Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Will Duncan and Dirk announce retirement during their last season like Kobe?

Timmy doesn't really have major health issues, right? I think he can still keep on going pass 40. But he can still always choose to go other directions.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Will Duncan and Dirk announce retirement during their last season like Kobe?

Dirk does not want it, he mentioned it in an interview in one of the latest Sports Illustrated. I believe it was something to do with does not want that must spotlight, wants to just walk away when he's ready.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    LeBron would probably also do the same as kobe and announce it during his final season because he is as much of a attention whore as Kobe but would dirk and duncan also do the same?
    LeBron will. If Duncan and Dirk announce it, it will be out of answer a question from a reporter honestly, not something forced. I could see a reporter ask Duncan if it is his last and him saying "Probably."

regardless the discussion if dirk "earned" it or not:

Unlike Bryant, Nowitzki has no interest in a farewell tour. “I don’t want people to high-five me everywhere I go or make this a big deal about me,” he said. “What [Derek] Jeter did or what the closer, Mariano Rivera, did—every ballpark you get some gifts, you know, sausages in Milwaukee?” Nowitzki shook his head, shifting onto one elbow. “No chance I’d ever do that. I’m not the guy who will say, ‘This is my last year.’ ” He paused. “When I’m gone, I’m gone.”

This shouldn't even be a question if you've followed either of these guys. Whenever they hang it up, it will be at season's end that they announce it.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    regardless the discussion if dirk "earned" it or not:
    Bullsh*it false modesty because he knows no one would give a flying f*ck or make a big deal about him retiring at all except for a couple of f*ggot Mavs fans.

Decent playground baller

Kobe taking the LeBron approach: Quitting before the game is over.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

LeBron would probably also do the same as kobe and announce it during his final season because he is as much of a attention whore as Kobe but would dirk and duncan also do the same?
    There should be new rule that East Coast shouldn't comment on shit that happens on this side of the states because you all seemed to be misinformed or just dumb.

Behind the scenes it was common knowledge Kobe was retiring, Mitch announced Kobe would retire this season in the summer. He only announced it mid season because people were crucifying him for playing like garbage, namely the media. Now they hang on every shot hoping for a vintage game.

It was to change perception of whats arguably his worst season ever.

Local High School Star Dr Seuss's Avatar

other team owners LOVE this kobe tour. theyre making bank off it. dont be surprised if other teams try to do this to their beloved, historic players in order to fatten up their wallets even more

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    You're so corny. LeBron is a 4x NBA MVP and 2x Finals MVP. He's a more accomplished and better individual player than Sidekickbe. By they time LeBron retires his son is now playing in the NBA. I can see LeBron being an effective player until 39-40 cause he has a much higher Basketball IQ than Ballhogbe, and also a better team player.

LeBron Jr is also going to surpass Kobe. I can see this kid demanding to be traded to the Lakers during draft night. No need to waste your prime on a losing team while you can play with a prestigious franchise like the Lakers.

LeBron James Jr, Dwayne Wade Jr, Carmelo's Son, and even CP3 Jr are going to be the one who's going to give some tribute to the King. Those Kids were born from 2002-2006. And they are the real future of the NBA
    Not one of them will have a notable nba career. Just stop.

Local High School Star Dr Seuss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    LeBron Jr is also going to surpass Kobe. I can see this kid demanding to be traded to the Lakers during draft night. No need to waste your prime on a losing team while you can play with a prestigious franchise like the Lakers.

LeBron James Jr, Dwayne Wade Jr, Carmelo's Son, and even CP3 Jr are going to be the one who's going to give some tribute to the King. Those Kids were born from 2002-2006. And they are the real future of the NBA.
    you are such a weird mother fcker. and i mean that in its literal sense.

Pretty sure one if not both are in fact playing their last season (or at least full season).

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    Most likely they won't do it. Not because they are "humble" or some such nonsense the Stanleys will try to feed you.

But because deep down inside they know they'll never get anything close to the farewell tour/response that Kobe has gotten.

It's like being the accomplished but unpopular kid that invites his whole class to his birthday party and makes a big deal about it only to find almost nobody shows up or gives a sh*t about them. That's Duncan and Dirk. They don't want to be that kid. So they'll just "announce" their retirement in the offseason and slowly fade out into obscurity.

LeBron will definitely try to replicate Kobe's farewell tour. He'll most likely announce it even BEFORE the season starts, so he can milk it for all its worth.

ESPN will try their hardest to hype it up and pretend like LeBron's farewell is some seminal moment on par with Kobe's, but you won't see the same type of genuine reaction from the road crowds nor will you be having the next generation of players saying that LeBron was "their MJ". Players will instead say that Steph Curry was their generations MJ/Kobe.
    How stupid can you be? David Robinson announced his retirement in 03 and had standing ovations everywhere he went.

if you honestly think Duncan or Dirk not announcing their retirement would have anything to do with Kobe. I can't think of two players who care less about what the masses think than them. Now you're comparing them to Kobe who has said multiple times this season that he thinks about Duncan topping him in rings and gets worried.

There's nothing wrong with a player like Lebron or Kobe announcing their retirement the year of. Kobe was getting bombarded with retirement speculation and questions and Lebron undoubtedly will too, why not put it out there and be done with it?