Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    The NFL is a tiny professional sport. Tiny.

How many professional American Football players are there compared to other sports?

If there is any term to properly describe the NFL as a sport, marginal would be it. Marginal athletes, marginal talents, marginal entertainment value, marginal everything.
    you have no Earthly idea of what you're talking about...

the ONLY athlete i can even think of that ranks above NFL players in terms of sheer physical athleticism is Bron...the next dozen or so would be NFL players...soccer players wouldn't make the top-50 list

Physical Athleticism:

1. Lebron
    2. Calvin
    3. Peterson
    4. NFL Player
    5. NFL Player
    6. NFL Player
    7. NFL Player
    etc
    etc
    etc

14. Dwight Howard
    15. Blake Griffin

something like that

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

NFL has "marginal athletes." Now I've heard it all. Not liking the sport is one thing, but just being completely fu[color=black]cking[/color] ignorant is another. An NFL linebacker, for instance, is probably the single most complete package of athlete in pro sports FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksimilian
    Agree about the helmet as a weapon theory. However it cant be considered a real weapon if the other dudes covered head to toe in weaponary and armour too.

Rugby can def be compared to NFL. In NFL the tackles, guards, ends and linebackers start each play directly facing eachother and like 3 m apart. Majority of them have a little run up and hit eachother straight away. And then the plays over, you have a break for 5 mins, repeat, then break for a 5 min break again. On the other hand Rugby players get bashed down, get up, start running, get bashed down, get up, start running.......and repeat for 80 minutes.

You reallly cant compare them. One is a physically demanding sport were people are getting bashed for 80 minutes non stop while being expected to keep running. The other is a a bunch of fat dudes running 3 m, having a break and then going on commecial break.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah did i mention the part about not wearing armour? Heres a video of white dudes getting ****ed up. Didnt even wanna use videos of the Maoris and Islanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66wK9zAppHc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres a little bit of Australian Football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlG3qqtWNy8
    More B.S. The only players who are even slightly fat are Offensive lineman, who are also massively strong and incredibly mobile for their enormous size.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

6'3"; 250 lbs
    4.38 40 yd dash
    squats 685 lbs

damn these fat roided up marginal athletes...

6'7" 287 lb Julius Peppers

I actually think all three sports are equal in terms of physicality. Theres absolutely nothing seperating them in that field. However NFL players wear padding ffs! And thats not even a bad thing, infact its a GREAT thing! Its awesome that Americans are brought up to associate NFL with a need to protect themselves. Its awesome that they protect the bodies. But you cant sit there with a straight face and try and claim its the "toughest" in the world :)
    You have too little knowledge of how violent the game is and how badly these guys are destroying their bodies. I can't discuss something with someone who chooses to be willfully ignorant.

^^^ half the NFL is bigger than that dude, and probably much faster

^^^ random NFL players

an NFL locker room makes a soccer locker room look like something out of grade school

Look at this lard ass

Tyron Smith 6' 5" 308lbs

Quite honestly, the guy that you posted looks to have the build of an average NFL skill position player.

^^^ dudes vertical higher than most the NBA

^^^ that is Dez Bryant...not an NBA player, but like many NFL players has no issues dunking or playing the game of basketball...can many soccer players dunk?...no not many of them, they aren't as athletic

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    NFL has "marginal athletes." Now I've heard it all. Not liking the sport is one thing, but just being completely fu[color=black]cking[/color] ignorant is another. An NFL linebacker, for instance, is probably the single most complete package of athlete in pro sports FFS.
    Never knew eugenics was still so in fashion these days.

American Football, a sport that is played in really only one country in the world (where it's just one of many popular sports), a sport that a handful people around the world practice professionally and sport that only about 5% of the world population is exposed to of course still has the absolute elite athletes in the world.

Because they're American, right? And the "American race" is inherently more athletic than the rest of the planet?

Please. That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard, you guys need a dose of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    I'm not saying they aren't athletic, but posting a bunch of pictures of guys with nice physiques doesn't prove they are athletic. It's pretty sexy though and better than this dumb argument, so continue.

Never knew eugenics was still so in fashion these days.

American Football, a sport that is played in really only one country in the world (where it's just one of many popular sports), a sport that a handful people around the world practice professionally and sport that only about 5% of the world population is exposed to of course still has the absolute elite athletes in the world.

Because they're American, right? And the "American race" is inherently more athletic than the rest of the planet?

Please. That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard, you guys need a dose of reality.
    Gridiron Football makes more money than every other sport on the planet...

I believe the Dallas Cowboys just past up Man U as the most expensive sports franchise in the world

I'm not sure where you get this "5%" stuff...but it is BY FAR the most popular sport in the US

a single NFL playoff game will beat out the entire NBA Finals in terms of TV ratings

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    I'm not saying they aren't athletic, but posting a bunch of pictures of guys with nice physiques doesn't prove they are athletic. It's pretty sexy though and better than this dumb argument, so continue.
    size and strength is part of athleticism

African Americans are inherently more athletic than the rest of the planet because of how they were bred, yes

African Americans are vastly more athletic on average than Africans

Didnt post him for his physique guys. Posted him because someone said something about natural athletes and how only Lebron could compete in that regard. Sonny Bill is a WBA Boxing Champ, aswell as a Ruby Union world cup winner, and Rugby League Champ. Also that first photo is from when he was eighteen......I was showing his progression.

PS. Angel Eyez......I watched 5 games of NFL a week this last season. Youve watched one rugby game your whole life. Rugby isnt even one of my favorite sports (Ive prob watched more NFL in the last three years). I follow NBA and Soccer religiously. Im giving my unbiased opinion, and honestly....I dont think NFLs as tough as you yanks claim it. Thats all :)

First of all, don't even pretend like you know anything about the NFL, because you clearly don't. The NFL has some of the greatest natural athletes you'll ever see and I don't care how many countries play the sport. Calvin Johnson is about as natural as an athlete will get.