Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Default Re: Is Chris Paul the most overrated player in NBA history?

Quote Originally Posted by jzek
    He had Laimbeer and Mahorn and Rodman though (not to mention Dumars and Vinnie). CP3 has DJ and Griffin and Turiaf. Doesn't exactly put fear in ppl's heart.
    That's not the case here. Wasn't Isiah the leader? He wasn't the second option and he led them to a title which renders that one statement unsubstantial

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Isiah Thomas?
    My point. I wasn't even born when he won. How often does it happen? He is just too small and with players/teams getting bigger & more athletic I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Teams can just swarm him and he is always stopped in a 7 game series. He needs to be the #2 guy.

The game has only sped up since the 80's...

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    The go to answers for recent years would be AI and Melo, but I think you can make a strong case for Bargs back when many Raptors fans thought he was one of the best players in the league and they could trade him for Pau straight up.
    How is Melo overrated ? All I read on this forum is how much he sucks. He's underrated if anything.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    My point. I wasn't even born when he won. How often does it happen? He is just too small and with players/teams getting bigger & more athletic I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Teams can just swarm him and he is always stopped in a 7 game series. He needs to be the #2 guy.

The game has only sped up since the 80's...
    It really depends on the team you put around him and the match up he faces in the playoffs. He could've replaced Chauncey Billups just fine on the Pistons and won a ring as the leader.

Or maybe on the 08-09 Blazers with a healthy Brandon Roy and Lamarcus Aldridge.

Put him on the current Pacers and he might be able to pull them pass the super team Heat. Keyword might.

I think he just created so much expectations for himself after that great season and then injury happened. Is he overrated? I think not. He can be pretty much as good as any point guard who's ever played the game.

No he's not, he's one of the best PG's to ever play the game. He basically has no real weaknesses and he's clearly more productive in the RS and the playoffs than any other PG. Criticizing him for his teams' lack of playoff success is dumb because he's played for 2 of the least successful franchises in history and he plays great in the playoffs.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    No he's not, he's one of the best PG's to ever play the game. He basically has no real weaknesses and he's clearly more productive in the RS and the playoffs than any other PG. Criticizing him for his teams' lack of playoff success is dumb because he's played for 2 of the least successful franchises in history and he plays great in the playoffs.
    No. CP3 is overrated. Bound to fail in the 1st round again.. He has a decent supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    How is Melo overrated ? All I read on this forum is how much he sucks. He's underrated if anything.
    This is actually somewhat true IMO. Nobody really talks about Melo being an elite player anymore.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

An elite scorer, playmaker, defender and only averages 2 turnovers a game. Oh yea he's definitely the most overrated player in NBA history.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    This is actually somewhat true IMO. Nobody really talks about Melo being an elite player anymore.
    Granted, this board doesn't do particularly well with varying degrees of anything. A player is one thing or he's the other and damned if there's any hint of being somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacquiao
    No. CP3 is overrated. Bound to fail in the 1st round again.. He has a decent supporting cast.
    Watch him in the playoffs
    He kicks some ass

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    Major knee injury = never the same.
    lost by 58 on his homecourt before the injury. dude was never a impact player when the chips are down, no takeover ability whatsoever

Local High School Star

CP3 - 4-16 from the FG

The difference is Chris Paul cannot take over games. He just doesn't have that offensive capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacquiao
    CP3 - 4-16 from the FG

The difference is Chris Paul cannot take over games. He just doesn't have that offensive capability.
    13 pts, 15 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 steals ...and that's a bad game for him.

Too bad he didn't have Duncan to bail him out like Parker does.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    13 pts, 15 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 steals ...and that's a bad game for him.

Too bad he didn't have Duncan to bail him out like Parker does.
    What an idiot.. He can't take over the game and torch his opponent because he doesn't have it. Keep overrating him.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    lost by 58 on his homecourt before the injury. dude was never a impact player when the chips are down, no takeover ability whatsoever

Like Westbrook, Curry, Rose and Parker they can take over a game and dominate offensively.

Chris Paul doesn't have it