Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Default Re: Breaking News: R.I.P Sonics

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    OKC RAIDERS

Please No, I'm an Oakland Raiders fan......lol

Default Re: Sonics will move to OKC for 2008-09 season. Sonics name stays with Seattle

whatever team name that could possibly be associated with okc will indubitably be much worse than the supersonics. this alone should have persuaded those idiots to stay in seattle

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Sonics will move to OKC for 2008-09 season. Sonics name stays with Seattle

According to KJR (sports radio talk) here in Seattle; Seattle is the only major sports team in recent history that won a champion and then left the city.

Shame on you, NBA.

ISH Jump Crew

Rip

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: man, f**k david stern

$45 millions, egh? The city can blow that in 2 months for some dog poop trainning park.

Banned

Default Re: man, f**k david stern

sonics definitely gave seattle a nice finale game

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

The deepest darkest sewer pit in hell is reserved for Clay Bennett, David Stern and Seattle Mayor Greg Nichols for selling out to these Oklahoma scum bags.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Can someone photoshop David Stern's head onto this pic?

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSwift31
    The sonics have always had a bad lease on the Key Arena with Seattle. Howard Schultz, former owner, was losing too much money, and sold the team to Clay Bennett and a group from OKC. Clay promised to make a "good faith" effort to keep the team in Seattle. This "Good Faith" Effort consisted of complaining about the lease, getting Stern to deem the Key Arena unsuited to play basketball in, and propose a 100% Publicly funded arena in Renton, WA (South of Seattle). Seeing that this arena would cost $500 million, and not one cent would come from Bennett, it was shot down in the vote. To Bennett, this meant that Seattle wanted no part of the NBA. However, he still had a lease with Seattle until 2011 to use the Key Arena (From old ownership). Realizing the outrage that would come up if the city did nothing, the city sued Bennett for trying to break the lease early, trying to keep the team in Seattle for two more seasons (This trial). Today, the two sides settled out of court.

Howard Schultz also realized that Bennett never had any intention of keeping the Sonics in Seattle. He is now suing for Breach of contract, hoping to get the team back. This trial will probably start at the end of the summer (rough guess).
    That's all well and true...but, let's not forget earlier in the decade, the city of Seattle and the state of Washington spent about $1 billion building new stadiums for the Mariners and Seahawks, as well as pouring in millions more years eariler in rebuilding what eventually became KeyArena. In that alone, I can't blame the folks in Washington state and the Seattle area for having to foot the bill for another new or rebuilt sports facility.

It's going to be different for sure not having Seattle as a NBA city. At least Bennett and his goons had what little decency to leave the history, name, and colors where they belong.
    Last edited by ShawnieMac06; 07-03-2008 at 11:59 AM.

The conclusion reached unfortunately is the one nobody really wanted except the business heads

I've never followed Seattle much since watching the NBA, though I loved watching Ray and Rashard playing together, especially that playoff year a few seasons ago. Obviously they have a lot more pedigree and history than that but I've only been watching the NBA for about 6 years now, but its so sad its come to this.

I feel awful for the Sonic fans and I hope you get an expansion team as early as possible if thats any consolation, which it probably isn't.

ISH Jump Crew

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Leon Smith
    Can someone photoshop David Stern's head onto this pic?

Its a little rough...but I tried :)

edit - put in a new one, just a tiny bit different, blurred his hair a little more to match.
    Last edited by Kumo; 07-03-2008 at 03:03 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Hey Rainer Beach Pilot if Seattle gets an expansion team would you watch them? I remember you saying a while ago that you would never support another team coming to Seattle.

well any sonic fan for that matter
    Last edited by Darius07; 07-03-2008 at 04:45 AM.

ISH Jump Crew

Changed it again...put a filter on, so his face looks a lot more fitting. I think this ones better..not as recognizable though.

I rule the local playground RobertSwift31's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnieMac06
    That's all well and true...but, let's not earlier in the decade, the city and the state of Washington spent about $1 billion building next stadiums for the Mariners and Seahawks, as well as pouring in millions more years eariler in rebuilding what eventually became KeyArena. In that alone, I can't blame the folks in Washington state and the Seattle area for having to foot the bill for another new or rebuilt sports facility.
    I completely agree. Thats why I called Bennett's $500 million dollar, publicly funded arena a "good faith" effort which actually was just an excuse for him to get out of town. He knew that the proposal would be rejected, giving him a reason to leave. I'm not blaming the public for rejecting the offer, I'm mad at him for making an unreasonable offer.

Another amazing thing about all of this is that the league (Stern) said Key Arena was not suitable for an NBA team, and Bennet said renovating it would not be an option. Now that the team is gone, All we need to do is renovate Key Arena to get back on the NBA's radar. Stern said that the NBA could thrive in a renovated Key Arena, for just $75 Million public dollars (Still a lot, but reasonable). Why didn't you give us that option before you took our team, *******?

i just imagined my hometown football team moving away (yeah i know, they don't do such stuff in europe), and guys, i do feel for you, honestly.

a sad, sad day for the sonics fanbase. their finals with jordan bulls were one of first playoff series i ever watched, and i always rooted for the underdog.