Default What to do in this situation?

Situation: Me vs a guy 6 inches taller. He fastbreak one on one, get near the basket and throw it up. I challenge the shot. Guy isn't very good so he missed, but then he would get the rebound. Again and again. His jump and reach are just better than me. What should I do in that one on one situation to get the rebound the first time?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: What to do in this situation?

It sounds like it may be time to get a little physical with him. By that I do not mean going out of your way to foul. Instead, try using your body after the shot goes up to move him out of the picture. If you make it a game of who can reach the highest, it seems you'll come up short. As such, it may be up to your ability to move the attacking player out of the picture a little bit, at least to open up an opportunity for you to leave the ground first.

That said, one-on-one fastbreak missed shot situations can be weird. I understand it's not always as simple as boxing out since bodies are flying in different directions due to momentum. Sometimes it's just about finding a way to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    It sounds like it may be time to get a little physical with him. By that I do not mean going out of your way to foul. Instead, try using your body after the shot goes up to move him out of the picture. If you make it a game of who can reach the highest, it seems you'll come up short. As such, it may be up to your ability to move the attacking player out of the picture a little bit, at least to open up an opportunity for you to leave the ground first.

That said, one-on-one fastbreak missed shot situations can be weird. I understand it's not always as simple as boxing out since bodies are flying in different directions due to momentum. Sometimes it's just about finding a way to survive.
    Isn't it illegal to just push him out of his established position?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Yeah, extended arm pushes are frowned upon. I was more referring to using your body to move him out, like a boxout. And while straight up pushing someone isn't cool, there is a lot of grappling and moving one can get away with. Be sure you establish your position and make him go over the top of you if he wants that board.

well damn, sounds like its time to foul the guy, that or, knowing he isn't very good, anticipate when he's going to shoot it and block him out early. don't jump just box out and move your guy back away from the ball and let someone else on your team scoop up the rebound.

I have always said the floor rebound is a mismatch's best friend

Serious playground baller

Your not allowed to displace a player but I agree with the above poster, box him out. As soon as he touches down make it your goal to keep him from getting the rebound. I'm barely 5'10, probably under in my Kobe's ;) but I play against taller guys all the time. I just put my but into their lower thighs and back them up

I did box out immediately. But because we were near the rim, he gets it anyway. Are you guys saying I should push him back with my butt? That's also illegal isn't it?

I guess I can foul him intentionally. B!tch move tho.

Serious playground baller

I did box out immediately. But because we were near the rim, he gets it anyway. Are you guys saying I should push him back with my butt? That's also illegal isn't it?

I guess I can foul him intentionally. B!tch move tho.

Yes and yes. Technically it's not legal to "displace" a player but with a size disadvantage you should be able to get away with it

Don't even defend him on the break. Let him have the layup and on the in bounds throw it off his back and run the break on him. Take it all the way to the hoop.