Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How do you play 21?

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    How does it put more pressure on you to make shots?

How I play:

Go by twos to 21.
    First free throw is 2 points.
    Free throws are at the top of the arc.
    Can't call violations until you get to 10.
    If you miss a FT at 20, you go back to 15.
    If someone tips in one of your missed shots, you go back to 0.
    Three and move at the line
    Because I play with guys who will make like 10 shots in a row so when it's your free shot, you have to make it.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    Because I play with guys who will make like 10 shots in a row so when it's your free shot, you have to make it.
    Doesn't that more or less turn it into a glorified game of P.I.G., with most of the game just being everyone watching one person fire wide open spot-up jumpers? We put a cap on free shots so there will always be a significant amount of points a person must work for. If nothing else, it keeps the game active and flowing. Elsewise, as you said, without a limit a hot shooter's just going to turn things into his own personal shootaround.

Banned

I never play with free throws but if we do, if you make 3 in a row we just check the ball up and start playing again. We don't do that free throw shit. I would never lose then.

First FT is 2-pts. All other FTs and regular FGs are 1 pt, except 3-pters are 2 pts.

You shoot up to 3 FTs in a row, and after making your 3rd, we get back into game action.

When a player is going for the game winning FT, it has to be from the 3-pt line and if he misses, his score goes back to 15.

With these rules, I've had games last up to a full hour with a good amount of people on the court.

IN LA, with almost anyone and any court I've played on, it's usually..

A game up to 21.

First person "breaks" from the 3pt line or free throw.
    If he makes, he keeps shooting free throws or 3pt liners until he hits 3 in a row or he misses.
    Once he misses, live ball.
    MUST CLEAR EVERY MISS to the 3pt line.(unless its your own)

Only 2/3 pt baskets.

You get free throws after every live play basket. You make and keep going up to 3. If you miss, it's live ball.

Free throws are worth 1 pt and 2 pts(from behind 3pt).
    HOWEVER, the first free shot made from either 3pt of free throw give you am additional point (I.E. first free throw is worth 2, first 3 pt is worth 3. Then they are all worth 1, and 2)

If you hit 21, you have to make a 3 pter to win the game. IF YOU MISS, back to 15. Or if you're on 20, shooting a free throw to hit 21, and you miss, you drop to 15.

I always get 21, like 2 or 3 times. I can't ever make that 3 pter. Lol

We play 21 (Minneapolis) with a player shooting from the 3pt area. If he/she makes that 1st shot(3pter in this case it is 3pts), they then shoot a free throw. The 1st free throw made counts as 3 pts. So in this example a person can start the game off with 6pts real quick.

We plays 2s and 3s and free throws, minus the first made FT, count as 1pt. All freethrows are shot from the 3pt area. If you get to 21 you still have to make a FT(3pt area) to prove the win. So in a way you end the game at 22. Hey it is cold here and we are silly

You have to take it back if you get a rebound from another player who shot and missed. If you shoot and miss you can get your rebound and put it back for a score.

If you shoot and miss, you have to play defense on whoever got the rebound.

That is pretty much it for 21 in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Doesn't that more or less turn it into a glorified game of P.I.G., with most of the game just being everyone watching one person fire wide open spot-up jumpers? We put a cap on free shots so there will always be a significant amount of points a person must work for. If nothing else, it keeps the game active and flowing. Elsewise, as you said, without a limit a hot shooter's just going to turn things into his own personal shootaround.
    well if you play with tips most likely you will miss and someone will tip it/dunk it in and you go to zero

it makes playing D more important too because if you know a guy is a good shooter you will most likely not let him score easily. If you play last person shoots plays D it wouldnt make sense to play make it take it on free shots, but if you play double/triple teams or whatever included then everyone will just gang up on him anyways. It actually makes it tougher because then everyone will play serious and then there will be more pressure on you to make your shots when it's your turn to shoot. And eventually, if the games get long, the shots will be harder because you'll be more tired, especially during the summer on a hot day or a gym that's not air conditioned

I usually play 2's and 3's to 21. Up to 3 FT's after a bucket, then you take the ball up top again.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

-One person from either team shoots a 3. If it goes in, his team takes out. If not, other team does.

- Take out is in between 3 point line and halfcourt line

- All shots inside of 3 pt line count as 1 point. Shots outside 3 pt line count as 2 points.

- No free throws

- Take out on foul calls

- If the opposing team gets a defensive rebound, ball has to be dribbled out or passed to free throw line distance before an attempt at scoring can be made.

-You have to win by 2 points.

In Columbus, OH they call 21 Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    depends on the neighborhood but i can confirm this

Interesting. No wonder nobody can hit FT anymore; they're chucking from the arc instead.

I'm 100, so haven't played 21 in a long time. When I did, it was a game only for an odd # (almost always 3) players. Pretty much the only reason for it; a game when you don't have # for a game.

All baskets are 2, FT (actual FT) are 1. Max of 3 consecutive made FT. Make 3 and clear the ball to start a new possession. Ball is cleared behind the top of the key.

Hit 21 exactly or back to 13.

No autopsy, no foul.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Interesting. No wonder nobody can hit FT anymore; they're chucking from the arc instead.
    Ha, I'm cool with either free throws or threes. The rest of your rules are very similar to my area's.

Separate from 21 though, what I do find amusing is when a new player comes to our park and raises a huge fuss when he sees that we shoot free throws to create teams for our pickup games (instead of three pointers). That type of guy usually says something along the lines of, "Aw it's like that?", "Man, y'all weak", or "Roun' my way we take men's shots", as if shooting threes for teams somehow defines one's own ability.

Anyhow, we sometimes placate those folks and shoot threes for teams just to make them feel more at home. Alas, picking teams then tends to take four times as long as normal and that dude's the one up there struggling to hit.

Each shot is worth 1.
    After each make, you have FTs or 3pt shots to add on. No more than three consecutive makes.
    First FT is two points, thereafter is one. First three is three points, thereafter is two.
    Once you hit 21+, you have to hit a three. If you miss, and someone else scores, you drop to 15. If you miss and are the first to score, you get another chance to end the game.

We also play with "tips" and with "elimination".

With tips, its a putback. If someone putsback a miss right off the backboard/rim, you drop to zero. If you are at zero, you are eliminated. If you have 18+, you drop to 8 at a tip.

With eliminations, once someone hits 15+, you must have 6+ or you are eliminated.