42pts, 19reb vs Pacers - Game 1 Finals
    46pts vs Kings - WCSF
    61ps vs Clippers, career high
    45pts vs Knicks @ MSG
    36pts, 21reb vs Pacers - Game 4 Finals
    38/20/5 vs Suns - WCSF Game 2
    41/11/7/5 vs Blazers - WCF Game 1
    41pts, 12reb vs Pacers - Game 6 Finals

IMO, he was just as good as anyone that's ever played at ANY stage. I'm not talking statistically either.. just watch his games. Guy was an absolute behemoth down low. A coaches worst nightmare.

I've always felt Mike and Shaq were my 1a and 1b players as far as peaks go, but wondered what would happen if Shaq got more touches than MJ too..

Default Re: Is PEAK Shaq (2000) the GOAT?

I had a good thread about it before Deuce took a dump on it.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=253355

(listed by chronologically)
    1966-67 Wilt
    1976-77 Kareem
    1985-86 Bird
    1990-91 Jordan
    1993-94 Hakeem
    1999-00 Shaq

These players are the top 6. You rank them in any order you want and you can't go wrong. I believe, my all-time favourite, Duncan was on par with the listed ones in 2002-03 season.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    I had a good thread about it before Deuce took a dump on it.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=253355

(listed by chronologically)
    1966-67 Wilt
    1976-77 Kareem
    1985-86 Bird
    1990-91 Jordan
    1993-94 Hakeem
    1999-00 Shaq

These players are the top 6. You rank them in any order you want and you can't go wrong. I believe, my all-time favourite, Duncan was on par with the listed ones in 2002-03 season.
    You've got it right in terms of peak dominance, but I believe you could throw in a couple of other players in there, only peak season wise. At least one Magic's title run should be considered (he was not as dominant scoring wise, granted), LBJ or even Dirk's title run (or the failed title run in 2006) were also dominant, though the latter can't touch TOP 5...

Banned

Jordan's stretch around 88-93 was as good as Shaq in 00 and 01. I think that there is any argument to be made for Shaq being the only offensive player around the same level as Jordan (Wilt excluded). His stats are insane already but they dont really show how the whole defense really ended up centering on Shaq in a way I dont remember happening with other great players.

National High School Star

I've seen people on another board say LeBron from this past season was better (I've seen threads specifically comparing them), which I find interesting. Because before this season, everyone talked about how dominant Shaq was and how it was possibly the GOAT peak. Then as soon as the newest GOAT candidate had what people were saying were his best season during the regular season, people were just waiting for him to win a championship to justify their ranking.

It was also interesting watching people yo-yoing on LeBron during the postseason, and once the Heat won Game 7, suddenly it was possibly the GOAT peak again, and people since then have been saying it was a better season than Shaq's.

Another example of how the newest is always the best.

Banned

Shaq is the GOAT.

If he had Phil Jackson for the entirety of his prime you would have seen him play at that level for even longer. Phil ALWAYS knew how to get the most out of his stars and take their games to another level. The triangle utilized all of Shaqs strengths.

Shaqs huge frame just couldn't go through 82 games + playoffs year after year. That's why he always missed regular season time in LA which people hold against him(and its part of why he only has 1 regular season MVP). But when it was the playoffs he always stepped up and played better than anyone ever has. And thats what matters in the end.

All you have to do is watch him play. The game was effortless and there was NOTHING defenses could do. This isn't like Kobe or Jordan making contested fadaway jumpshots with a hand in their face. You can't do anything about that, but how often are they going to make that? With a guy like Shaq he could just get inside and overpower anyone and there is NOTHING defenses could do. When a guy is dunking it down your throat and you are powerless to stop him you are looking at the greatest player ever. And if he wanted to change it up, he had a beautiful touch around the rim, he had a feel for the offense and could always find the open man when help came, and caught cutters all the time.

7'1
    7'7 wingspan
    350+ pounds
    Athletic enough to get his head at rim level despite pushing 400 pounds

You will never see an athlete like that ever again.

High School Varsity 6th Man MisterAmazing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    Shaq is the GOAT.

If he had Phil Jackson for the entirety of his prime you would have seen him play at that level for even longer. Phil ALWAYS knew how to get the most out of his stars and take their games to another level. The triangle utilized all of Shaqs strengths.

Shaqs huge frame just couldn't go through 82 games + playoffs year after year. That's why he always missed regular season time in LA which people hold against him(and its part of why he only has 1 regular season MVP). But when it was the playoffs he always stepped up and played better than anyone ever has. And thats what matters in the end.

All you have to do is watch him play. The game was effortless and there was NOTHING defenses could do. This isn't like Kobe or Jordan making contested fadaway jumpshots with a hand in their face. You can't do anything about that, but how often are they going to make that? With a guy like Shaq he could just get inside and overpower anyone and there is NOTHING defenses could do. When a guy is dunking it down your throat and you are powerless to stop him you are looking at the greatest player ever. And if he wanted to change it up, he had a beautiful touch around the rim, he had a feel for the offense and could always find the open man when help came, and caught cutters all the time.

7'1
    7'7 wingspan
    350+ pounds
    Athletic enough to get his head at rim level despite pushing 400 pounds

You will never see an athlete like that ever again.
    the only time i will ever agree with tonymontana. cant believe im saying this, but well done.

Could you name the all-stars of those opposing teams? The garbage teams he dominated don't impress me. If he had done this shit in the 90s against Hakeem/Ewing/Robinson he would have a say. But all 3 of his Finals opponents were shit, when he finally faced a good defensive squad in 2004 he showed how dominant he is. Only good big man he faced in those years was Duncan, and he is a PF.

Now if he played against Wilf, Russel, Kareem and put up those stats then you could have a case for GOAT.
    [COLOR="White"].trolled.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Could you name the all-stars of those opposing teams? The garbage teams he dominated don't impress me. If he had done this shit in the 90s against Hakeem/Ewing/Robinson he would have a say. But all 3 of his Finals opponents were shit, when he finally faced a good defensive squad in 2004 he showed how dominant he is. Only good big man he faced in those years was Duncan, and he is a PF.

Now if he played against Wilf, Russel, Kareem and put up those stats then you could have a case for GOAT.
    [COLOR="White"].trolled.[/COLOR]
    True, Shaq wasn't doing much and wasn't very good in the early and mid-90's.

Dammit...white text got me. Should've known better.
    Last edited by KG215; 07-21-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Shaq never scored 69, 70 or 81.

Offensively I've never seen a player dominate a game like 2000 Shaq. It wasn't just his high efficiency scoring, but also the attention he received every time he touched the ball. We're talking about a guy who averaged 30ppg on 57%... while facing consistent double/triple teams. Shaq was also a defensive force in the paint, despite the misconception that he was a lazy defender.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Offensively I've never seen a player dominate a game like 2000 Shaq. It wasn't just his high efficiency scoring, but also the attention he received every time he touched the ball. We're talking about a guy who averaged 30ppg on 57%... while facing consistent double/triple teams. Shaq was also a defensive force in the paint, despite the misconception that he was a lazy defender.
    In 2000, Shaq was a DPOY candidate (finished second in the voting). What he did before 2000 and after 2000 defensively is irrelevant when discussing that particular year.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    He never tried to either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
    I guess since Wilt scored 100, that should end all debate.

[COLOR="White"]cue rationalizations[/COLOR]

Yes he is