Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Home of the 16

Lightbulb Have you ever been on fire?

Like for a day & no one could literally stop you from making all those shots. It happened to me twice. Once during a full court game & I was about 9 years old at that time, second time was when I was 13 playing full court with the grown ups. It was like something just triggered inside me & lit up. I would still miss shots, but I would make them 90% of the time. But then again, both were only for a day, & it never came back after that. The first time, I only played 1 game and went home afterwards, the second time, I probably played like 3 or 4 full court games & just lit the place up. It felt so surreal.

Tmac was talking about THE shooters mentality in one of the segments of "Open Court" & I had flashbacks back to when I experienced it when he was talking about Lebron catching on fire back in the '13 Finals. I think he said - "Once you're on fire, there's not a thing that can stop you." Sort of something along those lines.

It was so surreal. Haven't thought about those moments for a while until Tmac talked about it. I wonder if it's going to happen to me again. I mean, I'm not as good as I used to be, but it would be great if I get to experience it again in a league game or a pickup game at least.

Pretty amazing for it to happen to a person like me. I don't know why it did, I guess my brain was just comfortable with the grip? Fascinating.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Have you ever been on fire?

I had a summer league game in High School where I scored 53 points. It was just like that. Just seemingly couldn't miss even if I wanted to. I hit a three quarter court buzzer beater at the first quarter. Then a guy undercut me coming out at me on a three after a skip pass, and I wound up throwing it at the hoop with my head down and it banked in hard. After that it just felt like nothing would miss. I also got a shit ton of free throws though.

Earlier this summer

Big dude who looked like Terry Crews running his mouth all game. Wasn't very good but he was just so much bigger than they dude covering him so he got all the ****ing rebounds and shit. Miss a shot, rebound, miss a shot, rebound, then score, that type of guy. We lost the game.

Ran that shit back right fast. Game to 15.

I hit my first 3 top of the arc. Then another from the wing.

Whenever I hit two in a row, Im pulling up next play from 3 feet behind the line, IDGAF. I hit it. 3 in a row, nothing special for me to be honest. Score is 6 to something, I dont remember what they had but it was probably like 2. Im in the zone brahs. I rebound, Im not passing until I miss . From 5 feet behind the line... BANG. Score is 8-something. We get a stop and my boy scores a layup. 9-something.

They score, lets say 9-4. I bring the ball up, pull up and you guessed it...BANG! 11-4 and Im ****ing 5-5 from 3. Last few not no ****ing Mario Chalmers spot up 3's, these are straight Kobe/LeBron heat checks. Im feeling like a god.

Now the opposing team starts yelling at eachother to "play some ****ing D!". Dude guarding me is saying how Im pulling up from so far, that there's really nothing he can do.

Next play Im bringing the ball up and cross half court. I just sprint towards my right and hit a fading 3. Think of Kobe's gamewinner vs the Suns but from 3.

Im playing the best I've ever played in my life. BANG BANG. I seriously felt like LeBron ****ing James.

We got 13 points, they got something like 5 or 6. They miss a 3, I grab that ****ing rebound. Im in full out god mode and Im just thinking about pulling the biggest heat check of my life

I take a step inside half court and just pull up, why not Im ****ing 6-6 and scorching hot. Felt like I'm in some other world.

Well from one step inside half court, retarded ass shot, but BANGGGG. I hit it!

GAME. Terry Crews is real quiet. Now his teammates all start yelling at eachother. A couple of my boys was on they team, saying how "Tyler's a problem!" LMAO

Probably the best game of my life.

I scored 34 points in a basketball tournament last summer. I think I made 6 consecutive shots. ( 3 layups, 1 3 pointer, and 2 jump shots).

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

8 consecutive threes against some random scrubs we met at the gym. Next game we faced a team that were all 6'4'' and taller. Tallest guy on our team was 6'6''. Rest of us were 6'2'' and below. None of us played college ball but two dudes who were playing against us came from a former division 1 team and were 6'5''+. We lost like 11-2 and I got blocked 4 times lmao.

Love Live Life

Yeah man it's a great feeling. Like everything you throw up goes in.

Happened to me a few times, such a great feeling. Like there is nothing else in your mind, you just want the ball cause you know you're going to make the shot.

Those 30 feet 3's and helpless look on defenders face, especially when his teammates start flaming him for not being able to defend me...

I usually hit open layups

One of the best feelings in the world, man. I love it.

My shot is the best part of my game, those zones make you feel like you're on top of the world. In one game against my friend's team, he was talking all this trash and said I had no chance. He was guarding me, and I dropped 26 and hit 6 threes in his grill lol. We won too. Was awesome, had bragging rights for weeks.

Have also had many of those pickup games where people try dogging you, you know how it is. Trying to get in your head. Then you just go on a tear and light them up lol, making them shake their head and get mad and all that. I love that stuff, I know it's easy to roll your eyes at someone saying this on an internet forum but I legitimately play better under those circumstances. People often underestimate me because I'm short, but don't gimme that space and don't reach young blood.

Local High School Star

Yes, i've ever been on fire a few times. made 7 shots in a row in game (Every ball was passed to me), before rimming out the 8th shot

I've been on D fire where people don't even want the ball anymore. I never shot enough to really be on fire. I'd still push it and drive, do floaters, but I'd feel bad taking like 8 shots in a row.

Also, that time when the whole team gets on fire is cool, too, when you are just clicking. Back when I used to run at the University gym when I was a teenager, I had a couple of games like that where we beat teams we had no business beating because, for whatever reason, I just clicked with everyone.

-Smak

Homage to Al Thornton AI Thornton's Avatar

It truly is a great feeling. It usually starts after a steal/fast break that gets me pumped.

I made two shots in a row once.

Banned

In a scrimmage with my team, I hit like 5 threes in a row Felt ****ing awesome.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Hit 8 back to back threes in a pickup game. Most were contested. This was when I was 18 and was getting back into daily basketball pickup games.

When I scored a career high 38 points back in 2005.