Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Default Re: Preparation for High School Ball

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    my son had 3 days of tryouts. lots of his buddies got cut, one that didn't make it was a bit of a surprise for me. last 3 kids get cut today sometime after school.
    Oh man last cuts are always brutal, It's hard to keep your head up when you've basically been told you can't do something. Hope your son makes it.

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Oh man last cuts are always brutal, It's hard to keep your head up when you've basically been told you can't do something. Hope your son makes it.
    yeah, he made it. i knew he would.

he has to play center now. not the position he wanted but he should get the ball in his hands alot. i don't think the freshman coach knows that he can shoot.

most of his buddies got cut and it kinda bummed him out. he was also in a state of shock with the amount of running and hustling that they do now. i told him it was a big difference between middle school and high school ball.

yeah, he made it. i knew he would.

he has to play center now. not the position he wanted but he should get the ball in his hands alot. i don't think the freshman coach knows that he can shoot.

most of his buddies got cut and it kinda bummed him out. he was also in a state of shock with the amount of running and hustling that they do now. i told him it was a big difference between middle school and high school ball.
    That happened to me on multiple occasions. Your son may think it's pointless to learn post moves and stuff now because at a higher level he'll be playing guard/wing but from my experience learning multiple positions can improve your basketball iq and understanding for the game.

On my end, we have football guys trying out mondays through wednesdays. There's 18 original players, about 25 football players trying out, and 24 spots on the team. From my perspective I think they'll cut 4 of the weaker players from the original group and take 10 of the football players. From what I've seen about 6 of them can actually play but a lot of them are HUGE which is good because I don't want to play center/post a lot. Also the first string qb for the freshman football team is also supposed to be mad good at basketball and he played for our school's feeder AAU team so the coaches already know him so he'll probably be directly put on JV. At this point I'm 99% sure I'll make the team now I just want to be a starter whether that be on the A or B team.

Future D1 Dad

At this point I'm 99% sure I'll make the team now I just want to be a starter whether that be on the A or B team.
    cool. what's your team's mascot? my son's is the Braves.

cool. what's your team's mascot? my son's is the Braves.
    Monarchs

Made it. Tommorow i'll find out if i'm on A or B and whether I'll be a starter or not.

Oh the suspense...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    Oh the suspense...
    They're still deciding.. Tommorow we finally have some gym time, must take advantage

Future D1 Dad

Made it. Tommorow i'll find out if i'm on A or B and whether I'll be a starter or not.
    [COLOR="Red"]CONGRATS!!![/COLOR]

my son's 1st game is next week. they've been practicing like crazy every day, even on saturdays.

[COLOR="Red"]CONGRATS!!![/COLOR]

my son's 1st game is next week. they've been practicing like crazy every day, even on saturdays.
    Yea we practice 6 days a week too and on Sundays I work with my trainer. We also have our first scrimmage next saturday which is sort of a test match to see where we're at. Then the following week the A team has a tournament thursday-saturday and the B team Wed-Fri. After the tournament each team gets 3 games against random public schools before league play starts.

Future D1 Dad

Yea we practice 6 days a week too and on Sundays I work with my trainer. We also have our first scrimmage next saturday which is sort of a test match to see where we're at. Then the following week the A team has a tournament thursday-saturday and the B team Wed-Fri. After the tournament each team gets 3 games against random public schools before league play starts.
    cool.

my son's feet have been hurting him lately. he's switched to his new team shoes and they are 1 size bigger (15's) so i hope that alleviates the pain a bit.

i'm just hoping it's just his feet having to get used to all the running and it'll all settle down. not looking forward to seeking out a podiatrist .

Size 15 is huge. Is it just general foot soreness or is something twisted/sprained like the ankle.

Future D1 Dad

Size 15 is huge. Is it just general foot soreness or is something twisted/sprained like the ankle.
    just soreness, not anything twisted though his right foot was getting swollen. the new shoes have helped a bit and i told him to have the team trainer to tape his feet up b4 practice and games.

I'm on B's, the team dividing makes sense for the most part. But the A team is going to have a stacked starting lineup and a shitty bench