Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: The Return of Amar'e Stoudemire

He's looked really good lately. It will be interesting to see what type of role he helps this team the most in.

Start him already, please.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    Start him already, please.
    Are you worried about the spacing with Amare, Melo and Chandler all on the floor together?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Wilbon
    Are you worried about the spacing with Amare, Melo and Chandler all on the floor together?
    hmmmm

no.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Wilbon

No. I think it's overrated. Amare moves off the ball. He doesn't need the ball on the block, tho it's important that he has added it to his game.

I'd rather Felton go to the bench and have Shumpert slashing from the SG position, alongside Jason Kidd.

And in the end, if it doesn't work, then he has to be moved...we're not keeping Amare for him to be a 6th man. It's useless.

No. I think it's overrated. Amare moves off the ball. He doesn't need the ball on the block, tho it's important that he has added it to his game.

I'd rather Felton go to the bench and have Shumpert slashing from the SG position, alongside Jason Kidd.

And in the end, if it doesn't work, then he has to be moved...we're not keeping Amare for him to be a 6th man. It's useless.

Wow, a whole month of proof, and you still think Kidd should start at pg? It wears him down.

Anyways Amare has to come off the bench at least now, because who would be the backup 4 or 5? Novak/ Kurt Thomas?

And when Melo is out, the ability of Amare to be featured and allow them to work from the inside out to their 3pt shooters is great. They still finish games together

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Kidd struggles when he doesn't have someone like Felton taking the defensive pressure off him, they play great together. I love the 4 backcourt players we have in Felton, Kidd, JR and Shump. The only pairing I can't see being that successful is Shump and Kidd, any other pairing works. Like I said, at this stage in his career he's a spot up shooter and needs a scorer like Felton or JR taking that pressure off, don't think Shump is that dude.

Local High School Star

Pau for Amare? yeah right

He's baaaaack

From what I've seen Amare can be an All Star maybe 1 or 2 more times.

He's scoring so easily & efficiently in only 24-26 minutes of play. IMO he could still put up 20/7.5 in 30-32 MPG , easily.

It's a shame he got injured, maybe it would be Amare going to the All Star game .. not Chandler if he never did.

Spacing for the Carmelo/chandler/amare front court is overrated- if you want a Carmelo not shooting free throws and shooting from 3 all the time.

It shouldn't be about asking your best player to adjust his game to those around him. It should be building around your best players strengths. Carmelo's strengths are that he is the best post up 3 of all time and a guy you want in the post and midrange game

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
    Wow, a whole month of proof, and you still think Kidd should start at pg? It wears him down.

Anyways Amare has to come off the bench at least now, because who would be the backup 4 or 5? Novak/ Kurt Thomas?

And when Melo is out, the ability of Amare to be featured and allow them to work from the inside out to their 3pt shooters is great. They still finish games together

I get all that, but I still would rather see it that way. I like Iman as the starting 2. He can do a lot of what Felton does, getting to the rim and breaking down the defense. He still isn't a good shooter tho.

In the end, maybe it's not great, but I don't want Shump at the 3, I don't want him off the bench, I don't see the real value in Amare off the bench. Maybe it works for the season, but I don't believe that.

I could accept Shump playing off the bench tho and Smith starting...not that I want to see it like that, but I can handle that. Smith could work in the starting lineup, and he works well with Kidd.

Quote Originally Posted by el gringos
    Spacing for the Carmelo/chandler/amare front court is overrated- if you want a Carmelo not shooting free throws and shooting from 3 all the time.

It shouldn't be about asking your best player to adjust his game to those around him. It should be building around your best players strengths. Carmelo's strengths are that he is the best post up 3 of all time and a guy you want in the post and midrange game

That's fine...but while Amare is here, we should max him. What's overrated is the idea they can't play together. It may not even be ideal, but it's optimal, given our options.

You can't get the most out of your 3 max money players Amare, Melo, Chandler if you start all 3. Yeah, they can play together, but that puts one of them totally out of their comfort zone or limits their production.

If you play them all nearly equal minutes throughout the game, then either Melo is floating around the 3pt line while Felton/Chandler are in the PNR, and Amare occupies the midpost; Chandler is clogging up the lane while Melo is in the midpost and Amare is in the pick and roll; or Amare is a spot up long range 2pt shooter while the others are in their spots.

With Amare off the bench, Chandler can get every single pick and roll opportunity he's been getting all year long, and Melo is featured inside, and the court is spread. Furthermore, you should have better defense on the floor, because Melo has been if anything a strength defending the 4 spot and making his rotations...possibly been their most consistent defender all year, plus Kidd and Shumpert get to stay on the floor defensively next to Felton.

While Amare can be featured in the pick and roll once he subs in for Tyson, and then get his one on one opportunities when Melo sits to start the 2nd, as well as featured in the PnR. In other words, truly being maximized, and stabilizing the offense while Melo is out is a big deal. Carmelo is playing 40 minutes everytime there's a close game, because he has to anchor the offense. Now I can officially say that Amare can be featured and allow Melo to rest going into the 4th quarter of these games, or at least play more off the ball and float around the 3pt line while Amare goes to work. Amare looks completely back and is actually drawing double coverage due to his post game and making the right passes out of it. And I have no doubt in my mind if he were given his normal allotment of shots could be a 20+ppg scorer again.

When the close games together, Carmelo usually has the ball in his hands more, so things can still flow. The spacing is fine if Carmelo has his hands on the ball working the pick and roll with either Amare or Tyson because he's not in the mid post. But it takes too much out of him and would limit Felton's effectiveness to have Carmelo run high pick and rolls all night...not to mention bang with pfs inside on the defensive end.

That's fine...but while Amare is here, we should max him. What's overrated is the idea they can't play together. It may not even be ideal, but it's optimal, given our options.
    Totally agree and I would hope the reason amare isn't starting right now is because Camby and Rasheed are out and you need to avoid using Kurt Thomas almost at all costs. Part of the reason I think shumpert should come off the bench is if you have shumpert and Kidd off the bench you should be able to avoid needing prigioni so much

I agree mostly with the not ideal part- but for the roster you have you still need amare badly

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar