperclassmen (Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Josh Harrelson, Patrick Patterson etc etc) have gradually been phased out of their squad and they haven't had that presence since. This year guys like Harrow and Wiltjier weren't really battle tested enough to be relied on heavily, essentially putting all the pressure on the freshmen themselves. And let's face it, they aren't anywhere near Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Davis, MKG, Jones type talent level. Noel is the most talented player and in terms of impact he may have rivalled Davis, but let's just be honest, he is nowhere near as talented and dominant on both sides of the ball like Davis was.

Next year they will beast again and as long as Cal is there, the players talented enough to do a one and done will always have UK towards the top of their list.
    Yea, but why? There are other storied schools that don't pull the type of recruits Kentucky does. I'm just asking, and I think it's a legit question, at what point would they no longer be a lock to be pulling like 4 top 15 players every year. "Always" you say? I don't know. Maybe...

-Smak

okay, good response
    Considering you addressed only a part of my post?