Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Most Disappointing Contest Dunker?

Who's the worst of the worst?

They are not bad dunkers. Far far far far from it. They just promised hype and clearly did not live up to it. Either pressure was too much or they were simply not fit for contest dunks.

Banned

Default Re: Most Disappointing Contest Dunker?

Out of these guys? Probably Shannon Brown

Made that high school varsity squad Hotbullets's Avatar

Brown by far.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

I'm going to go with James White. He got an NBA contract for one thing and one thing only, and he choked. Brown while having some insane athleticism and impressive game dunks never really did anything to make me think he was a creative dunker. I guess I was just a victim of buying into White's hype

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

I'm gonna go with James White. I think he had the most pressure/hype out of all of them with Blake Griffin trailing closely, but at least BG won it. Blake had a pretty impressive first dunk attempt as well. We all expected what Flight White was going to do and we still looked forward to him dominating, but the nerves took over. These are dunks he does routinely and have done it in multiple dunk contests, but he failed to complete them in one or two tries.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    . I guess I was just a victim of buying into White's hype
    That's the thing, though. White is an all time great contest dunker.

High School Varsity 6th Man

I cant agree with the James White nod. We know what he is capable of based of all his previous dunk contests. But people kinda knew he was getting old.

Shannon Brown had this huge campaign to get him into the dunk contest, everyone was so hyped because of his freakish leaping ability and he dunks he did during the season. Dude literally took all the air out of the room after his dunk. Some really basic dunks.http://youtu.be/RpGjqAw4uNk
    Last edited by DropStep; 01-07-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Good college starter EricGordon23's Avatar

Shannon brown or gerald wallace

Banned

What about Moon? Dude was pure ass. The worst part of it all was the fact that this guy thought he could put the tape so far behind the freethrow line and made everyone drop their jaws....dude then jumped inside the line and acted like nothing happened. I gave up on him forever after that moment.

Banned

based on hype and expectations, S. Brown might be the worst contestant ever

I have never been more embarassed for the NBA than when I saw the Blake Griffin dunk contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41EFwuBqEUA

Can anyone really watch that and not cringe?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

The whole spectacle was corny, but his other dunks were legit. Literally the only reason I added him in the OP was for people like you who would no doubt blow it out of proportion.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

I have never been more embarassed for the NBA than when I saw the Blake Griffin dunk contest.

It's a bit corny and all but certainly not the worst.
    Plus we all know Griffin is more of a in-game dunker.

NBA Superstar

In terms of hype, I think James White is the dunker that left me the most disappointed since I began watching the event live in 1994. I wasn't even mad though. I was just really bummed out.

I've been an underground fan of White since 2002-ish, slightly before the internet and YouTube allowed everyone to see everything all the time. I had a HoopsTV.com Ball Above All VHS with a White feature that I used to show my friends. So after all these years, I was really pulling for him on the big stage. Of course, similar to his college dunk contest experience, it didn't quite work out. And it sucked.

After White, I guess the next choice would be Shannon Brown with all the hype he had that year (LetShannonDunk).

Otherwise, most of the big names have at least sort of lived up to any dunk contest hype. Though on second thought, I always used to find it a little disappointing that Shawn Kemp would always lose in his dunk contests.

Edit: On second thought, I was extremely disappointed with Josh Smith's defending contest in 2006, mostly because he built up his own hype with these theatrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwVpAVWfBxo

I actually thought he had a pretty good contest outside of the mediocre final dunk. I was hoping he'd windmill over the car or anything besides just a standard finish.

But yes, the theatrics were corny. That said, if you've never been more embarrassed for the NBA after that slam, I must wonder where the following year's contest ranks with you, featuring standard reverse dunks while wearing head cameras, dunking in the dark, jumping over motorcycles and everything Chase Budinger ever did.

Say what you will about Blake Griffin's dunk contest, but at least it didn't include awful, awful skits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAtyJrU4ncE
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-07-2014 at 05:25 PM.