Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I usually hit open layups

Default Re: Michael Beasley for PF or SF?

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Considering Beasley's 6'8" size, strength, quickness, and face up shooting skill, would you want the Heat to develop Beasley as a PF or SF? Some people are saying they want him to become a SF, since there are abundant talented PFs available in 2009 & 2010 for the Heat to sign.

I on the other other hand disagree. I think in the next 2 to 3 years when he bulks up and works on his game he's going to look alot more like a PF. Beasley already looks like a solid rebounder to me, and you can see he's making progress defending other PFs. Right now I notice he plays well from the perimeter, but if we had better floor spacing and he positioned himself from the high post it would give for less time for help defenders to step in for the offensive foul. He'd still be able to sink jumpers all day when they play off him, but when they play close up on him, he'll be more sucessful at driving into the lane without it being clogged.

So for me I like him as a PF... what do you guys think?
    I prefer him at pf but... with Haslem there too and Wright/Jones the best options at sf... where would you start him this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Reilly
    I prefer him at pf but... with Haslem there too and Wright/Jones the best options at sf... where would you start him this year?
    Well I started this topic before the halfway point of the season. After seeing him play through the rest of the season, the playoffs, watching his progress in the videos on the Heat's NBA.com webpage, etc...

I'm still not sold on him being a SF . I think he can be a versatile "forward" like Spoelstra & Riley described him... unwilling to tie him to either position full time. Guys like Jamison, Lewis, Diaw, etc... have made a successful career out of playing both postions effectively, I'm just hoping the same can happen for Beasley.

It really depends on what other personel moves the Heat make to determine where he will see most of his minutes. But I think next season he'll see the most minutes at SF since there isn't many other options.

Local High School Star Lord Leoshes's Avatar

From every report coming out of the Heat is Beasley is being groomed to start at SF the same way A Walker started for us. Will it work? we'll see in preseason.
    I hope he can be the kind of tweener that you really don't care what position he is on cause he is just that good.

I like Beasley's game. It kind of reminds me of George Gervin. For those too young to remember, George "Iceman" Gervin was a silky smooth forward for the San Antonio Spurs back in the 70's and 80's. His finger roll was ridiculous!!!

I want to see him get minutes in both spots mainly because of the match up problems it would cause. I would like to see him take less 3's. I'd prefer him to play from about 20' to inside the paint.
    Last edited by TBone; 08-20-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone
    I like Beasley's game. It kind of reminds me of George Gervin. For those too young to remember, George "Iceman" Gervin was a silky smooth forward for the San Antonio Spurs back in the 70's and 80's. His finger roll was ridiculous!!!

I want to see him get minutes in both spots mainly because of the match up problems it would cause. I would like to see him take less 3's. I'd prefer him to play from about 20' to inside the paint.
    Beasley barely took 3PT shots last season. He took 81 total 3s in 81 games last season. 1 shot per game.

I can see Beasley being mainly a 3 in the future, but I think he should stick the to power forward 80% of the time for the next 2 seasons or so. I'm not really sold on his defense at the 3, but if he keeps working on it in practice he will get to the required level.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Beasley barely took 3PT shots last season. He took 81 total 3s in 81 games last season. 1 shot per game.
    Never said Beasley took a lot of 3's; just said I hope he takes less. You have to realize being a PF, Beasley needs to be closer to the basket for rebounding. A lot of times last season, we were outrebounded and that limited our chances for offensive rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone
    Never said Beasley took a lot of 3's; just said I hope he takes less. You have to realize being a PF, Beasley needs to be closer to the basket for rebounding. A lot of times last season, we were outrebounded and that limited our chances for offensive rebounds.

Some one should inform Dirk about that.

Beasley has definitely looked more comfortable at the four defensively this season. However offensively he can play the 3/4.
    Yesterday at Denver he was scoring against Melo and K-Mart.

He is such a smoothe offensive player - he will be a 23+ ppg player next season.

What does it matter if he plays PF or SF, he clearly is turning into a scrub.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20

Thats your opinion & i disagree.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20

wow.. such hate man..

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Leoshes
    Thats your opinion & i disagree.
    I said turning, he isnt one yet. I still think he will turn out to be one of the better PF/SFs in the league... eventually... but he has definately gotten close to flatlining in Miami.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

He is an interesting topic , and most ISH posters look at him or view him with his off court issues.
    he is young and with little college direction , is learning through the NBA.

I actually see him as a PF , and as past posters stated in this thread - he is dynamic (some call him a tweener)

There's a color commentator on TNT that played for the 6'ers , Suns and Rockets - yep Charles Barkley.

If I would be the Heat coaching staff, I'd find ever freakin' film of Sir Charles and have Beas watch until he shaves his head or forgets about the braids

When he was drafted I stated and continue to believe he will have a long career and his career totals will be a double double .

High School Varsity 6th Man entropy35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    When he was drafted I stated and continue to believe he will have a long career and his career totals will be a double double .
    I see him as more of a scorer, like a melo of the PF position. I also though he would get at least 10 rebounds a game coming out of college but i think it may only happen in his prime for like 2-3 years. I can see him averaging 25/8 if he doesn't play behind a superstar.

The guy has one of the smoothest jumpers, so aesthetically beautiful.