Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Phil Jackson picks Bill Russell over MJ & basically says MJ or Kobe is a pick 'em

Jackson dodged when asked to select between Jordan and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant
    wonder why

Default Re: Phil Jackson picks Bill Russell over MJ & basically says MJ or Kobe is a pick 'em

Quote Originally Posted by tikay0
    Yeah, but when I think of Russell, I think of a crazy athletic specimen that's flying up and down the court, wreaking havoc.

In a way yes, Gasol can be compared to Russ, but aesthetically wise, Gasol is too lumbering for me to compare the 2.

What about a 200-300x better version of Kenneth Faried with much better offensive awareness?
    Maybe a Dwight-Noah-old Duncan hybrid (without Duncan's jumpshot) would be a nice Russell-lite? You get the athleticism/rebounding/interior presence (Dwight), versatility/passing/hustle (Noah) and intelligence/craftiness/will to win (Duncan).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Maybe a Dwight-Noah-old Duncan hybrid (without Duncan's jumpshot) would be a nice Russell-lite? You get the athleticism/rebounding/interior presence (Dwight), versatility/passing/hustle (Noah) and intelligence/craftiness/will to win (Duncan).
    Awesome comparison. Russell was indeed that dang good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Would Russell be like KG?

Both absurd defenders and can guard out to half court, great rebounder, great vocal leaders, great passing, and the weakest part of their overall games was scoring but they still did that at a high level.

They have the same body frames too.
    That's also a good comparison.

From the games I've seen of Russell, he's like Noah on steroids. Great defender, rebounder, team player, very quick for his size, surprising ball handler and amazing passer.

There's also a bit of KG, but without the midrange J and with more dominant defense. Less theatrics too.

One last comparison I would throw around is Duncan. Like Timmy, he's a superstar who cares about the little details that don't get noticed by casual fans but win championships, plays with his mind as much as with his body, and always moves with purpose on the court.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 05-24-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    That as well.

Love Live Life

I'm starting to think Phil is just talking out his arse. This nikka just saying crap now to get a buzz

College superstar

I love reading comments like this from people like Phil who actually have experience with both the "old" and more modern eras. He actually faced Russell at the end of Russell's career, and probably grew up as a fan of his. So to him, Russell is not some old guy who is only known by some stats on basketball reference.com. He saw Russell's genius and dominance and is in a great position to appreciate how great he truly was.

Also, much like Pippen, Phil Jackson has a relationship with MJ that fans don't understand. Phil wasn't a "fan" of MJ's. He was his coach. From Phil's perspective MJ is not some perfect basketball "god." He saw the flawed, losing MJ whom he had to teach to be more unselfish and trusting of his teammates. He remembers having to pull MJ aside in the 4th quarter of game 5 of the '91 Finals and tell him to pas to an open Paxson instead of trying to win it himself. He saw the player whom he had to help become a winner. So to Phil, it's not, "MJ is the clear GOAT. He is 6 for 6 in the Finals." as some fans like to say. To Phil, it's, "I helped him go 6 for 6 in the Finals. It's not just his greatness alone. He may not have been this successful if he hadn't learned to listen to me."
    Last edited by jlip; 05-24-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park chosen_wun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Would Russell be like KG?

Both absurd defenders and can guard out to half court, great rebounder, great vocal leaders, great passing, and the weakest part of their overall games was scoring but they still did that at a high level.

They have the same body frames too.
    Bill Russell was a terrible offensive player, just Garnett is adequate at that aspect.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    I love reading comments like this from people like Phil who actually have experience with both the "old" and more modern eras. He actually faced Russell at the end of Russell's career, and probably grew up as a fan of his. So to him, Russell is not some old guy who is only known by some stats on basketball reference.com. He saw Russell's genius and dominance and is in a great position to appreciate how great he truly was.

Also, much like Pippen, Phil Jackson has a relationship with MJ that fans don't understand. Phil wasn't not a "fan" of MJ's. He was his coach. From Phil's perspective MJ is not some perfect basketball "god." He saw the flawed, losing MJ whom he had to teach to be more unselfish and trusting of his teammates. He remembers having to pull MJ aside in the 4th quarter of game 5 of the '91 Finals and tell him to pas to an open Paxson instead of trying to win it himself. He saw the player whom he had to help become a winner. So to Phil, it's not, "MJ is the clear GOAT. He is 6 for 6 in the Finals." as some fans like to say. To Phil, it's, "I helped him go 6 for 6 in the Finals. It's not just his greatness alone. He may not have been this successful if he hadn't learned to listen to me."
    Great insight.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip

Also, much like Pippen, Phil Jackson has a relationship with MJ that fans don't understand. Phil wasn't not a "fan" of MJ's. He was his coach. From Phil's perspective MJ is not some perfect basketball "god." He saw the flawed, losing MJ whom he had to teach to be more unselfish and trusting of his teammates. He remembers having to pull MJ aside in the 4th quarter of game 5 of the '91 Finals and tell him to pas to an open Paxson instead of trying to win it himself. He saw the player whom he had to help become a winner. So to Phil, it's not, "MJ is the clear GOAT. He is 6 for 6 in the Finals." as some fans like to say. To Phil, it's, "I helped him go 6 for 6 in the Finals. It's not just his greatness alone. He may not have been this successful if he hadn't learned to listen to me."

Or maybe Phil wouldn't have become the winning coach he did without MJ. Phil wouldn't have had NO cred without MJ leading those teams to titles. It ain't like Phil ever took a team like the Raptors to the Finals.

Russell was most definitely NOT a terrible offensive player. There's a lot more to offense than scoring. He was no Ben Wallace...

PJax didn't say Russ was better. He just said he would pick him if he was starting a team. He made no mention of "GOAT" or who is better.

Quote Originally Posted by S13M
    First he said MJ was better, but now he can't make a decision on who to pick?
    A lot of the sports media is saying Phil picked Russell because he was tired of hurting Kobe's feelings. He saw how badly all the Jordan comparisons and love thrashing got to Kobe (via twitter). Not sure I believe that, but still hilarious anyway.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Or maybe Phil wouldn't have become the winning coach he did without MJ. Phil wouldn't have had NO cred without MJ leading those teams to titles. It ain't like Phil ever took a team like the Raptors to the Finals.
    You're totally missing my point. My point is not that Phil single-handedly turned some incompetent loser into a champion through his coaching genius. My point is Phil doesn't view MJs resume' and career as just the result of MJ's greatness either, which is basically how the average fan sees things when they start rattling off the case for a player's GOAT status. Phil sees MJ's greatness, not as a star- strucked impressed fan. He sees it as the result of a process which he greatly contributed to.

It's kind of like the big brother of a superstar. The average fan only knows that superstar as a superstar and is totally enamored by his/her greatness. The fan wants the superstar's autograph, to take a picture with him/ her, or screams in excitement when they see this celebrity.

The big brother doesn't do that. The big brother is like, "I remember when I used to beat you up back in the day, and mama used to wipe your nose. I grew up with you, and remember when you weren't so popular. I helped you get where you are by taking you to practice and everything." Phil is like MJs big brother in this case. He's not the fan.
    Last edited by jlip; 05-24-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

[B]Russel Was The Best Defensive Player Ever and Among the GOAT Rebounders But He Wasn