Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Default Re: hakeem vs d. robinson

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Whatever dude.

All four are awesome, unstoppable scorers in different ways.
    All four were great defenders (shaq not as much, but he was a great shot blocker/defensive rebounder).

All four are all time greats.

I doubt you have even seen them all in their prime, or 95% of ISH for that matter.
    Think again buddy. I grew up watching Hakeem dominate. I watched him dominate Robinson, Ewing, and even give Shaq fits. I saw the absolute look of frustration on the faces of Robinson and Ewing, because THEY HAD NO ANSWER FOR HIM and they were mentally broken, especially Robinson

Robinson and Ewing were not on Hakeem's level, Hakeem was arguably the most complete center of alltime. He had unparalled defense, crazy footwork, a array of offensive moves that shook people right out of their shoes, and insane court vision and handles for a big man.

Shaq also played against all the great players of that era and Shaq has said many of times that Hakeem was the greatest big man he ever played against.....Shaq has got mad respect for Hakeem.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 08-14-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Hakeem

I usually hit open layups Classic's Avatar

G-Train,

You have some pretty shytty arguments. Hakeem, one on one, was by far the toughest big man matchup of any of those. Ask Shaq. Shaq was/is a bulldozer of sorts so it is different from the agility and finesse side of things. Hakeem beat Robinson, just watch his low post moves in that utube video. I had the pleasure of watching the entire series live and Robinson was shyt on. Hakeem beat Ewing. Hakeem beat Shaq. And he did it when it mattered most. All Hakeem had around him was role players in the first championship. Hakeem had Drexler in '95 but it wasn't the Drexler of '87-'92.

People are judged on their post season accomplishments. McGrady is a two time scoring champ and and a hellava good player. But what is he remembered for? What is Garnett remembered for? What is Barkely remembered for? What is Robinson and Ewing remembered for? They are all remembered for not being able to individually carry their team to greatness in the playoffs. That is what truley matters most. It's not the only thing, but it is what matters most. So...

Hakeem>>Robinson

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

This is what Olajuwon did to Ewing and the Knicks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjs1sdRpSV8

and this is what Olajuwon did to Drob and the Spurs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4uXlRGAF0

How anybody can say those players were on the same level as The Dream is beyond me.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Classic
    People are judged on their post season accomplishments. McGrady is a two time scoring champ and and a hellava good player. But what is he remembered for? What is Garnett remembered for? What is Barkely remembered for? What is Robinson and Ewing remembered for? They are all remembered for not being able to individually carry their team to greatness in the playoffs. That is what truley matters most. It's not the only thing, but it is what matters most. So...
    if this is the case, then why are people still arguing that KG > Duncan or Malone > Duncan. those same people who are arguing that Hakeem > Robinson because of post season success cant have it both ways.

I am not here to argue that David > Hakeem because thats not true...but I will argue that the gap that many are claiming to be HUGE is not that big. People here are making it seem like we are arguing Rasho Nesterovic vs Shaq.

David has had some great games against hakeem. just like how KG has had some great games against duncan. yet everyone says the gap between KG and Duncan is narrow but the gap between David and hakeem is huge? how so?

Good college starter Agent_Zero's Avatar

Hakeem Olajuwon, my all time favorite player, takes the cake here.

Not that I'm being biased or anything like that.

In It to Win It

Hakeem was the better center in my opinion. As far as scoring goes, Robinson was better BUT overall, Hakeem was better (rebounding, blocking shots, skills, etc.). I think Olajuwon is actually one of the most underrated stars in NBA history. He really deserves more respect.

I usually hit open layups Classic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
    if this is the case, then why are people still arguing that KG > Duncan or Malone > Duncan. those same people who are arguing that Hakeem > Robinson because of post season success cant have it both ways.

I am not here to argue that David > Hakeem because thats not true...but I will argue that the gap that many are claiming to be HUGE is not that big. People here are making it seem like we are arguing Rasho Nesterovic vs Shaq.

David has had some great games against hakeem. just like how KG has had some great games against duncan. yet everyone says the gap between KG and Duncan is narrow but the gap between David and hakeem is huge? how so?
    I don't think the gap is huge. But people only seem to remember player's post season success and use that as the measuring mark. I'm a big tmac fan but if you aren't its easy to say well, dude aint been out of the first round so he sucks. I think the difference between great and legendary is post season success and the ability to carry a team of lessers on your back. David Robinson was a great center, one of the greatest of all time. Hakeem was a legendary center probably top 4. That little difference, as seen in their head to head, is what people see and judge an extrodinary athelete by. Just the way it is.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Classic
    I don't think the gap is huge. But people only seem to remember player's post season success and use that as the measuring mark. I'm a big tmac fan but if you aren't its easy to say well, dude aint been out of the first round so he sucks. I think the difference between great and legendary is post season success and the ability to carry a team of lessers on your back. David Robinson was a great center, one of the greatest of all time. Hakeem was a legendary center probably top 4. That little difference, as seen in their head to head, is what people see and judge an extrodinary athelete by. Just the way it is.
    fair enough

erudite

Quote Originally Posted by G-train

People say that...
    1. Hakeem has two rings as a featured player, Robinson has two only as a complementary player
    2. Hakeem has a better post game then Robinson
    3. Hakeem outplayed Robinson head-to-head in their one playoff match up.

1. is true, but Duncan has more rings than Hakeem, so is he better? maybe, maybe not. Its not a fair way to judge.
    2. is false. It is a dead heat pretty much. There is no analytical way to prove one is better than the other.
    3. One series cannot be an over ruling judgement
    You are smoking with number two......Of course you can analytically show that Dream was a better post player...you can go through post skills Dream possessed that D-Rob did not..you can talk about back to the basket scoring and about ability to score from the post in the clutch...

Dream vs D-Rob is truly like the TD vs KG argument except Dream has interior skills on D-Rob while TD doesn't have more post skills than KG he is more effective becuz he is simply stronger and has a better center of gravity....

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

i like how this thread got recycled!

how many of the recent guys read through its development from the beginning?

Not airballing my layups anymore

Being rockets-oriented, gotta say Hakeem.

Give me Hakeem Olajuwon. He elevated his game in the playoffs and Finals. 2 finals mvp is better than none.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Do the stats when both where prime and healthy that is from 1989 to 1996 (ages 22 to 32: players prime and peak). Both where done after that. Hakeem will probably have better stats both in the regulear season and play-offs. Both where the best defensive centers (Admiral a better rim protector and Hakeem a better 1 on 1 defender. Both where great floor defenders for steals as Cīs) but offensively Hakeem was much better. Hakeem was also a better passer and rebounder.

National High School Star Richesly's Avatar

From what I know, D Rob was probably the overall better player. However, Hakeem had Drob beat in some respects, such as a back to the basket game(although, drob had hakeem beat in the overall post).