Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Dallas Mavericks Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    B2) The theory makes sense I suppose. I just don't buy putting a 50 Million dollar roster out on the court being a lost season. If he really felt that way why even bother signing Kaman, Mayo, Brand. Why not just fill it out with cheap floatsam, rest Dirk if you really think the short prep is a health concern, try to move Marion and VC, both of whom would've been relatively short two year contract vets to chase a ring on a contender, and chased a draft pick or two for this year. It sounds like he's convincing himself after the fact more than that was the plan going in.
    First, whenever I see that you've posted I check your stuff out. I appreciate your input.

That being said, not to nitpick, but with the salary floor Cuban had to fill out the roster, and did so with one year deals, so as to have a lot of flexibility.

As for the VC/Marion... if Cuban truly believes that Dirk can still lead a contender, then Marion and VC are quite valuable to Dallas. Can't really duplicate Marion with anyone in the league that is available, and VC has also shown the ability to score well in bunches without being a negative team presence.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Thanks for clearing that up, BH.
    At the time, I thought that letting Terry leave was a bad move. In hindsight, what did Dallas miss out on? And where is Barea? Minnesota? Hurt all the time? Again, all hindsight from me... but it looks like Dallas made the correct decision with all except Chandler.
    right. letting chandler walk was the big flubb. JJ is in minny and is what he is. Still, its hard to think of another defending champion team that let so many integral parts walk before the next season. Basically their entire guard rotation and their center.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    right. letting chandler walk was the big flubb. JJ is in minny and is what he is. Still, its hard to think of another defending champion team that let so many integral parts walk before the next season. Basically their entire guard rotation and their center.
    There were special circumstances after the 2010-11 season:
    - Mavs had one of the highest payrolls in 2011
    - many expiring contract and the important players (Chandler, Barea, ...) expected much bigger contracts
    - lockout and new cba
    Last edited by eklip; 08-20-2013 at 05:08 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

You really think Chandler is worth 14.5 million a year?

With the new CBA...that would have prevented the Mavs from getting another star player in here until Dirk's contract expires this coming summer.

So even if you could go back...would you really want to keep Chandler? he's been hurt or played horribly in the playoffs since leaving Dallas;

6/9/1
    6/7/0

He's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    You really think Chandler is worth 14.5 million a year?

With the new CBA...that would have prevented the Mavs from getting another star player in here until Dirk's contract expires this coming summer.

So even if you could go back...would you really want to keep Chandler? he's been hurt or played horribly in the playoffs since leaving Dallas;

6/9/1
    6/7/0

He's not worth it.
    he has indicated that he would have taken less to stay. and yes, hes worth it on this team IMO. What other star did you get? A bird in hand.....

I would rather have him at 14.5 next to dirk than calderon and monta for more than that.

he has indicated that he would have taken less to stay. and yes, hes worth it on this team IMO. What other star did you get? A bird in hand.....

I would rather have him at 14.5 next to dirk than calderon and monta for more than that.
    He indicated no such thing. The only thing I heard talked about was a marginal discount if we gave him 5 years.

Instead? We got cap flexibility and not having to pay a player 14 plus million a year that has averaged 6/8/0 over the last two years in the playoffs.

See...the Mavs are "title or bust"...that is what you are missing. If we had signed Chandler, we would have been better the last 2 years...but we don't win the title. Dirk's injuries alone prevent that. Is Chandler making Dirk healthy or something?

We now have a situation in which we have a solid team and have cap space going forward.

Here is the point nobody wants to admit. There was no way possible for the Mavs to win the title in 12. None. Even brining everyone back...no way to win.

In 13...the only way to have won the title was to bring in Paul or Howard. Didn't happen.

So that brings us to now...and I think it's abundantly clear that the Mavs are in a better position both now and for the future without paying Chandler big money.

Again...he's a 6/8/0 player in the playoffs over the last 2 years...LOL

He indicated no such thing. The only thing I heard talked about was a marginal discount if we gave him 5 years.

Instead? We got cap flexibility and not having to pay a player 14 plus million a year that has averaged 6/8/0 over the last two years in the playoffs.

See...the Mavs are "title or bust"...that is what you are missing. If we had signed Chandler, we would have been better the last 2 years...but we don't win the title. Dirk's injuries alone prevent that. Is Chandler making Dirk healthy or something?

We now have a situation in which we have a solid team and have cap space going forward.

Here is the point nobody wants to admit. There was no way possible for the Mavs to win the title in 12. None. Even brining everyone back...no way to win.

In 13...the only way to have won the title was to bring in Paul or Howard. Didn't happen.

So that brings us to now...and I think it's abundantly clear that the Mavs are in a better position both now and for the future without paying Chandler big money.

love your hindsight. dirks injury shouldnt play a role one way or the other. Of course chandler wouldnt have prevented it, but you cant build a case for not paying chandler based on something that happened after that offseason. SMFH you are a homer. Mavs will not win another title. probably in your lifetime.

You think having Chandler would have been enough to bring in D-Will though?

Quote Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
    that is another factor that hasnt been considered. When FA stars look at the mavs, the cupboard is bare. Dirk is in the twillight of his career and he doesnt have a raport with them from playing together on team USA, summer training. Chandler (who is a better player than just stats) does have that AAU-NBA relationship with many other players. And ballhogs like to play with him. He would've made dallas a more attractive destination for at least dwill

love your hindsight. dirks injury shouldnt play a role one way or the other. Of course chandler wouldnt have prevented it, but you cant build a case for not paying chandler based on something that happened after that offseason. SMFH you are a homer. Mavs will not win another title. probably in your lifetime.
    No...I'm not even saying that. I'm saying that even with Chandler we still come up empty looking back.

Not signing Chandler? That was easy...he's not even close to worth what you have to pay him.

And I want to know what team the Mavs are putting out there over the last 2 years that could have won the title.

It was just a tough situation with no way to win. That is what people like you don't want to admit. You want to think there is always a way...guess what...there isn't. The Mavs were old and played way above their actual ability in the 11 playoffs.

Bringing back Terry, Kidd, Chandler, Stevenson, and Barea over the last 2 years would have been a disaster.

Honestly, the big mistake was not brining back corey brewer. He's exactly the type of guy we have needed and will need in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
    I have no idea...but Deron would have had to take a discount in order for that to happen.

There simply isn't room to sign Deron at the max with Dirk's salary and Chandler's salary and Marion's salary.

Cuban has discussed this before...and that right there is exactly why we didn't pay Chandler.

Now, if Deron would have taken a discount to come here...then it's a valid point. I just don't know enough to say whether or not Deron would. My guess would be no, but it's just a guess.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 08-20-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

1. GROUP MAYO: Mayo, Kaman, Collison, Brand, D.Jones, M.James or GROUP MONTA: Ellis, Dalembert, Calderon, Blair, Ellington, D.Harris. Which group you got?
    Group Ellis. Though I prefer Mayo over Ellis, pretty much all of the rest I prefer in Group Monta (except Harris, I'd probably take Mike James).

2. TRUE or FALSE: Dirk Nowitzki will have a Tim Duncan-like resurgence this season.
    False. Unless he's been eating a lot of chicken and broccoli. But seriously, different coaching staff, way different pieces around him - I expect him to do pretty well, but not All-Star calibre.

3. The Backcourt of Monta and Jose: Surprisingly Effective? Or Surprisingly Ineffective?
    Surprisingly Effective. Calderon can run the O well. Monta needs the ball in his hands to be effective, but Calderon can give it to him on some Monta slashes or drive and dishes.

4. Not including Dirk, which Maverick is poised for a career resurgence?
    Gal Mekel if he counts. I was really impressed w/ him in the Vegas league. I think he can become a great backup PG, even if he has a ton of competition.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Dallas Mavericks will make the playoffs this season.
    False. It won't surprise me if they do, but I don't think they'll be able to overcome that big group of WC fringe playoff teams - Portland, NO, Denver, LAL, Minnesota, etc for just a couple playoff spots.

well, I guess there's no point in protesting bonus Q's, if they're standard now (and therefore, not bonuses...). But I'll just give 1-word bonus answers.

BONUS 1: Better NBA Career: Shane Larkin or Gal Mekel?

Mekel

BONUS 2o you agree with Mark Cuban's rationale?[/INDENT]

sure

Quote Originally Posted by eklip
    There were special circumstances after the 2010-11 season:
    - Mavs had one of the highest payrolls in 2011
    - many expiring contract and the important players (Chandler, Barea, ...) expected much bigger contracts
    - lockout and new cba

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak
    (except Harris, I'd probably take Mike James)

1. GROUP MAYO: Mayo, Kaman, Collison, Brand, D.Jones, M.James or GROUP MONTA: Ellis, Dalembert, Calderon, Blair, Ellington, D.Harris. Which group you got?

none. goddamn, that really sucks if you've gotta choose between Mayo or Monta.

2. TRUE or FALSE: Dirk Nowitzki will have a Tim Duncan-like resurgence this season.

in what way? like getting back to his 2011 stats? he lost the guys that helped him get those stats, so i say false.

3. The Backcourt of Monta and Jose: Surprisingly Effective? Or Surprisingly Ineffective?

surprisingly ineffective. any backcourt with Monta in it will be ineffective.

4. Not including Dirk, which Maverick is poised for a career resurgence?

easily Calderon. with Dirk present, Calderon will average more assists and will certainly have an easier time scoring.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Dallas Mavericks will make the playoffs this season.

let's see. OKC, Spurs, Houston, Clippers, Memphis, Golden State, Minnesotta, Denver. so false.

and two BONUS Questions:

BONUS 1: Better NBA Career: Shane Larkin or Gal Mekel?

who? don't care.

BONUS 2:
    Mark Cuban: ""We basically saw the 2011-12 season as a throw away no matter who we signed," "With out the time to prepare and get their bodies ready, throwing a team with with an older starting lineup right into the fire was going to be tough. Young guys can walk into an NBA game any day of the year. Get to your mid 30s, not so much. So to bring the gang back , we would basically be losing a year. When you look at keeping together an older team and the first year after your championship is a lost year, it's hard to justify keeping an older team together."
    Do you agree with Mark Cuban's rationale?

No. when you have a championship team, you try to keep it intact no matter what.