Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516

Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

I'm going to work on a massive project over the next few weeks; ranking the top games of all-time, games from PS4, WIIU, WII, X1, X360, PS3, GameCube, N64, PS2, XBOX, PS, PC and DreamCast.

The best memories I had was with my PC titles; I think people will appreciate the effort. At the very least, I'll shed light on some games that people have never heard of. I probably played/tried over 500 titles on all those consoles; SNES and Genesis games were what started it for me, but I haven't played them in ages so I don't think it would be fair to include them on the list.

I'd say top 300 or 400 games since there are so many; you can expect TLoU to be near the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Also, Joel is the GOAT video game protagonist. So much depth to his character.
    He's definitely up there for someone only featured in one game. Overall, really the only guy I will be putting above him for sure is Ezio.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    He's definitely up there for someone only featured in one game. Overall, really the only guy I will be putting above him for sure is Ezio.
    That's weird considering how anti-social he was in the game; I liked Ellie a lot more. Nate Drake easily beats him; it's not even close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    That's weird considering how anti-social he was in the game; I liked Ellie a lot more. Nate Drake easily beats him; it's not even close to me.
    Yeah it's a good point about Ellie as well. Thing with Drake, Ezio, maybe Sam Fisher, is that they've had plenty of games for character development (you could argue Sam had none through the first 3 games). Joel and Ellie had one game but they knocked it out of the park. I mean there are no beautiful letters to their loved ones or the repressed memories from losing them that you can reference like with Ezio, or epic moments with Drake, but for what the story set out to accomplish, I think they did a great job with one game.

Another protagonist that I usually criticize heavily around here but had a lot of character development in one game is Connor from AC3. Maybe even Edward from AC4.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Yeah it's a good point about Ellie as well. Thing with Drake, Ezio, maybe Sam Fisher, is that they've had plenty of games for character development (you could argue Sam had none through the first 3 games). Joel and Ellie had one game but they knocked it out of the park. I mean there are no beautiful letters to their loved ones or the repressed memories from losing them that you can reference like with Ezio, or epic moments with Drake, but for what the story set out to accomplish, I think they did a great job with one game.

Another protagonist that I usually criticize heavily around here but had a lot of character development in one game is Connor from AC3. Maybe even Edward from AC4.
    I'd definitely agree with Connor. Dude had a ton of development. Edward to me had the same story as Ezio in a lot of ways. Except instead of young and brash seeking revenge it was more like middle age and pleasure seeking.

AC4 was the crown jewel for them though in terms of development. All the characters really got a lot of development. Maybe not on TLOU level, but more than probably 98% of games.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

A lot of the character development from TLOU works so well because it's reeled out in bits and pieces. And it goes backwards. We learn about the characters histories as the plot moves forward, whereas most games are focused more on "Something Happens ... Revenge", with some history peppered in. One of my favorite things in TLoU is the little character building exploration game elements. Finding the comic books. Investigating stuff like the billboards or toys.

For what it's worth, I do think the character development is easier in a more linear game like that. The story can be tied to specific moments, whereas it's a little harder in an open world game like AC where the sequencing of events isn't as written in stone. And it's usually tied to mission locks, where some element of the character is revealed as some key mission unlocks.

I think most of the AC games do a good job with it. But I tend to like those games better than most people. But the open world game that comes to mind most is Red Dead. John was lit up really well for a game with that much freedom.

If we're talking about games with great characters, The Witcher 3 needs to be mentioned. So many great characters. Geralt, Ciri, Yennifer, Triss, The Bloody Baron, Djiktra, King Radovid, Phillipa, etc. The writing in that game is sublime. Only TLOU is better imo.

San Andreas is another game with great characters.
    I don't think there's a game that genuinely makes me care more about the characters than Uncharted though. At this point, it's like a family; if I see Nate, Sully, Elena, Chloe, Cutter die in U4; I'd probably shed a tear, honestly.

If TLoU has a couple more sequels, it has a chance to surpass Uncharted.
    I was pretty teary when Sam & Henry die.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

The Sam and Henry scene was intense. I agree that Uncharted has done a great job with building those characters. But the tone is so different that it doesn't have the same impact for me as TLoU did. But I will be genuinely upset if we lose Sully or Elena. It just feels like it's taken more to get to that point.

I need to play The Witcher.

I'm playing Batman now. There's a game that's tried to add emotional character stakes to it's story. And it's worked to a degree. But it gets undercut when right after an extremely poignant moment Batman mutters something like "I can't access the Batmobile remotely from here." That's the type of problem the open world games run into more than the more linear games can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    And it's worked to a degree. But it gets undercut when right after an extremely poignant moment Batman mutters something like "I can't access the Batmobile remotely from here." That's the type of problem the open world games run into more than the more linear games can do.

I really wish Batman didn't talk to himself so much, it really breaks the immersion. Even though it's an open world game, I can choose to do things differently based on what I'm feeling after a certain scene.

A couple of examples to drive this point home; in AC4 when you place Mary Read's body in the boat and the guards attack, man did I **** every one of them up because of I pissed I was. Now that was obviously not part of the game story but I made it part of the story that I was playing. Another example is the last Ezio repressed memory in ACB. After watching Cristina die, the game switches back to current gameplay but I was too ****ing sad to do anything.... so I just walked the streets of Rome people watching.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it's hard to do that in a game like Arkham Knight because it's hard not to break immersion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    The Sam and Henry scene was intense.
    That scene right there shows how much of an art video games have become. The look on Joel's face when Henry shoots himself was really detailed and well done, the look of someone who had been in Henry's shoes.