Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Default Re: Jordan Says Only 4 Current Player Could Play in His Era

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Where's Carmelo Anthony?

Melo is better than Glenn Rice, Chris Mullins, Steve Smith, and a better playoffs performer than Pistons Grant Hill.

He's a top 5 player in the NBA this season.
    Obviously more than 4 ****ing players could play in the old NBA (even bitchass wade). Jordan is trolling as usual. It's lonely at the top

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Demolished by Durant, so weak he probably couldnt do 10 pushups? Put the hand check back in play and Durant would be even more turnover prone and wouldn't be getting free passes to the line all game. It would be much tougher for him to get clean looks. I think he would be the guy most aversely affected by the old rules.
    Why wouldn't he be getting free looks? Bodybuilder Reggie Miller had a ton of them. Handcheck was primarily for post up players.

Below is a clip of the Championship Bull team guarding Chris Mullin. The Bulls were the best perimeter defending teams and Pippen is considered one of the best perimeter defenders. Please count the times, hand-checking comes into play or when a perimeter player is pushed up on. Notice the space Mullin has to deal with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHg736-JiWQ

And you think Durant would have a hard time?

Jordan used to get hammered routinely because nobody could stop him which is why he got into weightlifting. No way could Durant take that pounding and maintain his current production.
    Durant is a perimeter player like Gervin. Mullin and Reggie Miller weren't getting beat up. Durant shot is not only faster, harder to block but he is vastly better off of the dribble.
    Lebron would be Lebron in any era, but he would have a tougher time against Pippen/Rodman than he has against anyone he faces now. And don't forget Xman who could also probably defend him better than anyone today.
    By the 90's Xman wasn't taking the tougher cover anymore - his injuries had settled in. Anthony Mason was the defensive stopper on the Knicks and he probably was one of the best defenders around for like three years he was really good. Rodman I say would be Lebrons toughest cover. He never faced somebody like Lebron. Rodman's Achilles heel? Guess what? The only time Rodman had to guard a 6-8 quick fast player? I recall him getting lit up with frequency. Worthy when healthy and playing above 25 minutes averaged significantly above his regular season average on Rodman and the same applies in the post season.

Rodman the best man on defender in the 90's. Its only the last play that he's guarding Jordan close. Hand checking begins below the foul line. Notice the distance he gives Jordan at 20-16 feet. Most players now hit the 18 footer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ZlHwMstDc

Pippen had real problems with Nique and Hill and never dealt with anybody who has the speed, quickness and power of James. Nobody has.

Iggy, Deng, Allen, Battier, Wade, Prince, Lebron and Sefalosha are all exceptional defenders.

K Leonard, Gerald Wallace, Paul George, Matt Barnes are all very good defenders. Definitely would play Mullin better than Pippen does in that video above. Its a bit unfair, as it is one game but thats how I recall defense on the regular back then on the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Didn't Jordan say something about Durant "is coming" when Ahmad asked him about KD? I don't know, that makes it sound like Durant would be good enough to play in his era. Granted, there's obviously more than those 4 from this era that could've played and been very good players in the 80's and 90's.

But I don't think he meant for it to be taken that way anyway.
    He was clearly talking about players who have won championship, whether they would be as successful, but people are just going by the OP's title. Obviously Durant could play in any era.

Local High School Star LakersForlife's Avatar

if lebron,kobe,durant,wade,shaq,paul,melo played in jordans era.jordan wouldnt win 6 titles.he will get 1 or 2 titles

Quote Originally Posted by LakersForlife
    if lebron,kobe,durant,wade,shaq,paul,melo played in jordans era.jordan wouldnt win 6 titles.he will get 1 or 2 titles

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    rofl maybe not. and in the nba today got better midrange shooters its almost automatic.not in the 80 - mid 90s where defenders will sag off their man

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    renowned talent judge Michael Jordan
    oh yah its the same dude who drafted kwame ass

I disappointed with this MJ statement.. He's obviously lying..

I thought he will only choose Kobe.. I know Jordan was just being generous here but deep inside of him, he believes that only Kobe can play and dominate in his era.. I understand him for lying cos people may think he's just being biased if he only choose Kobe because we know Jordan is one of the biggest if not the biggest Kobe fans in the world..

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I had Richmond on my other list in my post I cut this from (Lebron in the 1990's). Cut and paste missed him. Jordan often said he was the best wing player of that generation.
    That probably is not far away from the truth. I remember I've seen the guy post up on Shaq and score over him. He was such a beast, shame he got stuck on crappy teams.

Dunking on everybody in the park

NBA lottery pick

They asked him which players would be AS successful in his era and he listed four of the six or seven best players of the last 15 years. It really is a totally uncomplicated and simple statement. It

[QUOTE=R.I.P.]They asked him which players would be AS successful in his era and he listed four of the six or seven best players of the last 15 years. It really is a totally uncomplicated and simple statement. It

Quote Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
    Guys like James Harden would be putting up 30+ if they played in the 90's.
    Is this a joke? James Harden is the definition of manufactured star. Dude scores 33% of his points on FTs. That's right. One of every third points he scores is a free throw.

You think dude is getting those kind of calls in the 80's/90's?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Why wouldn't he be getting free looks? Bodybuilder Reggie Miller had a ton of them. Handcheck was primarily for post up players.

You have got to be kidding with this comparison. Miller was a runner. Durant isn't.

When asked about Bruce Bowen's defense and how he handled it Miller said, "he can't hold what he can't catch".

Durant is so tall that he can receive the ball any time even when guarded. He is not running around all the time to get open like Miller or more recently Rip Hamilton.

Straight from the ESPN scouting report on Durant:

Scouting report
    + Tall, long-armed scoring prodigy with unblockable release. Deadly in transition.
    + Great foul shooter. Lacks strength. Struggles to get open against physical D.
    + Good handle and improved passer. Length an asset on defense and boards.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/playe...2/kevin-durant

If he struggles to get open now what would happen when more contact is allowed.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

MJ was refering to impact in and onto the league ....

many players could play at a high level , such as Griffin , CP3 , D-Will , and others ,, even Moute'

The bottom line is that any discussions in or affecting Jordan , is based on a guy that thought no one was better than him.

All I can say is that MJ has ton's of money and hope the dude still whip's his a$$