Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I am obsessed with demonizing Kobe

Last season:

Wade - 10.7 FTA's while relentlessly attacking the rim.

Kobe - 10.4 FTA's while taking a lot of his shots from the perimeter because he was scared to attack the rim as much as Wade.

How is it even that close? Kobe = biggest beneficiary of the refs this century.

When you can elbow players in the face and have them be called for a foul, you know you're in a whole different level of conspiracy.....

When you can play defense while elbowing/hacking and grabbing the player all the time while not being called for anything, you're in a whole different level of conspiracy.....
    Last edited by AKA AAP; 12-02-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Wade attacks the rim like no other player in the league right now and that is why he gets the calls. If Stern wanted to give a star a championship to a star to increase popularity or something it would be Lebron because he is more internationally known and the "chosen one".

Dunking on everybody in the park the even bigger black guy's Avatar

AAP - Wade would be nothing without his FTs. They define him. Kobe, without FTs, would have still put up 40 on the best team (record wise) in the league in 3 quarters, and the Lakers would have still gotten the W.

Take away Wade's FTs and he is mediocre

College superstar

When you can elbow players in the face and have them be called for a foul, you know you're in a whole different level of conspiracy....
    Exactly, or elbow them in the chest, throat, doesn't matter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8nI1PPYOk

I don't think it bothers Wade that this is the perception of him by some of his peers. I still remember his episode with Kobe the last xmas game when Kobe told him to stop crying and play then in his halftime interview Wade was all animated talking bout "They keep calling stuff on me, Kobe ain't invincible, he do stuff too!" Had me cracking up.

And yes, Wade does get the worse calls ever. In fact, I may just buy the Heat Championship DVD to see what they put on it when it gets to the chapter about the finals. Almost no memorable plays happened from the Heat; no Jordan switching from the dunk to the lefty layup in midair, or shrugging his shoulders after hitting I believe his 5th 3, Kobe to Shaq alleyoop vs the Blazers-type plays that most playoff series have that you just immediately identify with the series. All it is is was was tons of this, in fact this is what they should put on the cover

National High School Star gpfanz's Avatar

Exclamation

Take away Wade's FTs and he is mediocre
    So Shaq getting forced into shooting free throws when being hacked means hes mediocre???

I rule the local playground

I was one of the most "quit crying" to bitter Mavs fans people out there, and I still think Wade's the sh*t........but how the hell is that a foul on Dirk?? Really. At that stage of the game?? That's absurd.

Dunking on everybody in the park the even bigger black guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gpfanz
    So Shaq getting forced into shooting free throws when being hacked means hes mediocre???
    Shaq was special outside his FT shooting. Shaq also didn't score very many points from the stripe. Wade earns a third of his points at the line. It's pathetic. Every other player in the league can see what a joke it is. Only groupies like AAP ignore it.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    I don't think it bothers Wade that this is the perception of him by some of his peers. I still remember his episode with Kobe the last xmas game when Kobe told him to stop crying and play then in his halftime interview Wade was all animated talking bout "They keep calling stuff on me, Kobe ain't invincible, he do stuff too!" Had me cracking up.
    Yeah, I remember that. Was that the game where Wade threw an elbow into Kobe's chest? Or was the the X-Mas the year before? I do remember Kobe telling him to quite crying. And then in a fit of bad grammar, Wade let his feelings be known at the halftime interview.

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    Almost no memorable plays happened from the Heat
    Gary Payton's extremely lucky left handed floater from about 10 feet? That's probably the most memorable.

Samurai Swoosh

I mean, if I was D. Wade ... I'd want these calls to stop. It's destroying his rep with his peers. And that is the most important form of respect. If they see it as a joke, why would you want it to continue, or even go on record as saying you "hope it continues". We know Wade drives relentlessly to the hoop, but that doesn't excuse the excessive amount of calls he gets, and more importantly what they are called for. Watch the game in context, he isn't getting beat up like Jordan was driving to the hoop, when players were grabbing his feat, holding his hip, and things of that nature. Wade rarely truly gets fouled when driving to the bucket. The things he gets called for, would be laughed at if they were called in a pick up game. I really don't see other players begging for calls to be successful. Melo, VC, Pierce, McGrady, Iverson, they all just drive to score. Not to GET foul calls. If you play the game hard, the fouls will come. You don't go searching to get calls. It's a ba way to play.

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    I mean, if I was D. Wade ... I'd want these calls to stop. It's destroying his rep with his peers. And that is the most important form of respect. If they see it as a joke, why would you want it to continue, or even go on record as saying you "hope it continues". We know Wade drives relentlessly to the hoop, but that doesn't excuse the excessive amount of calls he gets, and more importantly what they are called for. Watch the game in context, he isn't getting beat up like Jordan was driving to the hoop, when players were grabbing his feat, holding his hip, and things of that nature. Wade rarely truly gets fouled when driving to the bucket. The things he gets called for, would be laughed at if they were called in a pick up game. I really don't see other players begging for calls to be successful. Melo, VC, Pierce, McGrady, Iverson, they all just drive to score. Not to GET foul calls. If you play the game hard, the fouls will come. You don't go searching to get calls. It's a ba way to play.
    And I think thats what irks people about his game. That sometimes it seems like he's not playing to score but to get fouled, and to get fouled ONLY. Hence the egregious pump fakes, flopping, and self initiated contact. It used to annoy me about Reggie Miller how he'd leap into people like Carl Lewis at the longjump and get a foul called, like he wasnt even looking for the score, and its the same with Wade. I like his game but the forced theatrics need to stop.

Local High School Star

although a very good player, wade is overrated, in my opinion.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Knock Wades FTs down 1 or 2 and hes far far faaaar from mediocre. Hes a HOF level player and getting an extra pair of FTs more isnt the difference between average and legend.

People really need some perspective. He takes less than one FT a game more than #2. 3 players are over 10 and within a FT of him. You know how little it takes for a guy who drives to the basket as often as he does to get 1ft more than others given 40 minutes a game to do it? There is like a .3 second call that most of the time is actually a foul between Wades FT attempts and the other top 4.

Way people act its as if he takes 19 a game and the other stars take 6. He doesnt even make the most FTs per game. Allen Iverson does by a small margin. **** because of percentages they shoot he only makes one more FT a game than Michael Redd.

That one extra FT he makes a game is not why Wade looks good. Just the recent thing to ***** about and overblow. He gets fouled on like 6 shots a game and other top guards(who for the most part drive less) get fouled on 5 to 5 and a half. Oh what a mockery of justice....
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 12-02-2006 at 04:05 PM.

I believe most complaints are about the types of calls he gets, his flopping, and his wincing-i-broke-all-my-ribs-oh-i-guess-i'm-ok-hop-right-up bit. His FT's compared to other top guards are obviously similar.

Its not strictly about the number of freethrows its also to do with the impact it has on the way in which he is guarded. I think someone mentioned in another thread that whenever wade takes a jumpshot he is completely open. That is because players are worried about getting called for a tivky tacky call against them. No doubt he is relentless in driving to the hoop, but as far as i have seen he gets the benefit of the doubt more than any player in the league. All superstars get the borderline calls but with wade more than othes.

It's not just number of free throws, it's number of shots. Last year Wade took far fewer shots than the other leading scorers and got the most or second most free throws. His FG% is also coming back down to earth without Shaq. Another game tonight where Wade gets less than 15 FT attempts and his numbers are less than stellar.