Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Breaking News: Kyrie Irving out 4 weeks

I've been worried about Irving's play style frankly. I think this might contribute a lot to him getting injured in the future. I hope not...

He's a great shooter and awesomely crafty at getting to the basket and making a shot. The problem is his body isn't built for that sort of punishment. I see him go up and take contact from guys that are almost a foot taller than him and have 50+ pounds on him and he makes the shot. It's astounding. The issue is that he's not built like a LeBron James or even close to that.

I hope he's not injury plagued But he's going to miss 10+ games now this season after missing a decent amount in last year's shortened season. I'm not sure tanking is worth it in this draft if that's what they're trying to do. We'll see though...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I've been worried about Irving's play style frankly. I think this might contribute a lot to him getting injured in the future. I hope not...

He's a great shooter and awesomely crafty at getting to the basket and making a shot. The problem is his body isn't built for that sort of punishment. I see him go up and take contact from guys that are almost a foot taller than him and have 50+ pounds on him and he makes the shot. It's astounding. The issue is that he's not built like a LeBron James or even close to that.

I hope he's not injury plagued But he's going to miss 10+ games now this season after missing a decent amount in last year's shortened season. I'm not sure tanking is worth it in this draft if that's what they're trying to do. We'll see though...
    The season is over pray for shabazz and never forget anderson varejo because that nikka will be traded soon enough

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Play through it?

There's going to come a time when he needs to play through shit like this if he wants to win anything....but that time isn't now.

As far as I'm concerned if they can go 4 weeks without him and rack up a decent amount of losses to get a good pick then they're better off for it. If Waiters can develop during that time, better yet.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Play through it?

There's going to come a time when he needs to play through shit like this if he wants to win anything....but that time isn't now.

As far as I'm concerned if they can go 4 weeks without him and rack up a decent amount of losses to get a good pick then they're better off for it. If Waiters can develop during that time, better yet.
    Pretty much how I feel. Yes, eventually I'd like to see the kid play through these kinds of injuries, but now is certainly not that time. And, I'm guessing this is a decision that was made by the coaches and doctors and not Kyrie, since he played one game following the injury.

If I had to guess, and I say this having watched Kyrie in every game he's played as a professional, they took a look at his performance and didn't like what they saw (his worst game in some time).

And, I agree with that decision if it was made by management. Absolutely no reason to risk re-injuring the hand before it fully heals when this team isn't going to be very good either way.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

So, he had:

*mild turf toe with no recurrence
    *concussion with no recurrence
    *mild shoulder injury with no recurrence
    *a couple of finger injuries and we'll see how he recovers

To me, that doesn't equate to injury prone. That equates to playing for an extremely cautious franchise still in the infancy of a re-build and protecting its franchise player at all costs. His first serious injury will be the day I begin to worry. This isn't it.

My two cents.
    Very glass half full.
    There is no doubt he is has had many fragile injuries in his young career.
    The broken hand this offseason deserves a place on that list, it needed surgery and put him out 8 weeks.
    Seems he gets injured very easily, and something needs to change before its a serious one.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Very glass half full.
    There is no doubt he is has had many fragile injuries in his young career.
    The broken hand this offseason deserves a place on that list, it needed surgery and put him out 8 weeks.
    Seems he gets injured very easily, and something needs to change before its a serious one.
    No knee, no back, no foot problems. I could care less about other freak injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    No knee, no back, no foot problems. I could care less about other freak injuries.
    He missed most of his college season with a damaged tendon in his foot, that required a cast. It was a significant injury.

He missed most of his college season with a damaged tendon in his foot, that required a cast. It was a significant injury.
    ..his most significant injury to date and it has had no recurrence. If these last couple setbacks were anything other than hand/finger injuries, I would be much more worried. I'm just not going to freak out about such minor bumps and bruises.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    ..his most significant injury to date and it has had no recurrence. If these last couple setbacks were anything other than hand/finger injuries, I would be much more worried. I'm just not going to freak out about such minor bumps and bruises.
    I was correcting noob cake, who stated he had no foot injuries.

I was correcting noob cake, who stated he had no foot injuries.
    Yeah, I know. I was just commenting on the injury. It hasn't been an issue since his days at Duke.

Very disappointing to see Kyrie lose a month of the season. I still expect huge things out of him this season.