Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe, Jordan, and 40 point games.

no he won't. happy?

Decent playground baller hack_a_shaq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ruslan
    no way in hell, u can bet that. he has more than half way to go

AI woulda had more if he stayed in philly
    Clarify.

kobe could be scoring more than he is now, but as has been said already, that wouldn't be the right call. i'm not saying he can "turn it on at will", but if he's looking to fill up the scoring column, history has shown that he is more than capable. he's putting up 20 shots/game to avg 26ppg right now. in 2005-2006, he put up 27 shots per game to avg 35 points. if he starts chucking, he'll put up big scoring games left and right again. that's a lot different than saying he can just snap his fingers and be automatic, but it is saying he has some measure of control over how much he's putting up.

at the end of it all, none of this matters. while Jordan scored by the truckload, he was also the top defensive sg in the league for a very long time (playing at the same time as guys like gerald wilkins, alvin robertson, joe dumars, etc), and most importantly, seemed to be able to win games simply because he decided to. there were times it was absolutely ridiculous. chicago would be down, and you'd see jordan and pippen during a timeout, free throws, etc look up at the scoreboard, shake their heads, make eye contact... and then wind up sparking a run to win the game. guys who got to watch them a lot will know what i mean when i say that there were a lot of occasions when it just seemed like jordan went "f**k this. we're going to win. lets go." and it would happen.

kobe hates to lose. jordan often just wouldn't let losses happen. not really sure how else to put it.

National High School Star

chicago would be down, and you'd see jordan and pippen during a timeout, free throws, etc look up at the scoreboard, shake their heads, make eye contact... and then wind up sparking a run to win the game. guys who got to watch them a lot will know what i mean when i say that there were a lot of occasions when it just seemed like jordan went "f**k this. we're going to win. lets go." and it would happen.
    Absolutely.

Lakers could of used 40+ from Kobe in games 4 and 6 of the Finals last year. What was his average during the Finals anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Corky McBiff
    NO and hopefully not. IF Kobe still has to score 40+ with this team around him, then it's not a good sign.

Rings > 40 point games
    Amen

end thread

Learning to shoot layups F.Sanford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Can we stop this please? Seriously. Just stop. I hate these comments that Kobe can "turn it on" at will, whenever he wants. If that were the case, he would never go through the shooting woes he usually has, especially in the post season.
    You should practice the use of simple logic. Because he can "turn it on" and score a lot more doesn't mean he can't struggle or be shut down.

So please, stop perpetuating the myth that Kobe can score at will, because if that were the case, that would mean he has struggled and lost on purpose.
    I can't find where someone said he was a magic genie and was unstoppable.

If you don't understand that Kobe, especially on this current team that actually has some talent around him, could fairly easily score another 10+ a night you either don't watch much basketball or you shouldn't be...

Rings > 40 point games

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Amen

end thread
    Then Jordan > Wilt, right Cris.

Learning to shoot layups F.Sanford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by puppychili
    Lakers could of used 40+ from Kobe in games 4 and 6 of the Finals last year. What was his average during the Finals anyways?
    I think he averaged around the same number of points that the Bulls won games last year.

Or was it the number of millions you overpaid for Deng?

Or was it the combined jersey numbers of the players Paxson thought were to valuable to trade for Kobe?

Sorry, can't remember exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by puppychili
    Rings > 40 point games

Then Jordan > Wilt, right Cris.

Why yes I agree with that as well.

But if that is true can we say Russel > Jordan?????

Quote Originally Posted by F.Sanford
    I think he averaged around the same number of points that the Bulls won games last year.

Or was it the number of millions you overpaid for Deng?

Or was it the combined jersey numbers of the players Paxson thought were to valuable to trade for Kobe?

Sorry, can't remember exactly.
    Dictionary: deflect

To turn aside or cause to turn aside; bend or deviate.

For the record. Laker fans would have loved to get Deng at the time he signed his deal.

The number of Bulls wins enabled them to get Rose who is a future stud.

The one positive for the Bulls last year is that they didn't trade for Kobe.

Paxson should be fired at the end of this year and Del Negro is a joke of a coach.

All of that above though doesnt change the fact that Kobe and the Lakers choke in game 4 and showed no heart in game 6. Kobe also played more like Katie Jordan that Michael Jordan for the majority of that series.

And it was a serious question. What was Kobes average for the series.

What's so amazing is that MJ walked away from the game twice. The first time he was at his peak, and missed a season and most of another. The second time he still had gas in the tank.
    Yeah but in the 90's defense were a lot weaker and points counted rather differently.

For instance, 30 points in todays era are equal to approx. 76 points in the 90's.

It's just the rules and NBA inflation that needs to be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Why yes I agree with that as well.

But if that is true can we say Russel > Jordan?????
    I would say rings + 40 point games > Rings.

But I see the game you're playing and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riker
    Yeah but in the 90's defense were a lot weaker and points counted rather differently.
    Defense a lot weaker? GTFO because it's obvious you didn't even watch Jordan as a bull. As far as perimeter players, MJ attacked the basket without a restricted zone. While guys like Wade can just throw themselves into the lane, and if the defender even is set, if his heel is on the line, the offensive player automatically gets the call. There wasn't a 3 second rule, so post players didn't have to worry about clearling out the lane all the time, they just needed to be aware of their position to avoid the illegal defense call. While players couldn't double off the ball, they could collapse and help as soon as MJ made a move towards the bucket, and they allowed more contact from defenders. Weaker defense? Stop watching moronic youtube videos made by Kobe fanatics.

For instance, 30 points in todays era are equal to approx. 76 points in the 90's.

It's just the rules and NBA inflation that needs to be considered.
    you = moron

National High School Star

Defense a lot weaker? GTFO because it's obvious you didn't even watch Jordan as a bull. As far as perimeter players, MJ attacked the basket without a restricted zone. While guys like Wade can just throw themselves into the lane, and if the defender even is set, if his heel is on the line, the offensive player automatically gets the call. There wasn't a 3 second rule, so post players didn't have to worry about clearling out the lane all the time. While players couldn't double off the ball, they could collapse and help as soon as MJ made a move towards the bucket, and they allowed more contact from defenders. Weaker defense? Stop watching moronic youtube videos.

you = moron
    it is sarcasm
    Last edited by Scott Pippen; 01-06-2009 at 05:17 AM.