Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: Greatest Sixers of all time, Iverson or Wilt or Dr J

Dr J is one of the most iconic basketball players to have ever played. How would he not be 1st for the 76ers?

Anyone who thinks Barkley was a better Sixer than Iverson is obviously an Iverson hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    Iverson has no business being uttered in the same breath as Wilt and the Doctor. It's a joke to even put Iverson and his 28 shot attempts to average 31.5 points in the same sentence as legends like Wilt and Julius. Only some stupid ghetto trash kids would even think Iverson was better or even in the league of such legends.

Also LMFAO till a near heartache to listen to AudioOne's plethora of bullshit. Iverson was a ****ing terrible defensive player during his NBA career. He got all those steals because he had no respect for team defense and gambled to get that 1 or 2 steals a game. He was an absolutely atrocious team defender and team defense is what matters when you are playing 5 on 5. AudioOne shut the **** up and stop embarassing yourself with your buillshit.
    Coming from a Derrick Rose fanboy? Hilarious.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

As Far as Peak Level of Play:

1-Moses
    2-Charles
    3-DR J (NBA only)
    4-Iverson

Quote Originally Posted by Audio One
    Allen wasn't perfect, he did have his imperfections, but really, a) I don't see how he's the better player, b) his teammate situation was worse than either of theirs, and most importantly c) I don't see how either of them had the better career, even with the rings, and 4 combined MVPs.

Julius Erving had questionable defense himself. He was an inferior scorer to Iverson, with this being the key facet, as this was each's calling cards the inferior passer. He shooting was streaky at best, didn't have much range. Erving never really made players around him better either, his leadership was questionable. Watching Dawkins just blow up on his watch was mind-boggling; he had NO impact on this young high-schooler, and quite frankly didn't seem to give two ****s about it.

And while Dr. J got his title, he has never led a team to the Finals, and consistlently failed with more talent, time and time again. He joints a great team that finished 2nd in their division the year prior, in '76, a team that has McGinnis, Collins, Cunningham, Carter, Mix. The clear-cut favorites, he loses to Portland in the Finals, a series he should've came through and won. Next year, loses to D.C. and gets played to a standstill by Larry Kenon ( who you may ask?) , and gets ousted again. From watching that team, he was not having any impact on his teammates WHATSOEVER. And this was supposed to be the league's best player??? Next year, same deal AGAIN, even WORSE, losing to that INFERIOR San Antonio team. The next few years are understandable, somewhat, although him blowing that 3-1 lead in '81 pissed me the **** off. We HAD game 6 if he hadn't choked that free throw, Game 7 has that past stolen in the waning seconds He finally wins the title, but the very next year gets WAXED by New Jersey? '85, Malone, Cheeks, Barkley, Jones, Cheeks, good enough team to contend, and lose to Boston, with an injured Bird.

They built around Erving TIME, and time again, and he ROUTINELY let us down. His impact was TREMENDOUS in the 70's; he revolutionized the game, and was the predecesor to Larry and Earvin "saving" the league, no frontin', but he never led a team anywhere. , Iverson taking that team to those Finals, and beating that Lakers dynasty single-handedly was more impressive than anything Erving ever did outside the ABA. I never saw the heart from Julius that I did from Iverson, the will to win, his inferior leadership.. I just can't put him above AI with all that being said.

I'll be getting to Moses a little later

Interesting take on Dr.J. But I give him props on keeping that team contending by him being a focal point. I mean in that tough 80's era that was impressive.

But I heard he did have the same problem Robinson,Lebron use to have and Durant having now. That he was too nice of a player didn't really have a nasty streak to him. Those Sixers team did use to underperform.

Wilt
    Dr J
    AI

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    As Far as Peak Level of Play:

1-Moses
    2-Charles
    3-DR J (NBA only)
    4-Iverson
    You do realize Wilt Chamberlain was a Sixer in 1966-67 season. Right?

Dr.J

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    You do realize Wilt Chamberlain was a Sixer in 1966-67 season. Right?
    You are Right but I Never Saw Him Play. So Yup Wilt 1st The Rest I Mentioned.

Banned

moses didnt play long enough there.. just 4 years. but won a title and fmvp

wilt only played 3.5 years

barkley was great. but no awards or titles

iverson played a long time but no title

erving played a long time. won a title and mvp

hal greer played way longer than wilt and was on that title team

dolph schayes played his whole career with philly. ( they were called the nationals though ) and won a title

i think it goes

#1 erving ( long time sixer + championship + MVP + HOF )
    #2 Schayes ( long time sixer + championship + HOF )
    #3 Greer ( long time sixer + championship + HOF )
    #4 Moses ( championship + FMVP + MVP + HOF )
    #5 Wilt ( championship + 3MVP + HOF )
    #6 Iverson ( long time sixer + MVP )
    #7 Barkley ( mid time sixer + HOF )
    Last edited by kennethgriffin; 03-04-2014 at 08:55 PM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Audio One's Avatar

Moses Malone for that ONE great title season in the early 80's actually played defense consistently, THAT'S IT. He jointed a team that was already very good. He was a very unpolished, uncoordinated center, that couldn't have an offense run through him. I'll agree that Moses was the man, but anyone saying he carried any team anywhere is revising history. Honestly, that 1983 team was STACKED. Bobby Jones was a PHENOMENALLY clutch defensive player, that was our closer on defense, and was the 6th man of the year. Why he never gets talked about is criminal, 'cause we damn sure wouldn't have won it without him. Maurice Cheeks putting up 16 & 7 on 50% in the playoffs, all-defensive 1st team, Andrew Toney, an excellent off-guard, another all-star that year, and all-defensive 1st team. And when he went down, Richardson stepped in and filled in brilliantly for him, he was our Jamal Crawford of sorts during that stretch. That team was damn near as good without him, than with a peak Moses, just think about that..

Anyways, back to The Chairman. He camped out on defense for rebounds, he rarely played D; he was very slow in transition, was a horrendous P&R defender, and rarely contested shots. He was a turnover machine, with a low usage rate This was the quintessential empty stats 5 until the Admiral came along. He's also the only other player other than Irk Nowitzki to have his ass sent him in the first round after winning an MVP. He dominated aganist Seattle in the regular season, but somehow just broke down aganist them come playoff time. Remembering that team that year, they almost were just as good without him, than they were with him. He had no post moves, didn't box out, and for as good as he was on the offensive glass, questionable basketball IQ, he was a terrible defensive rebounder.

That 1981 run, not to take anything away from Malone, but I feel that that tends to get overblown just a bit. When we got past Bird, Malone was only scoring 15 ppg on 40%, and these numbers become more askance when you take the pace of that time into account. Aganist Los Angeles, Earvin was injured, and for Malone's title for owning Kareem, he was decisively outplayed that series, he lost his matchup. It's a shame people like to say Iverson's Finals run was a run-in-the-bottle sort of deal, but this was just the same, if not a worse conference, and a luckier run if we're gonna go that route. Aganist SA and LA, they only got by due to conveniently missed free throws by LA in game 3, and SA in game 5 of that series. Just kinda think of last year's Finals; a team squeaking by two close series with irregularly missed freebies. And then in one of the weakest WCF series ever, play a weak, below-.500 Kansas City group. That Western Conference was weak in the 80's, very much like the Eastern Conference's been since Shaquille left.

Much like the Doctor, Moses failed time and time again with stacked teams. Right after that "dominant" title run, he gets ousted in the first round by the lower-seeded Nets as defending champs You gone get outplayed by Buck Williams Did nothing much worthy of note before or after hand. He was traded during his peak. Now I'm not saying Iverson didn't have his issues with leadership and defense, but I just CAN'T picture Iverson with less than two rings, and a 32 ppg average at LEAST had he played with whom Moses did, and during those faster times. Seeing Allen out there every night, putting that team on his back, fighting through those screens, and playing those passing lanes, screaming at the officials; the best all-stars he played with here was an old Mutombo, and Theo Ratliff Again, he'd have KILLED to play with the talent Moses did in his prime. I personally don't put him above Iverson, as a Sixer, nor as a player, and I really don't see how some people put Moses above Garnett and Hakeem

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Audio One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.J4ever
    I sense your frustration, so i guess you are a Sixer fan. We both are. I just have to disagree with you though about Julius.

Much of what you say is true, but one thing for sure, Doc made his teammates always better. From Virginia, to the Nets, to the Sixers, Doc never played on a losing team and led 2 teams to 7 Finals(2 in the ABA, 4 in the NBA) and he won 3 of the 7 Finals. All these teams had Doc as their best player, except arguably the 83 squad.

Let me ask a question. Yes Moses was the most dominant player in the NBA in 1982-83, but Doc was the better all around player. He allowed Moses to be acclimated, and surrendered much of his game. Might another player with a bigger ego not allowed Moses to lead the Sixers? I submit to you---absolutely. It happens all the time. Would AI have allowed Moses to shine?

Another question, we know as Sixer fans that KAJ was the most dominant player for the Lakers from 1980-82, but Magic nevertheless gets credit for leading those Laker teams. So why the qualifier with Doc's Title? Bird led the Celtics to 1981 Title, but Maxwell was the FMVP. It was the era of the big man, and league MVPs were won consecutively by big men dating back to the Big O till, Doc won it in 1981.

So when Doc wins his title in 1983, I give him full credit. Iverson led 1 team to the Finals, the Sixers built at least 2 teams around Erving, 1980 team and 1982 team, that went to the Finals. You yourself said the Sixers should have beaten Boston in 1981, and Doc would have gotten his first title, for sure vs a .500 Houston team. The 1981 team was also built around Doc.

In an era when the big man dominated with post play, Doc shined and took many teams to the brink of titles. Bird had Parish/Mchale/Maxwell/Walton, and Magic had KAJ/Worthy in the frontline, while Doc had Caldwell Jones and Dawkins. Need I say more?

When Doc was finally paired with a real center, he won, and won dominantly.
    Yeah my man, I guess we'll just respectfully agree to disagree. I personally don't hold the ABA in much regards, if any. And on that '77 team, I honestly feel as though George McGinnis was just as valuable as Julius. He was our team captain, and we went as he went, as was proven in that Finals series unfortunately

Always nice to come across another intelligent, passionate Philly fan though How do you feel about Nerlens future with us?

NBA rookie of the year

Moses Malone for that ONE great title season in the early 80's actually played defense consistently, THAT'S IT. He jointed a team that was already very good. He was a very unpolished, uncoordinated center, that couldn't have an offense run through him. I'll agree that Moses was the man, but anyone saying he carried any team anywhere is revising history. Honestly, that 1983 team was STACKED. Bobby Jones was a PHENOMENALLY clutch defensive player, that was our closer on defense, and was the 6th man of the year. Why he never gets talked about is criminal, 'cause we damn sure wouldn't have won it without him. Maurice Cheeks putting up 16 & 7 on 50% in the playoffs, all-defensive 1st team, Andrew Toney, an excellent off-guard, another all-star that year, and all-defensive 1st team. And when he went down, Richardson stepped in and filled in brilliantly for him, he was our Jamal Crawford of sorts during that stretch. That team was damn near as good without him, than with a peak Moses, just think about that..

Anyways, back to The Chairman. He camped out on defense for rebounds, he rarely played D; he was very slow in transition, was a horrendous P&R defender, and rarely contested shots. He was a turnover machine, with a low usage rate This was the quintessential empty stats 5 until the Admiral came along. He's also the only other player other than Irk Nowitzki to have his ass sent him in the first round after winning an MVP. He dominated aganist Seattle in the regular season, but somehow just broke down aganist them come playoff time. Remembering that team that year, they almost were just as good without him, than they were with him. He had no post moves, didn't box out, and for as good as he was on the offensive glass, questionable basketball IQ, he was a terrible defensive rebounder.

That 1981 run, not to take anything away from Malone, but I feel that that tends to get overblown just a bit. When we got past Bird, Malone was only scoring 15 ppg on 40%, and these numbers become more askance when you take the pace of that time into account. Aganist Los Angeles, Earvin was injured, and for Malone's title for owning Kareem, he was decisively outplayed that series, he lost his matchup. It's a shame people like to say Iverson's Finals run was a run-in-the-bottle sort of deal, but this was just the same, if not a worse conference, and a luckier run if we're gonna go that route. Aganist SA and LA, they only got by due to conveniently missed free throws by LA in game 3, and SA in game 5 of that series. Just kinda think of last year's Finals; a team squeaking by two close series with irregularly missed freebies. And then in one of the weakest WCF series ever, play a weak, below-.500 Kansas City group. That Western Conference was weak in the 80's, very much like the Eastern Conference's been since Shaquille left.

Much like the Doctor, Moses failed time and time again with stacked teams. Right after that "dominant" title run, he gets ousted in the first round by the lower-seeded Nets as defending champs You gone get outplayed by Buck Williams Did nothing much worthy of note before or after hand. He was traded during his peak. Now I'm not saying Iverson didn't have his issues with leadership and defense, but I just CAN'T picture Iverson with less than two rings, and a 32 ppg average at LEAST had he played with whom Moses did, and during those faster times. Seeing Allen out there every night, putting that team on his back, fighting through those screens, and playing those passing lanes, screaming at the officials; the best all-stars he played with here was an old Mutombo, and Theo Ratliff Again, he'd have KILLED to play with the talent Moses did in his prime. I personally don't put him above Iverson, as a Sixer, nor as a player, and I really don't see how some people put Moses above Garnett and Hakeem
    And you want us to believe that you're not Jlauber...

Yeah my man, I guess we'll just respectfully agree to disagree. I personally don't hold the ABA in much regards, if any. And on that '77 team, I honestly feel as though George McGinnis was just as valuable as Julius. He was our team captain, and we went as he went, as was proven in that Finals series unfortunately

Always nice to come across another intelligent, passionate Philly fan though How do you feel about Nerlens future with us?
    I honestly don't watch too much College Basketball to know too much about Noel, but I trust Hinkie. I still think the Sixers are doing the best thing, tanking and stuff. I am sick and tired of playing for the 8 spot, and then drafting no. 15.

I miss the days when the Sixers were top billing. I still remember the days when the Sixers would go to Chicago with Doc and Moses, and there were more Sixer fans on the stands than Bulls fans. That would be unimaginable today.

I want the Sixers to go back to being an elite franchise, just as it has always been historically. Heck, our all time greats can be matched up with any franchise and win an all time tournament. Anyone disagree?

I think Hinkie is on the right path. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. It just hurts like hell today, not having an NBA team to root for.