Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Default Re: 2012-13 EC regular season prediction game

Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    -Chicago will struggle early, but when/if Rose comes back, they'll be able to sneak into the playoffs. Record depends on how quickly Rose returns to game action/100%.

I see Chicago strugging early on then basically they will try and tank and get a good pick then win the lottery then when Rose is back next year they will be even more deadly.

Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar

Also a very possible outcome. I think it depends on just how badly they do without Rose. If they're playing around .500 and he's available to come back in February, I think he comes back. Though, if they struggle really badly, I could definitely see him just sitting out the year.

Just an FYI for anyone curious:
    http://www.rantsports.com/courtcrusa...o-bulls-owner/
    As Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose continues to rehab his torn ACL, there has been wide speculation as to when the former MVP will be back in action. While reports have ranged from an optimistic January return to as long as the entire season, Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf weighed in on the matter during a radio appearance on ESPN 1000’s “Talking Baseball” show Saturday.

“I’m not going to let him come back until the doctors tell me that it’s absolutely safe for him to come back,” Reinsdorf said. “I made that mistake with Michael Jordan years ago where I think we let him come back too soon. It worked out OK, but it might not have. This time I’m not going to make that mistake. Until the doctors say he’s 100 percent and they put their reputations on the line, he’s not coming back.”

Hearing Reinsdorf compare Rose to Jordan is a positive sign for Bulls fans, considering the owner’s unwillingness to invest in a team that isn’t a title contender. The Bulls will pay the luxury tax this year for the first time in the team’s history, despite a lackluster offseason. Despite trade rumors surrounding the 2012 NBA Draft, Chicago ultimately opted to keep the core in tact, while replacing the “Bench Mob” that had helped lead the Bulls to the best record in the NBA last season. The replacements: Kirk Hinrich, Nate Robinson, Marco Belinelli, Nazr Mohammed and draft pick Marquis Teague. Not terrible, but not players that put the team in a better position to compete for a title.

Despite the loss of Rose, the Bulls will likely be playoff bound in the weaker Eastern Conference. But with several teams upgrading in free agency and through the draft as well as the Miami Heat looking more dominant than ever, the Bulls could be stuck in “basketball hell” until greater changes are made.
    Sucks for them that if they really pull the strategy of hover around .500 until whenever he comes back and them make a playoff push, there are quite possibly gonna be at least 3 or 4 teams that are significantly better than them by that point. And they don't have a team that even with a healthy D.Rose can legitimately compete for a title or even an EC crown.

I agree that Nets being high up there is hardly a given.

D-Will has a horrible attitude and Joe Johnson can disappear for multiple games in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Dawn
    I agree that Nets being high up there is hardly a given.

D-Will has a horrible attitude and Joe Johnson can disappear for multiple games in a row.
    Williams has an attitude problem? I'm not very familiar with that other than the whole Jerry Sloan thing.

The Nets are definitely a mystery of a team, but with health, they could definitely compete for home court advantage in the east. Playing in the toughest division in the East may hurt their record a bit, but I think they're an obvious playoff team with the ability to make a pretty decent run.

-Joe Johnson playing with the best PG he's ever played with
    -Deron Williams playing with the best swingman he's ever played with.
    -Health from Williams and Lopez will go a long way
    -Gerald Wallace can focus on his defense/rebounding with Johnson on board
    -MarShon Brooks probably continues to improve
    -Reggie Evans AND Kris Humphries taking the brunt of the dirty work away from Lopez.

They aren't the deepest team, but if they could add another 3 point threat to their bench, I think they're in a pretty favourable position going forward.

IMO D-Will doesn't have attitude problems, at least not serious ones. Guys like Demarcus Cousins and Andrew Bynum as an example, those are guys with clear bad attitudes. It's well documented and lots of people say they haven't liked coaching them or playing with them. In the case of D-Will, he like many other great players allowed his emotions to get the best of him when things weren't going his way in terms of the team, the roster, winning, all of that. You see that happen with many of the greats. Dirk, Kobe, Lebron, etc... they all had bouts of it. But I feel as though on this team with his new teammates, he will be happy again, and full committed to winning. I don't think they will have anything to worry about in terms of his attitude, he's just an ultra competitive dude and that's a good thing.

One other thing I thought of just now is that Andrew Bynum is gonna be playing for the SIXERS. Doug Collins seems to be the right type of coach for him. He's down to earth it seems but he's also no nonsense. I think he'll force Bynum to give more of an effort on the defense end and to stop half assing the way he does. And that sense of entitlement of his, out the door. And I didn't even know they were gonna get J-Rich as well. They have quite a solid team over there too.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Yea but I'm going to miss Iggy though.

Philadelphia has greatly improved their team. I actually think that Arnett Moultrie will have a very good rookie season. Evan Turner and Thaddeus Young will have a lot more responsibilities but I think they will both thrive with Iggy out of the way. Nick Young is a pretty hot and cold player but he is a definite threat from beyond the arc. And as Bokes said, add in the veteran leadership and athleticism of Jason Richardson, you've got a pretty dangerous team capable of making some noise.

Philadelphia has greatly improved their team. I actually think that Arnett Moultrie will have a very good rookie season. Evan Turner and Thaddeus Young will have a lot more responsibilities but I think they will both thrive with Iggy out of the way. Nick Young is a pretty hot and cold player but he is a definite threat from beyond the arc. And as Bokes said, add in the veteran leadership and athleticism of Jason Richardson, you've got a pretty dangerous team capable of making some noise.
    In all honesty, IMO even as a 1-1 trade Bynum >>>> Iggy. Amazing trade for the Sixers to get Bynum and Jrich for Iggy. He's actually 3 years younger and a bigger impact player due to his size and position. As I said If he can get his attitude in check and remain relatively healthy, they're in for a steal. Then they can plug in Nick Young for instant offense off the bench behind J-Rich. I wasn't aware that Lou Will went to the Hawks, so that may hurt their depth a little but who knows maybe Jrue Holiday will step up and have a break out season. He's only 22. And playing with a true back to the basket Center will help all those perimeter guys out anyways.

Local High School Star

The Nets are definitely a mystery of a team, but with health....

snip

They aren't the deepest team, but if they could add another 3 point threat to their bench, I think they're in a pretty favourable position going forward.
    This +1

I think they are too good to miss the playoffs - I think this team will need time to gel - find floor space for each other - determine where those open looks are.

Mostly vets so 20 games will do it... but i wont be surprised by a few bone head losses to Raptors Cavs etc.

I think Dwil is fine although there are hints of dwightmare in his should I stay or go....Joe does take DEFENCE breathers second half.... but he has more if older talent to snap him out of it.

Local High School Star

Bump

1. Miami
    2. Boston
    3. Indianapolis
    4. Philly
    5. Chicago
    6. Brooklyn
    7. NY Knicks
    8. Atlanta
    9. Toronto
    10. Washington
    11.Milwaukee
    12.Detroit
    13.Cleveland
    14 Charlotte
    15.Orlando

Have to rejig before season starts - John Wall gone for 2 months.

Toronto projected to be 9th in conference with 29 - 35 wins missing the playoffs and given Houston our pick

I should've made this post around the end of September instead. I'm pretty sure when I originally made my predictions I was unaware of the Bynum trade.

I'm feeling a lil sketchy about my picks too. I put Chicago in the 5th spot, not feeling to confident about that. I can see them finishing much lower. Maybe even missing the playoffs.

Local High School Star

No need for a new thread - just a date time stamp.

Last official posting should be i.e. September 29 at 12:00 noon - or something like that.

Walls injury is my bugaboo - but other than that I am reasonably confident.