Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Default So, will Kentucky dominate college ball for the foreseeable future?

I don't really follow college basketball (or college sports at all, really) but with several high picks in recent years, are "1 and done" college players going to go to Kentucky knowing they're likely to be able to get drafted high? Or will players make decisions based on other factors?

I rule the local playground ukfan22's Avatar

Default Re: So, will Kentucky dominate college ball for the foreseeable future?

Well, Cal's been here 3 years. I'd bet he stays for around 10 years total, and leaves with 3 titles (including this year).

You won't see a truly dominant team like 2011-12 every year, more like every other year.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    I don't really follow college basketball (or college sports at all, really) but with several high picks in recent years, are "1 and done" college players going to go to Kentucky knowing they're likely to be able to get drafted high? Or will players make decisions based on other factors?
    No, Kentucky won't dominate college basketball every year.

What they had this season was a great team that probably won't ever be stacked like that until their 2013-2014 team. Last year they had 3 of the Top 10 freshman, including 2 of the Top 5 in Davis & Gilchrist along with players such as Lamb & Jones who could've been 1st Round picks the previous year.

But Calipari has definetly set up a stream of top recruits who are going to head to Kentucky for 1-2 years, play in front of a crowd larger than NBA arenas, on TV every game, & getting NBA exposure.

Of course not.

They will consistently be around a Sweet 16-contender level depending on what they can haul in recruiting. But let's not act like UK gets every top recruit, nor that every top recruit they get will end up being John Wall or Anthony Davis every year. And that Sweet 16-contender level every year isn't only held by UK. You could argue UNC and Kansas are right there every year as well. Maybe even Duke if they weren't incredibly overrated every year.

Also, lest we forget that the college game has something called the NCAA Tournament. The best team doesn't win it all the time. Not that UK will be the best team every year... In fact, last year was the only year where you could say UK had the best team throughout the season. Maybe, you could argue the Wall-Cousins team, but I remember most people favoring Kansas on top going into the tournament. And neither of those teams even made the Final Four.

Last year they actually had one of their potential one and done's stay for his soph year (Jones) which greatly helped. Is that the first time that has happened since Cal has been there? If he leaves, UK isn't cutting down the nets, imo. What happens? Millers moves to the starting lineup and they are forced to actually use their depth? That team went 6 deep.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Of course not.

They will consistently be around a Sweet 16-contender level depending on what they can haul in recruiting. But let's not act like UK gets every top recruit, nor that every top recruit they get will end up being John Wall or Anthony Davis every year. And that Sweet 16-contender level every year isn't only held by UK. You could argue UNC and Kansas are right there every year as well. Maybe even Duke if they weren't incredibly overrated every year.

Also, lest we forget that the college game has something called the NCAA Tournament. The best team doesn't win it all the time. Not that UK will be the best team every year... In fact, last year was the only year where you could say UK had the best team throughout the season. Maybe, you could argue the Wall-Cousins team, but I remember most people favoring Kansas on top going into the tournament. And neither of those teams even made the Final Four.

Last year they actually had one of their potential one and done's stay for his soph year (Jones) which greatly helped. Is that the first time that has happened since Cal has been there? If he leaves, UK isn't cutting down the nets, imo. What happens? Millers moves to the starting lineup and they are forced to actually use their depth? That team went 6 deep.
    that guy in your avatar will be cutting down some nets in UK blue

Nope. They won't always have the mix of upperclassman experience and lower classman talent they had last year. Plus, there's no AD clogging up the lane. b I'm betting UK's '12 squad will be the best Cal will ever field. Next years team doesn't look all that scary.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    Of course not.

I agree with this, for the most part. I think you're selling Kentucky (and UNC and Kansas) a little short saying they're a Sweet 16 contender every year. Teams like Ohio State, Syracuse, and Michigan State are Sweet 16 contenders most years. UNC, Knetucky, and Kansas are Elite 8/Final 4 threats almost every season.

As for the OP, I don't know if they'll dominate, but they'll come close as long as the one-and-done rule is in place and Calipari is their head coach. UNC is the only other team that consistently comes close to recruiting on their level, and even then Roy Williams doesn't recruit sure fire one-and-dones to the extent Calipari does. Williams seems to have a recruiting pattern where every other 2-3 years he attempts to load up with five stars, and fills the other recruiting classes in with foundation and 2+ year four stars.

Good is a better word than dominant

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    that guy in your avatar will be cutting down some nets in UK blue
    Why so passive aggressive?

I wouldn't doubt it since, from everything I have heard, it's down between Florida State and Kentucky. Florida State just seems out of place, even if his parents went there and he and his family are real right with Coach Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I agree with this, for the most part. I think you're selling Kentucky (and UNC and Kansas) a little short saying they're a Sweet 16 contender every year. Teams like Ohio State, Syracuse, and Michigan State are Sweet 16 contenders most years. UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas are Elite 8/Final 4 threats almost every season.
    Almost every season, sure. Every season which is what I was getting after.

A F4 contender every year is, imo, a legitimate National Championship contender every year.

UNC (with Roy): 2005, 2008, 2009, and 2012 were his possible championship years. That's 4 of his 9 seasons as the Tar Heels head coach.

KU (with Self): 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 were his possible championship years. That's also 4 of the 9 years. And frankly, I didn't think last year was a possible year until they found themselves in the National Championship game.

UK (with Cal): 2010, 2011, and 2012 were his possible championship years. That's all 3 of his years so he could technically be in that F4 threat every year conversation. Although you have to take it with a grain of salt when you are comparing 3 years to 9 years for the other two coaches, considering how quickly the landscape in college basketball can, and often does, change.

And let's do Duke in the last 9 years just because they are often thrown in the top tier group.

DU (with K - last 9 seasons): 2004, 2006, 2010 were his possible championship years. You could argue 2011 if Irving didn't get injured. But you could also do something similar for other teams, so we won't.

So most of the team didn't even reach half, unless you disagree with me on the potential championship years. IMO, that's not a high enough percentage to put them in a consistent Final Four team year in and year out.

Also, Syracuse does not belong in the Izzo and Matta group...

No, they haven't even been dominating it lately. one championship is not "dominating".

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Didn't Calipari say a year or two ago that he didn't plan on coaching for more than 10 more years? I remember reading it in an ESPN article.

And anyways, he thinks his shit doesn't stink but something will catch up to him eventually during his time at UK. We've seen it happen at UMASS and Memphis. But thats the nature of the beast. Dealing with all of these 5 star guys, especially at the volume he does, will eventually get you in trouble with the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    Didn't Calipari say a year or two ago that he didn't plan on coaching for more than 10 more years? I remember reading it in an ESPN article.

And anyways, he thinks his shit doesn't stink but something will catch up to him eventually during his time at UK. We've seen it happen at UMASS and Memphis. But thats the nature of the beast. Dealing with all of these 5 star guys, especially at the volume he does, will eventually get you in trouble with the NCAA.
    lol, a UConn fan talking shit about NCAA problems

dont be so obnoxious

everyone has a right to their opinion, regardless of what the program they follows, does

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Yup, buying a plane ticket illegally, texting a few too many times, and being retroactively punished for poor academic performance sure is the sign of a dirty program. You can find dirt on any program that competes at a high level in the NCAA, from UConn to UNC to UK to Indiana. Wherever whenever.

My favorite part of this post was when you defended Calipari.

Even UK homers like you know the NCAA will have your ass in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
    Yup, buying a plane ticket illegally, texting a few too many times, and being retroactively punished for poor academic performance sure is the sign of a dirty program. You can find dirt on any program that competes at a high level in the NCAA, from UConn to UNC to UK to Indiana. Wherever whenever.

My favorite part of this post was when you defended Calipari.

Even UK homers like you know the NCAA will have your ass in a few years.
    i remember rolling my eyes at this when i heard it. so the uconn team has bad enough grades to be punished but not UK? yeah, not believing it. But i get it, uconn is a legitimate university while UK is not. UK will give the basketball team the grades they need to play.