Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Default Be honest, did you think LeBron would be this good in 2003

I'm not a fan of him but I can't deny his greatness.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re: Be honest, did you think LeBron would be this good in 2003

Not at all.

NBA lottery pick

Yeah lol he was the chosen one. I didn't think he'd lose 3 finals though

Never watched basketball in 2003.

Was his hype coming out of highschool really that high?

I've seen youtube videos of commentators on his nationally televised H.S. games saying "Shoot like Bird, Pass like Magic, etc."

did anyone think LeBron would quit tha cavs to join two superstars and also form one of tha most stacked rosters in NBA history in 2003?? Shit...Even I didn't see that coming.
    Last edited by Real14; 07-24-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleKong

I've seen youtube videos of commentators on his nationally televised H.S. games saying "Shoot like Bird, Pass like Magic, etc."

NBA lottery pick

They were televising his games as a junior, back then high schools didn't get on Espn

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Yeah lol he was the chosen one. I didn't think he'd lose 3 finals though

Dick Vitale is an idiot who commentated some of his games.

Actually, yes.

To be honest, I thought he'd be even better. His at times passiveness is the only thing that has ever held him back.

His first televised ESPN HS game he showed all the skills, a passing ability I rarely have seen in players. Incredible ball handling. Stunning athletcism, and a body already built to play pro ball by his junior year. He seemed poised, and intelligent on the court. Dominated his senior year even with intense pressure, and scrutiny.

Then his first NBA game in Sacramento? He still matched the hype. His first year was amazing. Then every year after that he got better, slight regression in 2007, only to make another massive jump from 2008 - 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    did anyone think LeBron would quit tha cavs to join two superstars and also form one of tha most stacked rosters in NBA history in 2003?? Shit...Even I didn't see that coming.
    To be honest, that's how I see him. I would have respected him so much more for winning a title eventually in Cleveland. I still remember how dirty the kid was in his rookie season. I was surprised of how he as already a borderline all star at 18. I thought his jumpshot wasn't good enough to drop 20+ a night.

Yes, SI coined both "King James" and "Chosen One" when he was going into his junior season in high school. This gets dulled a little over time and the "next big thing" comes through but the hype was even greater than Wiggins (in a dramatic sense). The only two players who were really on the level that Lebron was as a high school player (and probably would've been even greater given how social media is today) were Kareem and Ralph Sampson, no one else is even really close.

Yes, I felt given Cleveland's history that it would be very difficult to win a ring here for the simple fact this isn't a place for free agents to come. That's proved to be true so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Actually, yes. His first televised ESPN HS game he showed all the skills, a passing ability I rarely have seen in players. Incredible ball handling. Stunning athletcism, and a body already built to play pro ball by his junior year. He seemed poised, and intelligent on the court. Dominated his senior year even with intense pressure, and scrutiny.

Then his first NBA game in Sacramento? He still matched the hype. His first year was amazing. Then every year after that he got better, slight regression in 2007, only to make another massive jump from 2008 - 2010.
    09 LeBron was insane. And I totally agree with your description, I used to watch games with my friend and his ball handling in high school was really unheard of. I personally was a little skeptical of his passing ability. He threw some really questionable passes at times. I was just more stunned by his athleticism to be honest. And his ball handling and basketball IQ for that age is what really appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Yes, SI coined both "King James" and "Chosen One" when he was going into his junior season in high school. This gets dulled a little over time and the "next big thing" comes through but the hype was even greater than Wiggins (in a dramatic sense). The only two players who were really on the level that Lebron was as a high school player (and probably would've been even greater given how social media is today) were Kareem and Ralph Sampson, no one else is even really close.
    IMO Kareem is the greatest high school basketball player ever. Dude was filthy in the NYC high school basketball scene. Led his team to 96 wins and a 71 win streak in high school. NYC high school basketball is tight.